Motion detection works but no video

My Ring Spotlight Battery Cam rarely records video or shows live video. Most of the time it never activates or records a black screen. I get motion alerts but when I go to view the video it doesn’t activate the video. The video worked for a week or so, then went bad for a week. It returned for a day then has been bad for a week now. My Device Health is good and the RSSI is 46. My WiFi is very fast as well which is a mesh network by EERO. I have a Ring doorbell that has worked without any issues for over a year. Anyone have ideas?

Hey @ShutterBug ! It is certainly odd that one device’s video is operating just fine while another is not. I recommend power cycling the Cam by removing the battery and reinserting it. If you only have one battery, please ensure it is in slot 1.

If video issues persist, try resetting the Spotlight Cam by holding down the setup button for 20 seconds. This will require a setup to reconnect. Please let me know if this works for you.

Thanks! I’ll let you know how it goes!

No luck!! ? The doorbell still works but the camera won’t activate. Still shows the last time it worked.

Thanks for the update! Sorry to see those steps did not resolve this. Reaching out to our support team would be the best next step, as this concern may require more indepth troubleshooting.

I observed what appears to be the exact issue. Video worked correctly for about a month then stopped abruptly. When attempting to view live video the app gets stuck at “Activating Device”. Other Ring products in same proximity contine to work fine. Signal strength reading says -66 dBm. How was this issue resolved?

Hey @rmaddog! The best first step would be improving signal strength for the best connection. A -66 RSSI indicates possible interference, or a great distance, between your router and Ring device. Check out our Community Post about RSSI for tips on optimizing connection for the best experience. Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

I have also been experiencing the same issue with two of my cameras. I have 5 total. The two that I’m having troubles with both have good signal. The motion works, but then no live video, and they record black screen and no audio to the cloud. Replaced the batteries and reset it but still having the same issue. Sounds to me like they need to be updated, but I don’t know how to update the firmware…if that’s even possible. It’s super frustrating. The other cams work fine, just two with the same issue. Need help!

Hey @Eddiaz00! If at all possible, a great step would be to bring those 2 Cameras inside near the router and test video there. If video works, there may be an obstruction, appliance, or too far a distance between the router and mounting location. If your Cams still do not allow the viewing of video, perform a reset on them by holding the setup button for 20 seconds. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile: