Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Neighbor III

Re: Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

They have drove me crazy today as we have had sunshine again which has caused an insane amount of false alerts (people shadows) plus the usual culprits !

By the way you can download videos to your phone just press the share button and it takes you to another pop up saying what a link and just press share then you will be given an option to download (icon) on my iPhone it’s the one at the end of the line of options to share, so click that and it will start to process the video for download! On iPhone it goes straight into the photos app. Hope that helps.
Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Sorry to read that Manny. It would drive me crazy too. Fortunately we're in a rural area so seldom anyone walks by and I don't get sunshine triggers. I do have one of my driveway alarms, the one at the entrance that goes off almost exactly at noon on certain sunny days though. Cant figure out anything else. It's a gyro/magnet trigger (for cars) but can be triggered by moving it like a squirrel jumping on it, but I've ran up there after triggers and can never see any animal that would cause it. It will just go off multiple times around noon and stop after while...doesn't do it at any other time and that's when the sun is at its peak of course.

Thanks for the tip on the video download. Searching the site did'nt take me there right away and I'm too busy to spend half a day researching it here. You saved me some time and hassle and I appreciate it!

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

No worries glad I could help!

Hopefully these motion issues get fixed soon! Smiley Happy
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Here is the latest review of Arlo on TechHive. Obviously, Ring has a problem if the reviewers are writing this. Maybe a little pressure from competition will help.

"Arlo Video Doorbell review: Finally! A doorbell that can tell cats from people"

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

@B-H wrote:

Here is the latest review of Arlo on TechHive. Obviously, Ring has a problem if the reviewers are writing this. Maybe a little pressure from competition will help.

"Arlo Video Doorbell review: Finally! A doorbell that can tell cats from people"

Hey TechHive may have given it a glowing review....... however i have learnt most recently to always check the community forums of any product that seems to be too good to be true!

Having checked Arlo's community forum i have noticed issues with it, seems quite familiar to some of the issues faced with RING.

Dont get me wrong it maybe better in some ways to RINGs but i now dont tend to rely on what tech review sites/youtube say anymore. Smiley LOL

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

Update.

Its been a few days now since my 2nd lot of replacements being up and running....

Not had any false alerts from the front drive camera yet (have it set on the lowest motion setting and people mode is off)..... maybe the stray cats have not been round? also not had any sunny days so there has been no people shadows to test it with!

The garage cam is still picking up the smoke coming from the boiler flow pipe (the pipe is over 20ft away from the camera).

The Garden cam is still picking up a Rat and birds on the lowest motion sensitivity with people only mode off ( i am now testing it with people mode on). - also getting audio interference on this one so i am looking into the cause of this.

The final forth camera  i have installed indoors to test it out - have managed to figure out a way to stop recordings/motions when i dont need it to and have turned the spotlight off.

I still have all the notification alerts on snooze and also have snooze periods on smart devices - so they are not disturbing me for no reason anymore (not ideal as i amy miss something important).  I just review the alerts when i get up in the morning now and just glad that the rodents in the garden did not wake me at silly o'clock.

Hows things with everyone else?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

No change - being driven mad by alerts from cats and car lights reflecting on a wet driveway - this is on the lowest sensitivity setting.

Selecting 'People Only' mode sometimes limits the number of cat alerts but also misses important alerts that I do want such as cars.

If only there was a cars and people only mode!

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

@justanewbie wrote:

No change - being driven mad by alerts from cats and car lights reflecting on a wet driveway - this is on the lowest sensitivity setting.

Selecting 'People Only' mode sometimes limits the number of cat alerts but also misses important alerts that I do want such as cars.

People Only mode never really did much to resolve the false detections for me..... it just picked up everything and sometimes missed detecting "People"

The sun is shining today and its perfect sun shadow weather Smiley LOL  So the front drive camera is on the lowest motion sensitivity mode - with people mode off - lets see what happens Smiley Embarassed

Highlighted
New Neighbor III

@Mannyshere14 wrote:

@justanewbie wrote:

People Only mode never really did much to resolve the false detections for me..... it just picked up everything and sometimes missed detecting "People"

The sun is shining today and its perfect sun shadow weather Smiley LOL  So the front drive camera is on the lowest motion sensitivity mode - with people mode off - lets see what happens Smiley Embarassed

Update

Ok well i am deflated.... i thought there would be an improvement but nope the people shadows strike again, also had a magpie trigger a motion alert.  The thing is the sun isnt directly hitting the Camera so its not even like its glare from the sun at all.

I am going to give it a few more days and see what happens - i will update Support on this also.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

We don't need fancy "black box" algorithms, all we need is more settings to fine tune the sensitivity and the triggers.
A neighbour's freaking cat gets on my yard at very late hours (3AM-5AM), and the motion alert wakes me up with a mini heart attack. I need the motion alert because I've had people trying to get into the house to steal.
So in this case, a less sensible setting for the white pixels of the white cat,  the car lights, the shadows, etc, would be great.
The super special algorithm you have now for motion zones is just a pixel counter, i.e., it counts how many pixels have changed inside the zone, you're not fooling anyone. So let us fine tune that! Some chinese cameras have this kind of advanced setting.
Leave your pride aside and let us "hack" our motion settings for our own very unique layouts and "false positives".

/* */