Options for storing live video instead of with Ring?

Is there an option to store you ring videos anywhere besides ring? I have a new network switch in my home with 2TB of storage and I want to store my videos here. I see no need to spend $10 a month to have ring store my private security videos when I can store it here. And if need be, I can send that to the authorities.

I see no option on my ring account to do that.

@jarbarian wrote:

Is there an option to store you ring videos anywhere besides ring? I have a new network switch in my home with 2TB of storage and I want to store my videos here. I see no need to spend $10 a month to have ring store my private security videos when I can store it here. And if need be, I can send that to the authorities.

I see no option on my ring account to do that.

Hello @jarbarian ,

Sorry. Currently, after your free one-month trial period, you will need a Ring Protection Plan subscription to store motion-activated videos and “Snapshots.” Once on the Ring “Cloud” you can download to store videos from that cloud. Without a subscription, you have the “Live View” ability only. As far as I know, there isn’t a way to directly take the “Live Feed” video and store that directly onto a private system.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001671383-General-Information-on-Ring-Protect-Subscription-Plans

https://shop.ring.com/pages/protect-plans

You can save some money by purchasing your Ring Plan on a year basis. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why not change that? It’s OUR videos, we should be able to store them anywhere we want. I have my own cloud storage at home. The videos are my property. I’d rather NOT hand over control of my property to ring and instead, manage it myself.

Some people cannot do it, but I can. I have the ring protection program, but what does it protect? No the camera system, just my private property that I do not believe I should be handing over to ring at $10/mo AND they make money off of it. NOT COOL.

That should be easy to do, add a feature to store our videos elsewhere.

Make it happen!

You can download all the videos you want.
Ring has always been cloud based. If you didn’t want that, then why did you buy it? If you want total control you need a DVR system. I own both. 2 systems to backup each other if needed. I don’t get why anyone doesn’t do research before buying into a system to see if it has what you want. But then demand it adds it or is a failure for not having it. It makes no sense…

You don’t “get it”??? LOL

Ring charges you $10/mo to store YOUR property on which is most likely on AWS. I knew that when I bought the cameras, but at the time it was not owned by “Amazon”. Now that Amazon owns RING, I am less inclined to store my videos on Amazon’s AWS and PAY them for it. It’s my property, I should have an option to directly store my videos OUTSIDE OF RING! Easy to implment, but then again, it’s a CASH COW for Amazon/Ring, so of course if not enough consumers complain, they aren’t going to change it.

We, as consumers, should have a choice And you’re right, I do have one.

I can toss ring anytime and I most likely will when these Gen1 stick up cams die out.