Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

“We worked through all the issues and solutions (now you will never get rid of alerts for spider, cats etc.) because that’s what its designed to do pick up motion, however i agree they pick up far too much of them even though when on “People Only Mode”.”

The issue is when the lights come on. I never have a problem with this in the daytime. I think the lights, which are supposed to pick up all motion, are triggering the camera/record/notification. There is never a time when the lights aren’t on when I have false alarms…like a little spider that may have crawled out of vision of the light sensor but did trigger the camera for instance, giving a night vision recording of the spider. It’s usually some sort of weird string of beads looking thing attached to the web (egg sacs? I don’t know, I cant find anything out there to identify it) that swings in front of the floodlight. Then sometimes the spider is visible like in a subsequent video just a minute or two later, but the lights are always on with recordings at night.

I have to say, this is not happening as much for me, but still happening. I don’t feel like losing sleep over it so I keep do not disturb on my phone when sleeping. Fortunately I am in a low populated area with not much crime and hardly ever people walking our road…and my house is hundreds of feet off the road. I have driveway alarms that detect any vehicles coming down the driveway. The camera is a neat little toy though.

I’m seeing similar problems with my hardwired security cam / floodlight. If I disable People Only Mode it triggers on just about anything - cars, people, animals… even bugs. Turning the sensitivity down to the minimum makes zero difference, it still goes off every few hours at night. People Only Mode seems to work as advertised, but naturally it ignores cars which makes it somewhat useless in a driveway. So now I’m stuck with a hardwired camera that doesn’t really work particularly well mounted on the front of my house.

Any ideas on how to make this thing detect people AND cars without triggers every time a bug flies past would be appreciated.

Wish I could help you. These simply don’t work the way we would want or expect them to. It’s that simple.

My false alarms have been less but I have no idea if that’s because what triggers them is less or if the camera and software are working better.

To point a special point on it, I got a false alarm at around 4AM the other night…and in the video is both a cat AND a spider. I had to laugh…more out of insanity than humor because it was quintessential

Personal Opions based on my experience :flushed:

‘People mode’ and motion detection are 2 different things, and t the moment I doubt they work as they should together.

poeple mode from experience just reduces the amount of false alerts from things without a heat signature, the issue here is that it’s not able to 100% notice the difference between a cat and a human - you will find that it mostly false alerts during the night on these as all the sensors are working together.

the motion dectection is basically doing its job as in detecting any kind of motion - just a shame that at this stage the ‘people only mode’ isn’t fully ready yet. The only way to reduce the false motion alerts is to readjust the motion zones so they kind of avoid the particular area where the false alerts are picking it up from or slightly reposition the camera.

keep reporting to RING if you haven’t done so already and best to do this via email. Get them to check the feed into the camera and make sure they software is up to date! (i was originally told mine was a few times but then someone realised not all of them updated properly and did them remotely).

Yes I still get false alerts for spiders (nighttime), cats (nitghtime) and birds early hours of the morning usually between 6am - 7am - any other time the cameras never picks them up. But the amount has deffo reduced - no longer get alerts for bushes, trees, steam/smoke, shadows and car lights.

I am still yet to find a similar camera that does not have issues like this!

1 Like

On my video doorbell 2, people only mode works as intended… but on my wired spotlight cam I get alerts to my dog, neighborhood cats, birds, and even leaves moving.

Phone support reset the device and it worked fine for all of 5 minutes, but I’m guessing that may have just been due to an update after resetting.

I have been advised to share any video not containing people to help@ring.com explaining why I’m sending the video; “people only mode is turned on the spotlight cam wired but has detected bird…”

I am having the same problem. I have had to turn off motion detection which means the security camers are now just recording devices NOT security camers. For the price you would expect this function to work properly. Even a little spider can set off the motion detection. Utter Rubbish product!

1 Like

How is this SOLVED? I have spent over £500 on security camers that don’t allow me any security whatsoever unless I am prepared to be woken up every night by any moving object no matter how small. Cat’s, Mice, Leaves, Even little spiders. Utter rubbish product which I shall be returning to where I purchased it from and buying somthing else.

2 Likes

@Jennifer_Ring wrote:

Hi neighbors- the team needs examples! Please give our support team a call at 800-656-1918 or here, describe the situation you’re having and share videos with the them. That way, the team can take a further look into this and continue to improve the ‘People Only’ motion detection feature.

