Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

Amen. This support is more than a joke; it’s a blatant insult

1 Like

@Jojo2: it’s not you, it’s the product.

I have the same issues: spiders, branches, shadows, anything triggers the camera and alerts. Even one single filament of a spider web swinging in front of the camera triggers it.

The Zones don’t work either. It’s so broken, this has to be another fake feature. Total garbage. This is the most counterproductive product I have experienced. The only thing that’d make it worse if the camera would open the doors and say “welcome” to the burglars.

1 Like

Same problem with 4 stick-up cams wired after receiving a software update, saying motion detection will improve on wired cameras. My 1 stick-up cam battery did not receive the software update and continued to work correctly. When setting my 4 stick-up cam wired back to battery operated they started to work correctly again.

1 Like

Having this issue with my back yard camera. Literally every time my dogs go out it goes off. They’re both under 25 lbs. :confused:
Doorbell and front camera *seem* fine. Quite useless at this point.

This thread is coming up on almost a year old and from the number of posts, clearly this is still an issue for us. I am relatively new to Ring as we moved into our new house in June and I installed a Ring doorbell which works well once I got the zones tweaked and have People Only mode enabled.

I have turned on People Only mode on my Stick Up Cam Elite that hangs from the ceiling in my screened lanai. Since we live in FL, there is no shortage of spiders and small flying instects that find their way into the screened lanai. I have the Ring cameras integrated with Alexa so we are frequently woken up in the middle of the night with Alexa saying “motion detected at the lanai”. People Only mode appears to be pretty useless and my plans to rely on the cameras for home security are now in question. I even tried turning People Only mode off and setting the sensitivity as low as it goes but still got woken up in the middle of the night. :frowning:

The lanai camera has alerted on small gnats flying up to the camera, a spider descending a web filament and just a single web filament blowing in front of the camera.

Come on Ring, we need a fix for this so that we can all get a good night’s sleep!

Here are some examples if it helps:

https://ring.com/share/33842cf4-a3ee-4164-9e17-187945442053

https://ring.com/share/76c10875-29bd-4ee2-8ac0-978e7f44af8a

https://ring.com/share/a4ffaaf4-9571-44e0-b43e-319f7e7565b1

2 Likes

They will never respond until there is a class action. Complete and utter fraudulent advertising. Their settings are myths within the app and the tech behind it is clearly incapable of performing as advertised.

1 Like

I just recentley got this and had watched MANY reviews before determining this was the best flood light camera. Very disappointed to see that none of them caught this. I get way too many alerts for cats setting this thing off. Even if i turn off person mode and then set the sensitivity all the down it still picks them up. Might have to send it back.

Hi
Is this problem solved yet as I have just installed a camera and it’s always picking up cats when on people only.
I’m thinking of returning it
Thanks

I have set my stick up cam’s to wired mode and again the motion detection is picking up cats and birds. Setting it back to battery mode and only is working perfectly. It seems to me that this is a software issue that Ring can solve.

@Stevevic wrote:
Hi
Is this problem solved yet as I have just installed a camera and it’s always picking up cats when on people only.
I’m thinking of returning it
Thanks

1 Like

So…I am having this same problem. People only mode is constantly being set off by our dog. Has there been a fox to this yet?

1 Like

I discovered the same thing. I phoned Ring and they just say it’s working fine and “it won’t always be 100% accurate”. It’s like talking to a brick wall.
Works in battery mode. Doesn’t work in wired mode.
How have they not fixed this? It’s been an issue for so long.
I’m a software engineer and I’ve fixed problems much larger than this in a few days. How is this taking them so long?!

1 Like

I am just diving into this thread, I just bought 4 cameras and a doorbell. I have a 25 lbs cocker spaniel and these cameras are useless. They DON’T tell the difference between humans and anything else… this has been going on for a year? I CALLED and ring support his HORRIBLE. I’m shocked this is an Amazon company. The absolutely do not follow Amazons cred of being obsessed with the customer. What is the solution?

2 Likes

Mine is doing this all the time! The outdoor camera picks up the cat running across the terrace. Did you want pics/videos to help still?

I just got a Stick Up Cam plug-in (3rd Gen). It is the same: With “People Only Mode = On” it detects our cats.
Do you have any news regarding a fix?

Amazingly this issue still hasn’t been addressed after a year.
It appears to affect my outdoor stick-up cams and indoor cams.
It doesn’t seem to effect my Ring doorbell 3 plus though.

One of my indoor cams, which is in people only mode, gets set off by my parrot that is in his cage.

I read that putting the cameras in “Battery mode” helps fix this issue but this fix is unacceptable as it would clearly affect the performance of the camera.

Ring appear to be quite slow at fixing bugs that cause problems for so many of it’s customers.

3 Likes

It’s really ridiculous. It did work a while ago, but it’s total crap now. I cannot believe the Ring is a part of Amazon. Amazon was so customer oriented company, at least for me.

1 Like

No Ring product can tell the difference between a human and a cat, deer, or an empty bag blowing in the wind. I don’t believe the software does anything like this, it just detects motion.

Customer support is appalling. My door bell got stuck on firmware upgrade and before they would replace it they asked me to check the wiring in the junction box. Now you can get killed doing that if you aren’t an electrician. I was to speak to the manager and the agent said “no, bro, this is between you and me”.

Looking at Google Nest. Have cancelled my subscription.

1 Like

This is still an issue in March of 2022. My Video Doorbell Pro works fine. My Wired Floodlight Cam still sees my dogs as people. Ring, its time you sort this out.

The People Only mode is intended to reduce alerts to those that are triggered by humans only. Our team is constantly working to improve or add to our devices and features, so we recommend checking out your Motion Settings in the Ring app to fine tune this feature and other Motion Settings to tailor better for your experience. Adjusting these through trial and error can really help to optimize detection in your area.

Keep in mind, certain objects such as reflective surfaces might still trigger motion. If the People only setting is not working as expected for your environment, feel free to try motion without the setting enabled and other settings fine tuned. Check out our help center article about People Only Mode for more information on its operation. If you continue to run into road blocks with detecting the right motion for your environment, we recommend reaching out to our support team at one of the numbers available here.

1 Like