Ring Cameras connect to my Wifi or Base Station

I currently have an alarm company whose name starts with A and ends with T. I hate how my cameras are always failing. They fail because they connect to the Gateway’s Wifi, not my home Wifi (which has a wonderful Eero mesh system).

I am wondering if the Ring cameras connect to my home Wifi network, or do they connect to the Ring Base Station? I’m thinking of switching over my cameras and everything to Ring and want to make sure they will be better and not have the same problem.

Glad you asked @mrcannon! Our Video Doorbell and Camera devices will certainly connect to your in home network. Eero is an excellent network solution to use for our devices.

The Ring Base Station will only be needed with the Ring Alarm system, as it is used to connect and communicate to your Alarm devices. Same goes for Smart Lighting and the Smart Lighting Bridge. Ultimately, anything Camera enabled will connect directly to wifi! :slight_smile:

1 Like

If the cameras only connect to WiFi, does that mean that if the power goes out and the wifi connection dies that the cameras will essentially go dead to? Ideally it would use the base stations connection to allow for recording.

Hi @MichaelT. If there is no active wifi connection, your cameras will be offline. Once your wifi is restored, you cameras will reconnect and resume normal operation. The Base Station does have a cellular backup, but this is used to communicate with the monitoring station, and not a connection source for you cameras. I hope this information helps!

1 Like

I just moved to a new house and I can’t seem to detect my camera

Hi @DogPalace100. Try taking your Ring Camera through a fresh setup in the Ring App. You can do this by following the steps under Set Up a Device and following the prompts to get your Ring device connected to your wifi network in the new home. I hope that helps! :slight_smile:

I have several properties where I use the Ring svc. I have recently been asked to install cameras only on another property. However, this time there is no base station present. They only want me to install the cameras. I don’t know where to begin regarding the installation on the app without a base station.

Hi @user75540. You do not need a Ring Alarm Base Station in order to use Ring Cameras. You will connect the Cameras to the WiFi router in the home you are installing them in. This Help Center page has setup guides for each individual type of Camera.

Hi. I have a Jobsite Ring alarm base station and cameras. I have installed the stick up cam using my home internet and took the Jobsite items to the site and now my camera shoes as offline. We only use the backup internet at our jobsites. How do I connect the cam to the base station? Hope you can reply.

Hi @WP1. For this, you’ll need to reconnect your Cam to the Ring Jobsite when you are at the Jobsite. You can reference this Help Center article here to assist you.