No Live View

Great point. I need to switch off the power on the floodlight cam then back on and see if it requires a reset. That’s a deal breaker for me and I’ll send the thing back if that’s the case. It requires climbing a ladder to reset the floodlight. Not something everyone can do with ease.

I’m sorry you have this problem remotely. You buy a product that tells you it can be your eyes while you are away, then it doesnt work.

I now understand the folks (customers who answer questions) on Amazon, who, when I asked questions about the product, replied “do not buy” and “good luck”.

1 Like

I have had a similiar problem with some Arlo cameras requiring that I press a reset button from hundreds of miles away. I solved that, at least in part, by putting these indoor cameras on smart plugs that I can turn off using smartthings, then back on. This seems to reset the camera and get it back online. Won’t work with a battery operated doorbell cam for sure but you could probably put a spotlight/cam on a smart switch and recycle it that way.

I am pretty sure my Ring 2 Doorbell camera is going to be pretty useless to me once I leave home. It will need some kind of attention I can only give it if I am here. I think I will be sorry I invested the money in it.

Thanks will give it a try when we return home unfortunately not until March.

I also have no live view on one iPhone (iOS 13.3), the other one works fine. Funny that, although “Activating Device” pops up and the blue ring spins, it is recording. When I go back to history, all attempts to activate live view have been recorded. But as others have mentioned, I would prefer live view worked so I can see in real time. Not sure why it would work on one phone ut not the other?

If I had known how frustrating this was going to be I would not have bought ring

6 Likes

I did a test from about 80 miles away and pretty sure on cell signal, not wifi, and I was able to see live view just fine, fairly quickly. I’m on a new Samsung Android phone.

What Ring did tell me is, if you get a motion alert, be sure to either tap on the pop-up (which goes away ridiculously fast and still haven’t found where I can lengthen that. They tell me its a cell phone setting not a Ring setting) or swipe down from the top of the phone within 30 seconds and it will connect to live view. That seems to work OK. They say if you try to go to live view by opening the app AFTER an alert and tapping on live view within 30 seconds, it wont, because it has to finish the recording cycle. That seems like a flaw to me. Why could it not allow you to go to live view, from any direction including opening the app without affecting recording? It’s a software issue bug. It’s basically the same function as using the swipe down notification menu.

I think I’ve decided to keep the camera, but it still has some stuff I’d like to see improved. It works “good enough” and was easy enough to install and set up. Not great, but OK. We really wanted primarily a camera facing that way we could see on our phones because there is no fast way to see that direction from our house quickly without running to the only window facing that way at the extreme upper end of the house, and also something that will pick up people, where our driveway alarm only detects cars (steel). It does that, but still is alerting on a cat at night and my wife’s van pulling in and out of the garage while in “people only” mode…both due to reflections from glass/paint shine on the van and a stainless steel table in view at night that the lights reflect on, the best I can tell from the behaviour, my own testing and the Ring statement about reflections triggering motion when its not supposed to. They know this camera has this flaw. Disappointing…but I will keep it and deal with it.

Thanks for sharing that information. I will try swiping to see how it works. I too am very frustrated with the shortcomings of this Doorbell camera. As has been said elsewhere it does not seem to me that this was really ready for the market yet. I am a Smart House geek and this has been one of my more frustrating devices. I am sure it will be totally useless to me if I am not close enough to home to keep pulling the battery and resetting the camera to try and get it to do it’s job.

My current biggest gripe is that it takes so long for the camera to sense movement and turn on that those of us who just walk up to the door and come it (as opposed to ringing the bell and standing there) barely get recorded at all. I have tried all setting but it seems impossible to pick up someone more that five feet out without also getting every car that passes by - jus the tailights if I am lucky. It seems like movement towards the camera does not trigger much until very close. I would most likely onle see the back of a Porch Pirate as that is mostly what I see of the delivary people.

I’m still in the Amazon 30 day window and struggling whether or not to send it back along with the Chime/Extender that I should not even have needed in the first place. Increasing my RSSI from -54 to -33 (when it is working) has not made any difference with my complaints.

1 Like

I’m not able to receive live veiw on my backdoor cam. I can get it on my front door doorbell.It’s been a week or longer. Any ideas?

I have EXACTLY the same issue. What phone do you have ?? My husband has a Galaxy Note and his works perfectly away from home. I have a S10+ . Both work at home but mine does what yours does when it is using mobile data. Started after the Android update last month

I have the same issues, I am very disappointed with the product.

