Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

I have now contacted Ring support 3 times and each time they deny there is a problem and all my devices are working correctly. Until I point out the statement on Rings very own website about pets and PIR sensitivity control where settings are calibrated to ignore heat sources from animals approx 13KGs or less on medium setting. Ring also deny any reported problems on this forum. I received a email from Ring support 3 days ago telling me a update was sent to my devices to resolve this issue. Since then at least 1 of my devices detects nothing. You can dance in front of it and nothing! When will Ring be honest enough to admit there is an issue and concentrate on resolving the issue. Disappointing!!!

So contacted ring again and all my devices were hard re-set. The next evening exact same problem with picking up cats walking across my drive. Again contacted Ring and was advised this issue with motion detection and pets had been logged as resolved for all customers the day before? I again sent videos as requested to prove my cameras were still picking up cats and was then told only a few were still experiencing the same issue?? I am still at a point where my cameras are being turned off every evening. No further timescale was offered for this fix other than asap.

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

I got so frustrated when i got to 40 alerts this morning due to the shadows of humans/people i rang RING.  The lady was very sorry about this and put me on hold - she accessed the footage and was apologised as she clearly seen no human or person had walked into my motion zone but thier shadow did.  She put me on hold again and came back with that they are aware of the issue with people only mode and that it is not working, she said it is being looked into and could not give a timeframe!!

So atleast someone has addmitted!  unless she was just fobbing me off.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I dont know if this will work for everyone but my floodlight cam is wired so I turned off the power to it for a minute or so and now my 80 pound dog doesnt set it off.  Its like rebooting your computer when it is acting up.  I also found by reducing the sensitivity my light doesnt go on as much as it was.  I think everyone should try the power down trick and see if it works. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

@YouStayOut wrote:

I dont know if this will work for everyone but my floodlight cam is wired so I turned off the power to it for a minute or so and now my 80 pound dog doesnt set it off.  Its like rebooting your computer when it is acting up.  I also found by reducing the sensitivity my light doesnt go on as much as it was.  I think everyone should try the power down trick and see if it works. 

I am sorry but i am sure others including myself have tried this quite a few times, i even had to go through it with support team and still nothing.  Personally i do this every couple of days and also reset the whole lot of them and the wifi connections, dont ask me why as they still dont work.

They have admitted there is an issue, plain and simple the features dont work they are broke or whatever they are.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

All of these things may be true. My system behaved last night so I will be interested to see if it continues to behave or not. I will post a reply in a few days as I can test it with my med\lg dog. I do wonder though as it worked fine for the first month and a half what triggered the change. Time will tell.

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Love the George Washington/Gene Simmons avatar!

My floodlight cam has been behaving better lately. Dont know if there just havent been critters or what. Still goes off and records when we back the van out of the garage...yet didnt when we drove back in to the garage...go figure.

I've had black plastic on my stainless topped worktable nearby, that stopped the constant triggering every time the light would come on. But I dont know what I'm going to do about that long term...paint the thing black and just keep touching it up?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Lighting and electronic sensors (or standard opticss) can be a hassle at times.  Have you tried excluding the area of your table top in the motion zone?  You could create more than one zone to be around your table top depending how you are set up.  Vehicles set mine off since its larger than a human but I am the only one back there normally.  It may be worth a try to use more than one zone so there are no more false positives.

George Simmons came to me in a hand full of change one day and has been my face ever since.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I have called them a number of times regarding this. The motion settings do not work. I have tried people settings and tried the lowest sensitivity. It does not work on any of my devices which include Stickup Cam, Ring Doorbell Pro and Floodlight Cam. There is no excuse for this type of systemic failure. I love the products but without this working properly I will be forced to replace with another company. 4 to 5 false motion alarms on EACH camera daily due to stray cats.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Have you confirmed that your device is updating its Firmware (software)?  

Go to settings/device health/firmware; if it says anything other than UP TO DATE then you are on an old version of Firmware.  What this means is that you may not be getting security or motion software updates .  

Ring ultimately sent me a total of 4 replacement devices (and wasted alot of my time) until I finally received a device that worked / successfully updated its software/firmware.  The final device was a NEW device instead of the refurbished devices they typically send out (they obviously have Quality Control problems with their refurbished  process). 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

All devices up to date. Also, doorbell pro, stickup cam wired and floodlight cam are all newer models that recently were replaced. 

/* */