Ring Flood Light Camera detecting vehicle headlights

My Flood Light camera has all of a sudden started recording when it notices vehicle headlights. My motion sensitivity is set in the middle, and my motion zones for lights is set in the middle. None of my motion zones are set for the street.

Any suggestions would be great!!

2 Likes

Hey @Jeffrey! Thank you for sharing your experience with the Community. With the Floodlight Cam having a 270 field of view and a 140 degree range for motion detection, there may be times where objects outside the zones will trigger the lights. We recommend minimizing these to the smallest zones if something is triggering it too often, as well as sensitivity. Of course, test what works best for you as every environment is different.

If it continues to pick up vehicles, try physically angling the Floodlight Cam slightly differently. Let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Following all the headlight posts. Same issue on Floodlight and Pro Doorbell. Sensitivity is set down to people only on both. I can try to adjust the Floodlight down. Doorbell is flat or course. Sensitivity helped the doorbell a little but not the Floodlight so far. On a rainy night with reflection forget it…they both go off with headlights clear across the street.

I’ve had the camera for way over a year and this problem has just started. I don’t think adjusting the camera in a different angle will help. It picks the headlights up several houses away. I’ve set the sensitivity lower with the same outcome. I’ve attached 2 files showing that the cars are not at my house. NONE of my zones go to near the street.

Ring_Camera_Right - in the picture the car is coming from the right and isn’t even past my niegbors house.
Ring_Camera_Left - in this picture the car is coming from the left and is no where in sight, but the headlights have triggered my camera.

Also adding the “Ring_Camera_Right” file

I have the same problem, and it seems to have gotten worse in the last few months. Headlights, out of the motion zone, set the camera off no matter what the sensitivity setting is. Annoying. I don’t see a good response from Ring to this …

@BarryC wrote:

I have the same problem, and it seems to have gotten worse in the last few months. Headlights, out of the motion zone, set the camera off no matter what the sensitivity setting is. Annoying. I don’t see a good response from Ring to this …

Same problem here with headlights and the stick up cam. Healdlights are over 200’ away. Just start maybe last 3 months or so.

Same here. Very frustrating. I just swapped out a Spotlight Cam Battery for a Floodlight Cam specifically for the greater motion zone customization. This works great until it gets dark. Now, I am frustrated for a completely new reason! This is absolutely unacceptable Ring!

I have the exact same problem, picture attached. My motion zones don’t go anywhere near the road, they are basically set just past the first two cars in the driveway. You can see the headlights coming down the road, at least 30 feet out of my motion zone. The only way I can get them to stop is to turn on people only mode, but that kind of defeats the purpose, if there is one car in the driveway on a given night, I want to know if a car pulls in.

Same problem here picks up headlight 200 feet away but not a person 2 feet away. Come on ring fix this already. My 20 led flood light works better than this. Had it replace by ring only to have it burn out from over use.

Any update on this issue ring? Having the same issue every night for both ring video doorbell pro and spotlight cam wired…

A post was split to a new topic: Video Broadcast

Has this been resolved yet? Has ring ever provided a fix for this? Thanks

I have noticed something interesting about this issue. I watched in Live view when cars go by at night. My motion area is very limited to just the middle of our cars. When a car goes by in the street, the lights reflect on our cars. As the car gets closer, the reflection gets stronger. I wonder if the camera sensitivity is sensing the reflection as a person walking past the cars? It only seems to trigger the camera at night when the headlight reflection moves along the sides of the cars! I bet if I moved the cars or put a cover on them so there would be no reflection the camera would stop triggering!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.