1 Like

I first started experiencing exactly the same issue as Cn2017 describes around the end of last year. While on a trip to Japan last summer, Live View worked perfectly for my Ring cameras in Hawaii (albeit with a slightly-added “lag” response) with mobile data provided by AT&T’s international providers in Japan. Suspecting that the issue may have been related to a Ring app and/or Android update, I gave the matter some time to resolve itself. After months, the issue persists. After chatting with a Ring customer service representative last night, I stumbled upon this discussion thread. Just in case it matters, I use a Samsung Galaxy S10e phone.

Hey neighbors! I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their experience in detail. Live View connection concerns are often related to network or mobile device connection, and so these are the best variables to start with. Please check the following:

• A good RSSI, or signal strength, in the Device Health section of your Ring app.
  • Battery is sufficiently charged if applicable.
  • Wifi speeds, interferences, and distance to router.
  • Test live video on Cellular data only, and on wifi only, with your mobile device.
  • Remove the Ring app, and reinstall the Ring app on your mobile device.
  • Disable bluetooth, vpn, and close any other open apps on your mobile device.
  • If you are using Android, please check out our help center article about conflicting apps to see if it applies.

Feel free to keep us updated on the results, and please let us know if any of the above steps help to resolve your concerns.

there’s another thread on the same topic. I also have a Galaxy S10+ that live view on data stopped working with Update 11 a few weeks ago.

When you post here, remember to list your phone, OS, and version/update#

It turns out my issue was related to the latency of my VPN program. Once I turn it off, everything works fine.

iPhone X iOS 13.4

2 Likes

I am having a similar issue. At home on my WiFi network I can see the live feed perfectly. However, at work, on celular data only, I cannot. If I connect to our corporate WiFi it works perfectly but I prefer to keep my device off of the corporate WiFi. Regardless of how I am connected, it always records the events and I can rewatch them, I just cant go live on cellular data.

I also have this same exact issue with Amazon Cam for our interior security. On WiFi it always works and on cellular it never works.

I am using an iPhone X running IOS 13.3 on Cricket wireless (AT&T towers)

Perhaps I should point out the following (possibly-related) issue I’m having in hopes it might help in resolving the more-critical Live View problem: In addition to my Ring cams (@ two different residences), I also have a Ring alarm system for my home. In the past, my home alarm system gave me a push status alert on my AT&T android phone immediately after the 30-second audible countdown that informs me that my system is “armed”. At about the same time I started experiencing issues with no-Live View while on mobile data, there was significant latency on this push alert for my home alarm system – I started getting the “system-armed” push alert, after exiting the range of my home Wi-Fi, when I was in transit – almost across town.

It seems to me that mobile data may be at the root of the problem, but I am hesitant to point the finger at my mobile data provider, just yet, since I’m aware that all major service providers throttle data to some extent. While my carrier uses “Lookout” as part of its basic mobile security package (which Ring suggests should be deleted), I’m reluctant to relinquish this feature since it also allows me to block my numerous unwanted calls/texts. Disabling VPN (as Ring suggests) doesn’t, by itself, solve my Live View problem.

After a couple months, I’m still hopeful that the problem can be resolved with an app fix – even if it means eliminating some of the accumulated “bloat” that may be excessively taxing mobile data. I’m experiencing the same Live View issue with the newer/supplemental “Rapid Ring” (Live View) app.

Why “Live View” is important for me: I found that siren alarms provided on my Ring cameras are not loud enough to meet my needs. My workaround was to assemble a simple, inexpensive, but effective, 140dB siren alarm using component parts from Amazon – 12V DC siren alarm, AC/DC plug-in transformer, and a smart plug. After determining (through Live View) that the situation warrants activation of the louder alarm to deter an “intruder”, I can easily do it through the other (smart plug) app. The key to this workaround is the ability to timely access Live View through my Ring security cams when I am not connected to a Wi-Fi network.

I and my wife have the same problem getting Live View to work on my Galaxy S10 through either the Ring App or the Rapid Ring App. Works fine on Wifi but on Verizon Cellular 4G with great signal Live View doesn’t connect to any of my cameras.

This is a newish problem but I don’t recall when i first noticed it… I did install the app on my son’s Moto phone running Android 9 and Live View does work for him on cellular data so this makes me think its and Android 10 or a Samsung Galaxy 10 issue. I’m leaning towards an Android 10 issue since the issue may have started with the recent update to the new OS.

Now Ring just needs to fix it!

1 Like

Found the problem… if you have Data Saver turned on Live View will not work, even if the Ring app is set up as a exception. Turning off Data Saver fixed the problem.

9 Likes

Brilliant, Jverge!!! IMHO, Ring owes you something more than just words.