Ring Spotlight won't turn on

My ring spotlight camera wont turn on. It showed it was out of battery on the app so i replaced the battery with a charged one and it wont turn on now. I have tried multiple batteries even buying brand new ones. I have also tried to do the rest of hold down the button at the top for 20 seconds and still no luck. When I put a battery in the red light inside the battery turns on but thats it. Any other way to troubleshoot would be helpful.

1 Like

Hi @KBoles. At this time, if your Spotlight Camera will not reconnect or complete a setup, please attempt the following:

• Ensure both of your batteries are fully charged (if you have two), or has been charging for several hours.
  • Ensure there is no debris in the battery hatch and that the hatch is closed.
  • Press the setup button on the Cam and complete the setup in the Ring app.
  • If lights flash and setup is not completing in the app, please remove and reinstall the Ring app on your mobile device, disable VPN, and have your wifi router close to your Camera (if possible). You can also see if you can set up the device on another Ring app on another phone you can log into.
  • If lights do not indicate setup mode on the Spotlight Cam, or setup is not completing, perform a reset on the Camera by holding the setup button for 20 seconds and try the setup again.

If the above steps do not result in successful setup or operation, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please go here to see how to contact support.

I didn’t have an issue like this, but I did come across this when I was trying to figure out how to disable the lights during a motion detect.

If you haven’t tried messing with the Motion Zones, do that…create a zone.

In the link below, it kind of implies you might have to do this.

Worth a try if you haven’t done that yet.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000311583-Controlling-the-Lights-on-the-Spotlight-Cam-Battery#:~:text=Tap%20on%20the%20Light%20Settings,on%20when%20motion%20is%20detected.

Did you fix your ring spotlight cam? I have exactly same issue. I used fully charged battery and it worked with different ring device. So nothing wrong with the battery.

1 Like

I’m having the exact same problem with out ring spotlight cam. We’ve purchased a new battery thinking the old one had died, and the cam is still not turning on. No light at the bottom, cannot reset. It’s only 18mnths old, surely it should last longer than this?

2 Likes

This is the second spotlight camera I have had this issue. Battery was low replaced with fully charged battery now can’t access the camera. It is the spotlight camera with solar. The first camera was out of warranty so purchased this one. Now looks like I’m out $400. I have another spotlight camera not on solar and have replaced batteries for over a year without issues. Not sure if it has anything to do with the solar connection

Just fixed one went and reset up using just the battery cam setup not the solar. It did a firmware update and also noticed it was setup for solar. It is back up and working and the battery is showing 100% now.

Ok, so I had the exact same problem with on of my cams, the batteries in both cameras lost charge while we were moving house and only one of the cameras turned back on when re-charged batteries were inserted, the other did not, even when brand new batteries were purchased, charged and inserted. Its not a battery issue because I’ve tested the batteries in the camera that’s working and they’re fine. So I called Ring support. The first chap asked me to remove the batteries while his advanced suppport team sent some instructions over the ether to the camera, and he told me that after 10 minutes, to re-insert the batteries and all would work fine. Not so. The second call got me a very different response. It appears that some cameras have a known defect whereby they will not re-start if the battery goes dead in them. If that is detected before the one year warranty expires, then Ring will replace the camera. If it is detected after the one year warranty expires, tough luck.
So, in my case, I had the cam connected to a solar panel, and I live in Dubai so there’s no problem with lack of sunlight, and the battery never went dead in the cam. Until I moved house and put it in a shed for a few weeks. So the fault wasn’t detected in time before the warranty ran out because arguably I spent more money than I should have on Ring products (solar panels). So I have to buy a new cam. The advice would appear to be that you should allow the battery in the new cam to go dead, see if the cam has the known common defect, and get a replacement under warranty from Ring if so. There you go folks, customer service Ring-style.

1 Like

Absolutely mine is 19 months old and stopped working last month. Smh if I wanted a camera that would last this short amount of time I wouldn’t have spent so much on a ring camera and got a much cheaper brand. Did you get any help from customer service?

1 Like

We have had this happen with two (2) different Ring Spotlight Cams now. Very frustrating!! Fully charged replacement batteries won’t power unit or allow a reset. It is like power isn’t making it from the batteries to the Spotlight Cam. Have switched batteries, flip-flopped batteries & tried everything.

2 Likes

Same issue. Battery died on a solar camera (not sure how that happens but okay). Recharged battery. Device will not boot up. Red light comes on solid upon inserting battery. Device nonresponsive to single press or 20-second press on button.

1 Like

Having the same issues with my spotlight camera with fully charged batteries the camera will not turn back on. Tech support simply said they die just like we do and theres only a 1 year warranty…lovely thanks for nothing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.