Poor RSSi on stick up cam battery

Hi all. I purchased a Stick up cam battery today with the Ring Alarm system coming in the next couple of days. My set up involves a Vodafone router, a Netgear extender 3 meters away, another 5 meters is the conservatory with the cam on the outside. My RSSi in -62 which I believe is very poor and as a result the live cam view is sticky. Anyone have any suggestions on how to increase the RSSi and will the addition of other cams and door sensors etc plus the ting extended in the alarm pack help the signal to the cam. Thanks in advance. The cam is on the 2.4 GHz signal.

*ring extender*

Hey @PM95. In the search of looking for ways to improve your RSSI, you can check out our Help Center Article here for more information on RSSI and how to adjust it. Please note that the Range Extender that is included with the Ring Alarm is to extend the Z-Wave range, which is what all Alarm devices communicate on, in comparison to the cameras that talk on wifi. Therefore, the Range Extender will only help out the Alarm pieces, but it’s best to try to address and improve your RSSI now, as the addition of more cameras/doorbells to the network may increase the RSSI value, as well as slow down the Live View, as more device as using the network at once.

You will also want to ensure you have the appropriate upload/download speed, as most of our Ring devices required 2 Mbps upload/download. The Base Station will also need this, but you will not need to worry about the sensors/Alarm devices needing that, as they will talk to the Base Station’s Z-Wave signal it creates once set up. This means that if you have 3 cameras/doorbells and 1 Base Station, you will need to ensure your ISP is giving you at least 8 Mpbs upload/download, and that that is stable and not being used by any other devices in the home. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Chelsea, thank you so much for the reply. I managed to get the RSSi at both cameras around -40 by messing around with the Wi-Fi extender location, so I’m happy with both live views now. Alarm installed today and I’m delighted. Only issue is the constant alerts from the motion sensor even though the alarm is currently disabled…bit annoying. Thanks again. ?

@PM95 Awesome news to hear! I’m so glad you were able to play around with it and get it running like it should. I may be able to help with those pesky alerts too, as I had to turn them off for my Motion Sensors for my Alarm. Are you talking about those alerts - the ones from your Ring Alarm Motion Sensors (not camera)? If so, go into the Ring app > Main Menu > Devices > Alarm Base Station > Motion Sensor (go one at a time if you have multiple) > and toggle Motion Alerts off. I felt no need for these myself, as I already know I’m the one walking around my home. :joy_cat: Rest assured, you will still get an alert on that Motion Sensor setting off your alarm when you do arm it, so I felt no need to have this additional alert myself! :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Thanks Chelsea, followed your advice and it turns out it was motion alerts from the indoor cam rather than the motion sensor ?..don’t know how I put my own shoes on in the morning…! ? Thank you!!!

1 Like

@PM95 You crack me up! :joy_cat: No worries, I think I did the same thing when I set up my Indoor Cam… got me very confused to. Happens to the best of us! Hope you’re staying safe and well during these times, and as always, feel free to always come to the Community to help other neighbors or follow up on anything you may need down the line. We’re here for you. :catvery-happy: