Ring Products

After using Ring devices for the past 4 weeks; 4 cameras and a doorbell…I’ve come to the conclusion that…

All of your products are pure garbage and I’m sorry I ever thought for a minute that any of them would do anything even halfway decent.

That’s pretty much all I have to say right now. Carry on. :smiley:

1 Like

Here’s my list of constant issues:

**Ring Doorbell: **

My house faces a somewhat busy street and no matter what motion setting I use, it constantly just alerts me to almost every single movement and sometimes no movement at all. I can walk up the stairs to my front door and the alert won’t go off until I’m 12 inches from the doorbell. This is my 2nd device because I returned the first one that did the exact same thing. I already spent 1.5 hours on the phone with support and did everything to troubleshoot it to no avail. It simply does not work as its supposed to. I’ve adjust every setting at least 50 times.

There’s a nifty new PEOPLE ONLY feature which is complete BS. Just about every car that passes by activates the camera. Why is this even a feature if it’s activating the device when a leaf blows down the street?

My internet is solid and have the best router Verizon offers, have a great signal and have reinstalled the app and reset all the settings multiple times. I’ve installed a wedge and tried every setting imaginable. I love how when setting it up it asks if I live facing a street and asks how far the door is from the street; 5 to 15 feet, 15 to 30 feet or 30 feet or more. What difference does it make? PEOPLE ONLY means it’ll only activate for a human being, right? Nope. The wind blows and I’m getting an alert there’s motion at my front door.

Battery Spotlight Camera

I’m so sorry I bought this thing. This has got to be worst piece of electronics I ever owned. This thing deserves to be swatted down with a baseball bat and put out of its misery.

Only sometimes will the LIVE VIEW actually activate. It’s got a strong WiFi signal and I can be sitting three inches from my router and it just refuses to activate. Sometimes it does and I’m thankful and celebrate that Ring actually made something work some of the time.

I read somewhere some people have to turn off their Bluetooth setting to get it to activate. That doesn’t work for me at all and to be honest I wouldn’t do that anyway because it’s 2020 and that’s not the way things should work these days.

I dread changing the batteries in this thing - simply dread it. Although it’s easy enough it just gives multiple problems after the new batteries are installed. The first time I changed them the battery indicator showed I still had the old battery installed. It was very convenient to reinstall the app and reset the network setting before it finally showed up.

The second time I changed them the app told me for an hour straight that the spotlight’s door was open when it clearly was not. Again, it was awesome to reinstall the app and the settings just to make that bogus message go away.

I just changed them again today. This time the camera preview on the dashboard was blank for about an hour. That was great. I can’t wait to see what goes wrong the next time I change them out. I just can’t wait.

I’ll say it again…so sorry I ever spent the money on these products in the first place. I spent a lot of money for security for my home that don’t even do what they’re expected to do. It’s like having 1985’s technology for a home security system in 2020.

If I had the option I would tear down everything, throw it in a box and send it back to Ring and never look back. I’ll tolerate as long as I can, but I can see the baseball bat coming out in the near future. The only thing that Ring has gotten right so far was billing me. That department doesn’t seem to have any issues, but their R&D department needs to clean out their desks and go find a job that they might be good at.

If anyone from Ring reads this, please by all means, share my thoughts at your next round table pow wow. I’d love to hear what Jamie S. has to say.

1 Like

Hi @Jeff sorry to hear that you feel this way. Our support team is available 24/7 to help with any questions or concerns. We also have an amazing support center that dives deep on certain topics to ensure that your device is up and running to its fullest potential.

The Ring Community is a site where our neighbors can come and discuss Ring products and learn with one another, but please refer to our Guidelines as this post does not necessarily met them. Here they are as a reference.

Keep in mind the angle of your device is extremely important as well as the motion zones. We have created a few helpful articles:

I understand you are frustrated, but we can only help if you allow us. Feel free to send over a picture of your field of view on your devices and how you currently have your zones set up.

Again, please keep the guidelines in mind with your response.

@Jennifer_Ring wrote:

Hi @Jeff sorry to hear that you feel this way. Our support team is available 24/7 to help with any questions or concerns. We also have an amazing support center that dives deep on certain topics to ensure that your device is up and running to its fullest potential.

The Ring Community is a site where our neighbors can come and discuss Ring products and learn with one another, but please refer to our Guidelines as this post does not necessarily met them. Here they are as a reference.

Keep in mind the angle of your device is extremely important as well as the motion zones. We have created a few helpful articles:

I understand you are frustrated, but we can only help if you allow us. Feel free to send over a picture of your field of view on your devices and how you currently have your zones set up.

Again, please keep the guidelines in mind with your response.

You can deffo sense the frustration in this post and i 100% agree with all the issues.

Why cant RING just officially make a statement that the motion zones and people only / human only modes do not work? i have already been updated by your amazing support centre that you are aware of these features do not work and are looking at fixing this.

Like i have said previoulsy in other posts i can only comment on any issues after Dec 2019 (and there have been a lot, including everything in this post).

I was thinking about getting the video door bell but glad i didnt after reading that they also have the same issues as do the spotlight cameras.

This community is great with all the learning you can get as well as solutions (not directly from RING mind you), but for these motion and modes issues there does not seem to be any solutions.

Jeff, just have to set your expectations.

If you expect Ring cams to perform like a REAL security system, it WON"T

Ring products are more like a hobby type of device. Almost like an expensive DIY camera system. If you want real security that works when most important, unlike Ring that seems to capture every cat and dog in the neighborhood walking by but when someone steals a package from your doorstep it misses that one.

