Security Cams Feature Request

It would be great if you would come out with an DVR that I could plug into my router, and that would allow for 24 hour recording, at least of my powered cameras.

Add feature to all cameras to set up alerts for individual zones.

For example, if I set two zones up on my camera, one watching my street and one on my walkway leading to my front door, I want to be able to get notified by the relevant zone.

I think it would be ideal to be able to record all activity without alerts but be able to see the important alerts from the same camera.

1 Like

In my neighborhood, car break-ins and thefts are rising. They tend to occur between 12am and 5am. They also tend to hit multiple houses within geographic proximity, as the thieves walk from house to house. It would be great if your servers could set Trend Alerts, where if multiple camera’s motion sensors are being triggered within a neighborhood, within certain hours (say, 12am - 5am), it is shared with users in the affected neighborhoods and the local law enforcement. This would enable users and law enforcement to respond as the incidents are occurring in near real-time.

1 Like

Any plans for a hidden camera? I think my roommate is stealing from me and I want to validate by putting a hidden camera in my bedroom.

1 Like

They sell on Amazon a bunch of hidden cameras for low prices if needed now.

Please add a select all/select multiple for deleting recordings. Having to select each one to delete when I just want to delete them all is a pain.

1 Like

@Dude wrote:

Please add a select all/select multiple for deleting recordings. Having to select each one to delete when I just want to delete them all is a pain.

This is already possible. On Android, long press on a video and in the upper right hand corner there is a “…” that has a Delete All. It’s also possible to do this on the Ring.com website and Windows 10 app. I don’t have iOS but I’m sure there is an affordance for this there too.

This feature only supports scheduling Motion Alerts, not motion detection itself. (Referring to settings from a stick up cam battery).

You should have cameras voice out a warning when it detects people, saying, " Warning you are being recorded". to deter thieves. Have an option where it can be scheduled and turn off and on.

That way if your not able to do it yourself at the time it will still scare them off. Better yet have your own recorded voice response so they think your home.

This is a really smart suggestion. It might not necessarily be a “camera feature” in the sense of you actively set something on your camera, but it seems like it could work along with the Neighborhood Alerts that are already in use (“Reports of a structure fire in your area” are what I see a lot).

My only thoughts are that privacy may be a concern, or that false alarms are pushed in the event it’s a rural area and it’s animals moving about.

I would like to set the motion sensitivity based on object size, so I could set it to detect anything larger than a cat. Currently, even with the motion sensitivity set to the lowest setting, my spotlight camera above my garage alerts me to squirrels, blowing leaves, cats, etc. that I don’t care about. If I set it to “people only” mode then it won’t alert me if someone pulls a car into my driveway.

1 Like

I like the idea, I suggested quite a while ago that it allow for a personal recorded message, such as used in voicemail. e.g. “I’m busy and can’t come to the door right now”, “you’re being recorded”, etc…

1 Like

I have two spotlight cameras, front and rear. What I’d like is an option to link the two so that if the alarm is triggered on one, the other camera would also sound the alarm. You can link them for recording and lights so it shouldn’t be too hard to implement I wouldn’t have thought.

I already use the motion schedules so I don’t get alarms when I’m home, but the camera is still recording and sending to the Ring cloud everything that’s happening in the home. I know there’s a way to turn off Recording, but you need to manually enable it, and eventually, the long-promised “Modes” might help.
I would like to suggest a feature that Recording is only running when Motion is enabled, and have it tied to the Motion Schedule. So when I’m away I can look in on the camera and Motion is reported, but if Motion is disabled, the Video Recording is disabled. Or could we have it so disabling Motion via a schedule doesn’t just disable it on my phone but actually turns off Motion reporting to the Cloud?

Thank you Crazy Cat. Never thought to long press one of the recordings.

The power cord offered on the ring site is rather short. It would be nice if longer power cables were offered for the Ring stick up and spotlight cameras (exterior). For example, 35’, 45’, 50’. Either that or allow multiple shorter cables to be connected together for the desired length. Another option would be to sell spools of cable and easy to connect adapters for both ends, allowing customers to create their own length runs. Exterior outlets on homes are usually limited and long power cord runs are required.

Hi!

Like the HW especially the PoE camera is great since no need to charge batteries all the time.

But for all the other cameras and probably the doorbell too I would like a power save mode.

Especially the cameras I have in the backyard-garage etc I only need them on if the alarm is away or maye for the home setting and im sleeping I might want them on. Rest of the time its just waste of energy and I also get same push notification that someone is in my backyard.

Sure I know its me!

You have a redit thread on this so expecting to get an ETA back when you will implement this !

https://www.reddit.com/r/Ring/comments/blf198/motion_alerts_only_when_security_system_is_armed/

A couple of more feature requests since I have been having smart things for 5y and ring is great but behind in many areas.

1. Allow for other sensors and/or do some slim door sensors. (Aeon labs has some great sensors)

2. Let the phone app disarm with proximity. If ring app sees home wifi or BLE at least give an option to disarm.

3. Allow for 3rd party integration and entusiast community.

4. Make an standalone watch app

The thing about spotlight cam that worries me, is it could be very easy for a potential thief to sneak up behind the camera, and pop the battery out thereby rendering the camera utterly useless. Ring need to manufacture an accessory to either secure the battery door with a security screw, or make use of the screw holes in the bottom of the batteries to make them unable to be taken out without removing the security screw first. Surely this is a given and should already be in place.

I have enjoyed using my Ring indoor cameras since the start of December 2019. However, I’ve unplugged all of them, due to using excessive bandwidth. In December, my data usage went from 550GB in November to 1.2TB. So far in January, I’ve always used 513GB of data. The only things I added to my network were the Ring Indoor cameras.

Since I have a 1TB cap with Comcast, I’m given 2 free months to exceed my 1TB allowance before they charge me a ton of money for overages. Considering I’ve already consumed so much data, I have no choice but to unplug my cameras to see if that reduces data usage.

I’ve already called Ring support on this, and they had no answers. I also have 2 Nest Protect outdoor cameras, and they allow the ability to change video resolution (and thus data usage). Ring needs to add this feature to its cameras, or I’d expect many more people will have issues like mine, and people will walk away from Ring cameras.