Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

My Ring security camera has the motion sensitivity set for people only.  Now it's picking up EVERYTHING from cat size and up.

Anyone know why it's not observing the "PEOPLE ONLY" setting? It gets really annoying when my cat sets off the motion alarm for the 30th time in 2 hours.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

Hi neighbors- the team needs examples! Please give our support team a call at 800-656-1918 or here, describe the situation you're having and share videos with the them. That way,  the team can take a further look into this and continue to improve the 'People Only' motion detection feature. You can also share your motion zones and videos with us here, so other neighbors and moderators can assist with adjusting your motion zones and settings. Thank you. 

For now, I have accepted this post as a solution. While we are aware of this concern and are investigating it further, this is a helpful way for other neighbors that come into this thread to try the  steps recommended. Additionally, this is to help engage our neighbors to provide us more examples to pass on to our team.

Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.

View solution in original post

144 REPLIES 144
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I was told by Ring Support that the Motion Sensitivity doesn't work on wired devices when set to Human Only.  It is over sensitive.  When Ring was bought by amazon, the third party motion software was removed and Ring is trying to "replicate" the features by coding it themselves.  No timeline is available on a fix.   Ring also said that some devices have bad components (manufacturing issue) resulting in some devices not working properly with the software; Ring will replace the device.

My fix:

I  used the LinkedDevices feature to link my doorbell and floodlight camera, I turned off motion sensing on the floodlight cam and I have motion from the doorbell trigger camera recording on the floodlight camera.   Both devices are on the front of the house though. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Thanks David for replying. I too have the doorbell - might be the only solution until they 'FIX' the issue.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I'm not holding my breath... Ring support didn't even understand the "human only" concept. I had to send them the Ring documentation that explained that "human only" feature.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi neighbors! Happy to help with any questions related to motion. @Forkster if you want to send over a screen shot of how you have your motion zones that may be the best next step. Keep in mind, as this help article  states,  where you set the slider will require some consideration of the purpose for which you've put up your Ring device. Also, keep in mind that all valid motion events will still be recorded by your Ring device (i.e. an animal walking through your motion zone), but setting it to 'People Only' will limit these instances. 

Unfortunately, @DavidAugust  I am unsure where you heard this information and am more than happy to review your recent ticket with support. I will certainly ensure proper coaching takes place as there is no 'fix' that needs to happen. The team appreciates all feedback as we are always working to improve how our devices detect motion.  Thank you.

Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I heard this information from Ring Support.  I have multiple Floodlight Cameras (front, back, Garage) and the "HUMANS ONLY" motion setting does NOT work on any of them (cats set it off and occasionally shadows of moving trees).   

Ring has replaced one device 3 times with no change.  

Ring has spent DAYS repeating the same support steps over and over again with no change (and wasting my time along the way).

I had to prove to Ring Support via Ring's own documentation that the HUMAN ONLY setting should exclude pets; it was only then that they shared the additional information on the MOTION software change.  

Ring Support (I have emails) shared that the Advanced Team / Architecture Team is trying to fix the problem (but gave no time commitement for the fix).  Ring Support also shared that this problem spans multiple customers and they've included my devices (via tagging the case) in the open case being worked. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Motion takes time to find the right zones and settings specific to your home. It is best to explore and play around with different zones to find the perfect setting for you. Keep in mind the field of view your device has can also play a role in this. Again, if you would like to share your motion zones please feel free to share here. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Jennifer,  as I stated previously and as recorded in my account, Ring Support spent extensive time reviewing the device, the setup, the zones, recordings, etc...... Ring Support confirmed that this is not a customer configuration issue and the problem was due to Ring's own Software (something Ring was already aware of and working on). 

I hope you are NOT trying to minimize the issue Ring is having with its motion feature.  I would also hope that you are reaching out to the advanced team to get better educated on the issue and understand what Ring is doing to resolve the issue so that you can properly inform customers (suggesting customers go back to their zone setup is not helpfull when Ring is aware of the issue across customers --- doing so degrades customers' trust in the Ring product). 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

@Forkster wrote:

My Ring security camera has the motion sensitivity set for people only.  Now it's picking up EVERYTHING from cat size and up.

Anyone know why it's not observing the "PEOPLE ONLY" setting? It gets really annoying when my cat sets off the motion alarm for the 30th time in 2 hours.

Just curious: Did your camera's motion sensatvity seem to increase recently on it's own?  I have indoor/outdoor POE stick up cams and they just started triggering video with very minor motion that never used to trigger them.

Thanks.

Mark

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Yup. That's why I'm asking Ring.  Jennifer came in and gave the same info I already have, but no fixes. 

Something changed. Suddenly, it's picking up ALL movement regardless of the setting (Motion Settings / Motion Sensitivity).  The right side is all motion, left side says People Only. I have mine on people only yet it picks up all animal movement.

It's frustrating with all the false alerts I get. I rely on this camera (you know, what Security Camera's are supposed to do) to let me know if something as large as a person comes into view.  

I suspect that the algorithms used to delineate between animals and people, take into account the zone sizes and setup, and then coupled camera angels are all correlated are very hard to get right. 

Too bad there is no "false alarm" setting so the camera can learn when it should notify me, and adjusts its setting accordingly based on my feedback. Maybe it's something that could be incorporated into the system?