No Live View

It turns out my issue was related to the latency of my VPN program. Once I turn it off, everything works fine.

iPhone X iOS 13.4

2 Likes

I am having a similar issue. At home on my WiFi network I can see the live feed perfectly. However, at work, on celular data only, I cannot. If I connect to our corporate WiFi it works perfectly but I prefer to keep my device off of the corporate WiFi. Regardless of how I am connected, it always records the events and I can rewatch them, I just cant go live on cellular data.

I also have this same exact issue with Amazon Cam for our interior security. On WiFi it always works and on cellular it never works.

I am using an iPhone X running IOS 13.3 on Cricket wireless (AT&T towers)

Perhaps I should point out the following (possibly-related) issue I’m having in hopes it might help in resolving the more-critical Live View problem: In addition to my Ring cams (@ two different residences), I also have a Ring alarm system for my home. In the past, my home alarm system gave me a push status alert on my AT&T android phone immediately after the 30-second audible countdown that informs me that my system is “armed”. At about the same time I started experiencing issues with no-Live View while on mobile data, there was significant latency on this push alert for my home alarm system – I started getting the “system-armed” push alert, after exiting the range of my home Wi-Fi, when I was in transit – almost across town.

It seems to me that mobile data may be at the root of the problem, but I am hesitant to point the finger at my mobile data provider, just yet, since I’m aware that all major service providers throttle data to some extent. While my carrier uses “Lookout” as part of its basic mobile security package (which Ring suggests should be deleted), I’m reluctant to relinquish this feature since it also allows me to block my numerous unwanted calls/texts. Disabling VPN (as Ring suggests) doesn’t, by itself, solve my Live View problem.

After a couple months, I’m still hopeful that the problem can be resolved with an app fix – even if it means eliminating some of the accumulated “bloat” that may be excessively taxing mobile data. I’m experiencing the same Live View issue with the newer/supplemental “Rapid Ring” (Live View) app.

Why “Live View” is important for me: I found that siren alarms provided on my Ring cameras are not loud enough to meet my needs. My workaround was to assemble a simple, inexpensive, but effective, 140dB siren alarm using component parts from Amazon – 12V DC siren alarm, AC/DC plug-in transformer, and a smart plug. After determining (through Live View) that the situation warrants activation of the louder alarm to deter an “intruder”, I can easily do it through the other (smart plug) app. The key to this workaround is the ability to timely access Live View through my Ring security cams when I am not connected to a Wi-Fi network.

I and my wife have the same problem getting Live View to work on my Galaxy S10 through either the Ring App or the Rapid Ring App. Works fine on Wifi but on Verizon Cellular 4G with great signal Live View doesn’t connect to any of my cameras.

This is a newish problem but I don’t recall when i first noticed it… I did install the app on my son’s Moto phone running Android 9 and Live View does work for him on cellular data so this makes me think its and Android 10 or a Samsung Galaxy 10 issue. I’m leaning towards an Android 10 issue since the issue may have started with the recent update to the new OS.

Now Ring just needs to fix it!

1 Like

Found the problem… if you have Data Saver turned on Live View will not work, even if the Ring app is set up as a exception. Turning off Data Saver fixed the problem.

9 Likes

Brilliant, Jverge!!! IMHO, Ring owes you something more than just words.

This was most likely caused by Samsung. Google just caught them modifying the software where they were not supposed to. Just a guess right now. I haven’t seen exactly what they modified.

good catch jverge - this worked for me

you might want to post it in the other thread on this topic

Yes Jverge you’ve solved it! I tried allowing the ring app to use data whilst on data saver weeks ago but it didn’t work but as soon as I turned data saver off it works again!

Thanks this fixed my issue and such and easy fix

1 Like

I had to come back and find this solution! I remembered participating in this thread and not having this problem, but it just started to happen to me.

My guess is a stupid Samsung or Android update jacked with my settings because I also got a data warning and discovered my wifi had been turned off. I didn’t do that, like most people I want wifi to autoconnect all the time so I would never turn that off. Had to be an update.

Clearly the engineers and developers used for phones and apps are not geniuses or their updates wouldn’t screw up people’s phones and apps.

I’m having this issue too. I have data saver turned off but it’s still not viewing through wifi. I can view the cameras through my PC hooked up to the LAN using the Ring app in the microsoft store.

If I put my router in access point mode it works, so that’s a workaround. Still don’t like having my router in ap mode as I can’t have some of the features enabled.

I’ll be testing it out tomorrow on my wifes Apple phone.

I even tried creating a guest network and connecting the doorbell to that network, no dice. :frowning:

Here’s the crazy thing, This only happens when I’m using AT&T internet…

I tried through t-mobile hotspot, works like a champ.

One thing to consider is that with a good portion of schools closed and people working remotely this could just be a bandwidth problem.

I did test my phone on wifi (Verizon Fios) and 4G (Verizon) and things appear to be working on my Samsung S10. Still have the problem issue when Data Saver is on though… I wonder if that will ever get fixed by either Ring, Google, or Samsung.

How do I find and turn off data saver?

On my Android phone it is under “Settings -> Connections -> Data Usage”. Then there is a toggle to turn it off or on

1 Like

Looks like the latest Samsung update fixed the problem on my S10 phone using data saver. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where do I turn off the Data Saver feature? In the Ring app itself? In my iphone settings? If so, how should I go about doing this?

Thank you work for me.

Can you please elaborate more on how to solve this Data mode? Is this on the phone or ring app ? If you can share steps please on iphone or similar