Outdoor cable

I am in UK and have an outdoor camera. It is supplied with two cables. One connects yo the camera andcan be plugged into a socket. The heavier cable can be connected to the camera cable. I take that the heavier cable has some form of shut down protection should the cable get wet. As the other cable has a wallwart that probably only supplies 5V do I need the heavy cable if the other cable will pass through a wall and be plugged into a dry indoor socket; socket to camera is two feet as socket us just the other side of the wall to the camera.

Any advice please?

@athegn wrote:

I am in UK and have an outdoor camera. It is supplied with two cables. One connects yo the camera and can be plugged into a socket. The heavier cable can be connected to the camera cable. I take that the heavier cable has some form of shut down protection should the cable get wet. As the other cable has a wallwart that probably only supplies 5V do I need the heavy cable if the other cable will pass through a wall and be plugged into a dry indoor socket; socket to camera is two feet as socket us just the other side of the wall to the camera.

Any advice please?

Hello @athegn ,

There are Two Cords , and I realize my explanation might be difficult to understand, so I’ve attached two pictures. Even though I am in the U.S.A. (note in my picture, the wall socket plug is the U.S. version “2-bladed-version” instead of the normal UK 3-bladed plug), but the use of these cables should be basically the same.

The Two Cords , when attached/combined together , the length is 22.9 feet total (> 7 meters).

• The First cord is a bit over 8.2 feet long, (2.5 meters). It has a custom-fit jack that inserts into the back of the Stick-up cam. The other end of this cord has a small, weather-proof electrical 5V transformer that accepts an adapter. This transformer already comes with the 2-bladed (3-bladed UK version for you) power-adapter clicked securely in place.

• The Second cord total length of 14.9 feet long is thicker and also weather-proof. Just the wire cord portion is 14.6 feet long (4.5 meters), and the transformer adapter part adds another little amount to the length. It has an adapter that can connect into the 2.5-meter cord’s transformer. The other end has a non-removable bladed-power socket-end.

You have two options available for you:

• If you do not need the additional 4.5-meter portion, you can just use the 2.5-meter, and keep the 3-bladed-adapter plug in place. Even though the shorter (thinner) 2.5-meter portion of the cord will be outside, it too is waterproof.

• If you require more than 2.5-meters, firmly press on the “Push” button and slide the bladed-adapter off the transformer. Then slide on the 4.5-meter cord’s adapter until it clicks securely in place. This will take a bit of physical pressure, because there is an orange gasket on this adapter to provide a water-tight electrical connection. This adapter also has 4 holes for mounting screws to secure the transformer to the wall.

So basically, have a weather-proof 2.5-meter cord length, OR the option to combine the two cords to convert it into a single, longer 7-meter cord. Several of my outdoor cameras were routed through the wall and to a dry- indoor socket without the need for the additional length of the thicker 4.5-meter. But for some of my outdoor cameras, I did need the extra combined length.

I hope my explanation is not too confusing, and it is helpful to you. :slight_smile:

https://ring.com/collections/all-products/products/indoor-outdoor-power-adapter-barrel-plug

https://ring.com/collections/all-products/products/indoor-outdoor-power-adapter-micro-usb

1 Like