cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

@Mannyshere14

I am in the UK and having the same issues with 3 x Floodlight cams.

 

I have a 'regular' wired CCTV system recording 24/7 but I wanted something to give me instant alerts to catch illegal parking and dumping of rubbish.

 

Previously, the cams worked reasonably well but now with sensitivity turned right down (but not on 'People Only' mode as I need to catch vehicles too) all day and night the cameras catch cats and/or reflections of car headlights from the driveway.

 

I don't know if other brands have more advanced detection?

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

Re: Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only


@justanewbie wrote:

@Mannyshere14

I am in the UK and having the same issues with 3 x Floodlight cams.

 

I have a 'regular' wired CCTV system recording 24/7 but I wanted something to give me instant alerts to catch illegal parking and dumping of rubbish.

 

Previously, the cams worked reasonably well but now with sensitivity turned right down (but not on 'People Only' mode as I need to catch vehicles too) all day and night the cameras catch cats and/or reflections of car headlights from the driveway.

 

I don't know if other brands have more advanced detection?


Hey i feel for you, your not alone - last few days have drove me crazy as we have had some sunshine which makes matters worse with people shadows regardless of settings.  I have had car lights setting them off even when no where near the motion zones but because the lights flash on to the motion zone it sets it off.  The rat was back also had some pigeons! luckly i have turned motion alerts off during the night now to get some sleep.

 

But when i am out i have to turn my phone on silent because otherwise the cameras keep belling off my phone all the time.

 

I am due to follow up with RING again tomorrow sfor an update as i have not had any update on my refund.

 

What i will do is test other cameras out at somepoint and i mean test them out proper, and if they are just as bad then they will be going straight back before the grace period expires.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

The only cameras which seem more 'intelligent' are the Nest Cam Outdoor IQ but at £330 per camera and £24 for recording 30 days for the first camera and then £12 for the next camera, it gets expensive very quickly.

 

I wonder if they have a 'grace period'?

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

Re: Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only


@justanewbie wrote:

The only cameras which seem more 'intelligent' are the Nest Cam Outdoor IQ but at £330 per camera and £24 for recording 30 days for the first camera and then £12 for the next camera, it gets expensive very quickly.

 

I wonder if they have a 'grace period'?


Yeah i was looking at those and didnt agree with the price of recordings.  I am sure most have a grace period.

 

The other one i am looking at is the cameras from Ubiquiti - Unifi Protect - no monthly fee and free cloud storage for streaming and viewing reocrdings - think is always on record - you can get a piece of hardware for it to store all footage locally.  I have the internet networking from them so worth giving them a try also.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

I already have Unifi APs so I have been looking into their Protect cams - they seem good but from the reports/reviews I have seen, the motion detection isn't that great.

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

Re: Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only


@justanewbie wrote:

I already have Unifi APs so I have been looking into their Protect cams - they seem good but from the reports/reviews I have seen, the motion detection isn't that great.


There must be a camera out there that has nailed the motion detection! i have just been on the Nest Community page and you know what it kind of resembles this community..... issues with motion dectection, power, recording and connection issues.

 

 So starting to look like the grass isnt any greener Smiley LOL

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

Re: Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

So I didnt recieve any updates from the escalation or from logistics so i got onto chat support - i spoke to 2 different advisors and they could not obtain an update so sent escalations again - then a team leader took over the chat and issued me 4 replacements in the meantime!

 

So while i await updates i will have the pleasure of reinstalling 4 cameras and then packing the others up to return - i told the team leader i am doubtful that they will resolve the issues but  i have had a change of tatic (i have noting better to do) while waiting i shall keep returning and getting replacement until i get an outcome that i will be happy with!

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

I posted a direct message on Facebook Messenger. It was a typical response asking I do all of the previously requested and submitted info, such as uploading a copy of the video along with a screenshot of settings for each camera. I declined and asked them to review the case file and asked that they post something acknowleging this is a known issue and is being worked. Of course they provided nothing in return. Here is their response:

 

"Our team is always working to improve the motion detection of each Ring device, and we appreciate your feedback. We're unable to provide any specific details on when a new motion detection update will be released, but keep an eye out in the Ring App for any new features."

 

Frankly, this is total BS. Maybe with enough pushback from the community they will post something. 

 

BTW, please post the results after replacing 4 cameras. I am certain this will be worthless. I have replaced 3 cameras due to failure and there is no change whatsoever. I have replaced 2 Doorbell Pro's, 1 Floodlight Cam. The People Detection, we should now call it Cat Detection, doesn't work on ALL devices regardless of being replaced. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

Re: Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only


@B-H wrote:

I posted a direct message on Facebook Messenger. It was a typical response asking I do all of the previously requested and submitted info, such as uploading a copy of the video along with a screenshot of settings for each camera. I declined and asked them to review the case file and asked that they post something acknowleging this is a known issue and is being worked. Of course they provided nothing in return. Here is their response:

 

"Our team is always working to improve the motion detection of each Ring device, and we appreciate your feedback. We're unable to provide any specific details on when a new motion detection update will be released, but keep an eye out in the Ring App for any new features."

 

Frankly, this is total BS. Maybe with enough pushback from the community they will post something. 

 

BTW, please post the results after replacing 4 cameras. I am certain this will be worthless. I have replaced 3 cameras due to failure and there is no change whatsoever. I have replaced 2 Doorbell Pro's, 1 Floodlight Cam. The People Detection, we should now call it Cat Detection, doesn't work on ALL devices regardless of being replaced. 


This is one the most frustrating things with RING.... we know there is an issue.... the firmware has been blamed but yet nothing official being said?  

 

I have been checking the other headings on the community for other devices and there is mention on them about devices going off for no reason etc. but a lot of time and effort could be reduced if there was a section on this community that had a heading something like "known issues" so before neighbours frantically start posting duplicate posts and then feel like they are being ignored it would be a whole lot neighbourly to have something like this?

 

 

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Re: Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

I have had better luck lately. Either no critters or its not picking them up. BUT...it did trigger from some sort of floating alien looking thing that swung in front...It was really freaky looking like it came from the woods then swung back in to the woods. Then the next minute, it alarms again...and it was a spider crawling on the lens...I guess that alien looking thing was something from its web.

 

I thought we could download and save videos if we wanted but I cant see a way to do it, only a way to send a link. I want to be able to save videos to my device and delete them from my events list. No time to start that discussion here...probably wouldn't be happy with the result of an inquiry anyway...

/* */