Security Cams Feature Request

First off, I read your post. And I didn’t see any string leading into it, so no, that wasn’t read.

I did, however, read the documentation. And the documentation from Ring is that it only sends when there’s something being recorded.

You’ll note that the 100gb per day is for continuous recording. And I honestly don’t care if I consumed 30TB in the month… I’m not billed (nor capped) on traffic. If I did care, I’d simply have whittled out that section of the motion zone.

In our most heavily frequented room, I’m seeing only 14gb per day. As in, the room that is almost continuous recording when someone’s home. On Nest’s lowest setting, you’ll be moving 1.6gb per day in data – add ~20% overhead for the real number… and have a video quality so low you’d might as well not bother.

So, no, Ring doesn’t need to do anything about this. It might be nice to have, but there are plenty of other things that Ring _ needs _ to do. What _ you _ need to do is get a data plan that can handle the traffic you’re wanting to put on the network. 1TB per month is just pitiful for modern streaming and IoT use.

And I’ll use however much snark I want, thankyouverymuch.

1 Like