Record motion before going live

I’ve noticed if I click live view within a few minutes after someone was outside my house I lose all the motion event recording recently before I clicked live view. Is there a way to not block the recording. More specifically I know for sure that when you get a push notification to see motion it never records the motion it captured, it just records from when I click live view. That’s kind of troubling because I really need the footage from when the event occured not when I happened to look at my camera and the event is already over. Is there a way to improve this experience?

Hey @tayeke. Are you having trouble viewing your recordings after an event has happened? This is what it sounds like, and please note that you must have an active Ring Protect Plan in order to view recorded videos and Live View events after the fact. If you have a plan and are still having this concern, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I have the paid plan for 3 devices. I’m not ready to wait on hold to address this. The concern I’m wondering if other people have is that if you answer on your phone “motion” events, you do not get a recording from before the “live” event starts (which means it’s you answering). Answering motion essentially removes the record of motion having occurred.

@tayeke The reason I urge reaching out to support for your concern is because if your event history consists of recordings like how you described, it seems to be not by design and how it should be. When your camera senses motion, it will start to record for 30 to 60 seconds, depending on what kind of device you have (battery or wired). If you answer a motion event and go into an ongoing Live View and then answer the Live View, the event should still be stored for you from up to when the motion was recorded. It sounds like you are losing the however many seconds of recording you should have before you click on the notification, which is not by design. If you do not answer an event, you can view the full motion event in the history the same way as if you did not answer it. Answering an event and going into the Live View will just make the recording longer in your event history, for up to 10 minutes.

1 Like

Chelsea_Ring Thanks for confirming this for me. We’re definitely going to call support about this then!

1 Like