Amen Jeff! I couldn’t agree more… Not sure how long you’ve had yours but my product used to work great until they started rolloing out all these “New” software features and now even the base software settings have rendered by Ring Doorbell useless. I have all the same issues you do and I will not even consider upgrading or adding any new products. I am tired of this. I get all the vehicle alerts but never someone coming to the door unless they actually ring the bell… I’ve had countless packages delivered and I get no notifications whatsoever until the delivery truck pulls away, “sometimes”. I have the device to thwarte or at least view package theives but this is now even useless for that… with or without the people only settings all I get are passing vehicles and blowing tree branches (Which are above the motion detection area, explain that one to me)… I mentioned it used to be great and I loved it and it’s been mounted in the same place without being moved or changed so this the problem is almost certainly software related. I am looking into a Nest or another brand for a replacement. This is certainly not worth the $30 a year.

@Jeff622 wrote:

Here’s my list of constant issues:

**Ring Doorbell: **

My house faces a somewhat busy street and no matter what motion setting I use, it constantly just alerts me to almost every single movement and sometimes no movement at all. I can walk up the stairs to my front door and the alert won’t go off until I’m 12 inches from the doorbell. This is my 2nd device because I returned the first one that did the exact same thing. I already spent 1.5 hours on the phone with support and did everything to troubleshoot it to no avail. It simply does not work as its supposed to. I’ve adjust every setting at least 50 times.

There’s a nifty new PEOPLE ONLY feature which is complete BS. Just about every car that passes by activates the camera. Why is this even a feature if it’s activating the device when a leaf blows down the street?

My internet is solid and have the best router Verizon offers, have a great signal and have reinstalled the app and reset all the settings multiple times. I’ve installed a wedge and tried every setting imaginable. I love how when setting it up it asks if I live facing a street and asks how far the door is from the street; 5 to 15 feet, 15 to 30 feet or 30 feet or more. What difference does it make? PEOPLE ONLY means it’ll only activate for a human being, right? Nope. The wind blows and I’m getting an alert there’s motion at my front door.

Battery Spotlight Camera

I’m so sorry I bought this thing. This has got to be worst piece of electronics I ever owned. This thing deserves to be swatted down with a baseball bat and put out of its misery.

Only sometimes will the LIVE VIEW actually activate. It’s got a strong WiFi signal and I can be sitting three inches from my router and it just refuses to activate. Sometimes it does and I’m thankful and celebrate that Ring actually made something work some of the time.

I read somewhere some people have to turn off their Bluetooth setting to get it to activate. That doesn’t work for me at all and to be honest I wouldn’t do that anyway because it’s 2020 and that’s not the way things should work these days.

I dread changing the batteries in this thing - simply dread it. Although it’s easy enough it just gives multiple problems after the new batteries are installed. The first time I changed them the battery indicator showed I still had the old battery installed. It was very convenient to reinstall the app and reset the network setting before it finally showed up.

The second time I changed them the app told me for an hour straight that the spotlight’s door was open when it clearly was not. Again, it was awesome to reinstall the app and the settings just to make that bogus message go away.

I just changed them again today. This time the camera preview on the dashboard was blank for about an hour. That was great. I can’t wait to see what goes wrong the next time I change them out. I just can’t wait.

I’ll say it again…so sorry I ever spent the money on these products in the first place. I spent a lot of money for security for my home that don’t even do what they’re expected to do. It’s like having 1985’s technology for a home security system in 2020.

If I had the option I would tear down everything, throw it in a box and send it back to Ring and never look back. I’ll tolerate as long as I can, but I can see the baseball bat coming out in the near future. The only thing that Ring has gotten right so far was billing me. That department doesn’t seem to have any issues, but their R&D department needs to clean out their desks and go find a job that they might be good at.

If anyone from Ring reads this, please by all means, share my thoughts at your next round table pow wow. I’d love to hear what Jamie S. has to say.

You are correct garbage. Slow connect,doorbell lost its volume tried everything ring suggests guess what can’t talk to people at door because volume is in hearable. Going to sell this junk and get good stuff from Sam’s club. The volume problem with doorbell is well known to ring you would think the money people spend for this stuff they would beat them selfs up trying to make it right. Guess that’s how big business goes.

WOW!!! This person nailed it & I like the customer support response too. Nothing against the person working there they are just told what to say or read it out of a manual. They could care less about the issues & just need a paycheck so kudos to them. Best response should be none at all sometimes cause that’s just frustrating more. I too agree that the ring products don’t live up to the advertisement & no they’re not a DIY hobby either. The products are meant to supply security & this product fails on so many levels it’s really a disappointment. They’re basically a cash grab operation & that’s just too bad. All I can say is that you’re not alone bud there are many people out there having the same issues & even worse. Where someone broke in my house & just recorded them leaving. Didn’t record anything else but according to Ring the issues will always be on you not them. Too bad that they don’t take responsibility for how bad their products. True shame!

My experience with Ring Products has been exceptionally good. I have the unwired doorbell ver 2 and use a dc adapter which charges the battery. I have stick up cams with solar panels and indoor cams under all of my house eve’s. I have had this setup for over 4 years and no issues. I utilize several amazon echos with it to view my cameras by voice and I use my fire TV sticks to view multiple cameras on my tvs. When were watching TV and a guest presses the ring doorbell, the movie continues with a split screen showing live video of the guest and I communicate to them using my fire stick tv remote. I have helped more than 2 dozen friends/family/neighbors hook up their Ring products and all of them continue to be happy with their Ring cams. I am a solid happy camper with Ring. Not as happy with the ring neighbors app as my videos are always rejected by ring for posting. I did have one ring camera fail and this was my only exposure to ring support and I gave up trying to replace it. Even still their products are well worth the money.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.