Restricted Motion Detection Zones?

On Spotlight and Stickup Cams the area over which you can set a customisable detection zone appears to exclude the top part of the screen area that the camera can see (see image attached).
Why can’t I extend a detection zone into this area?

1 Like

Yeah same problem here, very annoying

1 Like

Hey there. This is indeed an odd issue. I would try these few things. First, see if you are able to complete your detection zone by using a different mobile phone or tablet. Second, make sure your mobile is up to date. Then, uninstall your Ring app, reboot your mobile, then reinstall the Ring app. Once it is properly installed, login and see if you are able to complete the desired Motion Zone. If this provides no success, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times.

Hey neighbors! Chiming in for Tom here. The error that you are running into is actually by design. You can read more about this in our Community post about this feature update here, but the note in particular to call out from the article is as follows: " Note: Motion zones can not be extended to the full area of your Live View when creating these zones. This is because the area your camera covers is slightly larger than the area your motion sensors cover."

Please note that you may not be able to cover your full live view, but the boxes you are drawing is the area that your motion sensor on your battery device can cover. You will not run into this when drawing zones for hardwired/powered devices such as the Ring Pro, as the motion sensing technology in it if from Advanced Pixel Detection and not PIR Motion Sensors like the battery devices. Hope this helps clear this up for you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have 4 Ring devices, about 2 1/2 years in, and my annual Ring Plus renewal is coming up. The restricted motion detection zones (“by design”) will probably make me ditch the system in favor of I don’t know what yet. My camera on the front of the garage will alert me if somebody walks in front of a car parked in the driveway, but not if someone breaks into any of the doors. The patio camera won’t tell me when someone comes through the gate; only when he gets almost to the front door. The alternative in both cases is to adjust the camera so that at least the top half of the view is sky. Sky is not what want to see. This was not the way it worked when I bought all this stuff. I have put up with this because I had an investment, but I don’t think I want to throw more good money after bad. REALLY bad design, Ring!