Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

How is this SOLVED? I have spent over £500 on security camers that don't allow me any security whatsoever unless I am prepared to be woken up every night by any moving object no matter how small. Cat's, Mice, Leaves, Even little spiders. Utter rubbish product which I shall be returning to where I purchased it from and buying somthing else. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

@Jennifer_Ring wrote:

Hi neighbors- the team needs examples! Please give our support team a call at 800-656-1918 or here, describe the situation you're having and share videos with the them. That way,  the team can take a further look into this and continue to improve the 'People Only' motion detection feature.

@Jennifer, the ring team customer support needs to be made aware of this issue and how customers should submit videos. I only found this after my own searching after several calls with support agents who knew nothing about this.

i would suggest ring implementation of a “flag” option within the app for users to flag videos directly to support as “this is not a person” or have multiple options to improve accuracy such as; “this people only motion event was a cat,” “this people only motion even was leaves/tree/Bush blowing”

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I am presuming that as our backyard camera is picking up spiders on their webs some 93 times/alerts a night, that the issue of people only motion detection has still not been resolved?
Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Any updates from the developers as to a functioning people only mode setting? Both of our floodlight cams still get triggered by many non-people movements. This includes birds, plants, cats, moving spider webs, moths, etc. For example, it's windy tonight, and the cameras are getting set off every few minutes. I have zones set to avoid some of the branch movement. But if the zones ignore that whole area, then half the yard is zoned out.

And the video doorbell 2 still regularly records and triggers on cars. Not all the time, but enough to be a little bit annoying. Also, not entirely sure if this is related, but it seems that with the people only setting, it is more likely to miss actual people more often. Several package drop offs have not been recorded.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

There are thousands of posts over the internet for this issue. Had I known that this would be such a huge problem I would have never ordered the product. The claims and application are completely fraudulent regarding this product being able to detect human sizes. They will give you excuses about whether, then when that changes, that excuse fails on its own merits as soon as the weather clears. It's dry here and a nice 70 degrees, yet s small car still alarms....
Who wants to join a class action lawsuit for fraudulent advertising and leading the public to believe they were getting one thing, when in fact, we were getting the same old crap the snake oil salesmen have been selling for eons?
Highlighted
Community Moderator

Hi @Justchad555! Our team is constantly working to improve or add to our devices and features. At this time, the People Only mode is intended to reduce alerts to those that are triggered by humans only. Of course, this feature paired with the other available motion settings in your Ring app, will help to fine tune the experience. Adjusting these through trial and error can really help to optimize detection in your area. 

Keep in mind, certain objects such as reflective surfaces might still trigger motion. If the People only setting is not working as expected for your environment, feel free to try motion without the setting enabled and other settings fine tuned. Check out our help center article about People Only Mode for more information on its operation. As we always value our neighbor feedback, we will certainly share this with our teams here for future consideration. Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Amazing the response you get in here. As fraudulent as the sale activity! Didn't even read that I spent days and hours on the phone with tech support and got nowhere, yet somehow the FAQ is going to solve this

BELIGERENCE!!!!
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Lol- my new floodlight cam thinks that chickens are people, I get alerted every 2 minutes! Definitely needs another fix.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Examples
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I’d join this lawsuit. The light is ridiculous at this point