Motion notifications and mode settings

Hi All,

Well i have installed my alarm system and 5 cameras.

I cant seem to find this function

Disarm mode when at home during day

Away mode when away

Home when I’m upstairs in bed and alarm triggering for anyone breaking in.

So i want to remove notifications of motion when I’m in disarm mode however the cameras still need to record this motion, at the moment when i remove motion in disarm mode the cameras stop recording any motion. This is not suitable because say I’m burgled or attacked at home during the day there will not be a recording of it.

The motion notifications when i am at home are obviously a lot hence why i need to snooze them, but if i set a schedule or snooze them on the app. I will need to do this every day or remove the schedule every time I leave my house.

There has to be a better way from an otherwise perfect system. I love the whole setup but having notifications for motion when its just me at home is irritating and the notification will quickly become normal and wont raise eyebrows when it goes off for real.

If this is not available yet please give me some indication that this feature will be coming asap.

1 Like

I’m with you. I get frustrated over the lack of automation available. I often Disarm my outdoor camera when I get home from work because I don’t want alerts while I let the dog out. I also don’t want to simply snooze to then need to go through and delete a dozen videos. So I disarm it. But then I go to bed and forget to arm my camera. Thankfully nothing has happened, but I would love to be able to set an automation that it arms the camera if disarmed at say, 9PM.

Maybe I need to get into a habit of it, but I was really hoping for something that could work with IFTTT and arm my camera when it detects I left the area. I understand the security reasons why it shouldn’t disarm the camera when I return to the area, but there should be no security reasons why the camera can’t automatically arm itself on some schedule.

2 Likes

Hey neighbors! At this time, there is not a way to adjust notifications based on the Mode that you put your Cameras in. You would need to utilize a Motion Schedule or use the Motion Snooze feature to control the alerts separately from the Modes settings. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this suggestion and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature! :slight_smile:

Caitlyn:

The fact that you can’t record motion without getting notified unless you are on snooze is TERRIBLE. Before Ring develops other products maybe they should improve the ones they currently sale? This is a basic function of every other camera system that I’m aware of.

Jason

1 Like

Hi @jasrot. You can manually disable motion alerts on your Doorbell or Camera and it will still record motion without sending you a notification. However, you would need to manually toggle the alerts back on in order to start receiving notifications of motion again. To do so, open the Ring App > Main Menu > Devices > your Camera > toggle Motion Alerts off. This will disable all motion alerts from your device until you manually toggle it back on.

Caitlyn:

While not ideal its slightly better than my current situation. To be clear can you provide the exact path to turn off alerts, but record all motion?

Thanks,
Jason

@jasrot As long as you do not have motion recording toggled off via the Modes feature, your Cameras will record as normal even if motion alerts are toggled off. You may also find our Help Center Article on Motion Frequency to be useful.

Thank you. Hopefully making these features more useful is at the top of the list.

Agree that with the lack of disabling notifications by a more intelligent automation (Geofencing) or by press of single a button (some global rules similar to Modes) without stopping video capturing triggered by motion as well as snapshots capturing, I don’t see a real value in paying 100 Euros for the Plus Protection Plan. In addition it makes me think about migrating to a different solution.

Hello Caitlyn_Ring
Is there a software update in the pipeline for your snooze motion feature?
I.E individual camera snooze time of groups of cameras
Also increasing the snooze times to more than 4 hours.

This feature is very annoying with multiple cameras currently.

Pleased add the custom ring tones too.

Thanks,

Gary

Hi @UserG. At this time I don’t have any information to share on any feature requests such as updates to the Motion Snooze feature or any other features that have been requested. A good place to look for any updates to the Ring App or our devices would be the Ring Updates board and the Ring Device Tips and How-To’s board. :slight_smile:

when will the updates happen?
Why are updates so slow