@Jennifer, the ring team customer support needs to be made aware of this issue and how customers should submit videos. I only found this after my own searching after several calls with support agents who knew nothing about this.

i would suggest ring implementation of a “flag” option within the app for users to flag videos directly to support as “this is not a person” or have multiple options to improve accuracy such as; “this people only motion event was a cat,” “this people only motion even was leaves/tree/Bush blowing”

3 Likes

I am presuming that as our backyard camera is picking up spiders on their webs some 93 times/alerts a night, that the issue of people only motion detection has still not been resolved?

Any updates from the developers as to a functioning people only mode setting? Both of our floodlight cams still get triggered by many non-people movements. This includes birds, plants, cats, moving spider webs, moths, etc. For example, it’s windy tonight, and the cameras are getting set off every few minutes. I have zones set to avoid some of the branch movement. But if the zones ignore that whole area, then half the yard is zoned out.

And the video doorbell 2 still regularly records and triggers on cars. Not all the time, but enough to be a little bit annoying. Also, not entirely sure if this is related, but it seems that with the people only setting, it is more likely to miss actual people more often. Several package drop offs have not been recorded.

There are thousands of posts over the internet for this issue. Had I known that this would be such a huge problem I would have never ordered the product. The claims and application are completely fraudulent regarding this product being able to detect human sizes. They will give you excuses about whether, then when that changes, that excuse fails on its own merits as soon as the weather clears. It’s dry here and a nice 70 degrees, yet s small car still alarms…
Who wants to join a class action lawsuit for fraudulent advertising and leading the public to believe they were getting one thing, when in fact, we were getting the same old crap the snake oil salesmen have been selling for eons?

2 Likes

Hi @Justchad555! Our team is constantly working to improve or add to our devices and features. At this time, the People Only mode is intended to reduce alerts to those that are triggered by humans only. Of course, this feature paired with the other available motion settings in your Ring app, will help to fine tune the experience. Adjusting these through trial and error can really help to optimize detection in your area.

Keep in mind, certain objects such as reflective surfaces might still trigger motion. If the People only setting is not working as expected for your environment, feel free to try motion without the setting enabled and other settings fine tuned. Check out our help center article about People Only Mode for more information on its operation. As we always value our neighbor feedback, we will certainly share this with our teams here for future consideration. :slight_smile:

Amazing the response you get in here. As fraudulent as the sale activity! Didn’t even read that I spent days and hours on the phone with tech support and got nowhere, yet somehow the FAQ is going to solve this

BELIGERENCE!!!

Lol- my new floodlight cam thinks that chickens are people, I get alerted every 2 minutes! Definitely needs another fix.

Examples

I’d join this lawsuit. The light is ridiculous at this point

1 Like

This is definetly NOT SOLVED -

I recently purchased FOUR Spotlight Cams, TWO Floodlight Cams, plus a Stick Up Camera -

With People Only set I’m awoken EVERY NIGHT by movement from cats and even spiders!

RING - you need to monitor this community more effectively and RESOLVE THESE ISSUES before marking them as SOLVED -

8 Likes

This is rubbish

I have the ‘People only setting’ on my floodlight cam and every morning at 03:30 - 03:45 a cat comes in the drive and sets off the alert.

This is driving me insane !

4 Likes

I’ve sent examples of even spiders setting off detection with People Only mode set. I also have examples of cats, birds, reflections, tree branches, in short anything and everything BUT People being detected in “People Only” mode.

Routinely awoken EVERY night with a series of false alarms from small animals -

There is NO SETTING to prevent this (even on the lowest sensitivity and especially NOT with the People Only mode).

I have 4 spotlight ring cameras (wired and battery) and two floodlight cameras and they ALL suffer from this incredible design flaw from Ring.

BUYER BEWARE - DO NOT PURCHASE THESE RING PRODUCTS (unless you don’t want to sleep at night) - STAY AWAY FROM THESE DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS!!!

4 Likes

Just bought 3 flood Security cams and one triggers multiple times during the night due to moths… even with lamp off so I guess they are attracted to the motion sensing mechanism?

I also have these set to People with narrow motion zones but motio alarm set off with a slow moving baby racoon.

1 Like