Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

@YouStayOut wrote:

So how do the rest of us get satisfaction? I would like Ring to come on to this chat chanel and speak to the rest of us who are being awaken when a stray varmit crosses our cameras. What are they going to do for us?

Personally i wanted what i was told over the phone about there being a firmware issue in writing and i got it through chat, they kindly sent me the full chat transcript that covers it.

So now that its officially coming for the “Advance Technical” team, RING needs to make an official annoucement for all those who are affected by this to be offered solutions so be it replacements. However i do doubt the replacements they send me will resolve the issues because this goes back to my opinion posted before about these devices actually being able to update OTA?? why cant they be rolled back to the firmware that worked by themselves, why cant they push a firmware update automactically? even when i went through trouble shooting before i reset the device and it didnt work!

To suggest re-setting up the device is troubling. Why not issue a firmware fix that can be done remotely. The reason for security devices is to protect while away. So the fix is to be home and set the device up again! That could be a while for some people. Their whole attitude is terrible. They clearly have an issue that happened with a firmware upgrade since my devices did not always do this. Just getting them to admit there is a issue is problematic. I agree with the post regarding Ring Support issuing an official response in the Community.

Don’t put up with Ring’s response. Demand that the call be escalated and demand that they replace the device. This is the only way my previous issues were fixed. I appears that since they’ve been bought, Ring’s products and support organizations are trying to compete with comcast for the worst customer support organization award!

They just replaced two of my devices in January, yet they still have the issue. No change whatsoever.

I’ve had devices replaced 4 times before getting a device that works… make sure they send you a new device instead of a refurbished device…

@DavidAugust wrote:

I’ve had devices replaced 4 times before getting a device that works… make sure they send you a new device instead of a refurbished device…

I did ask that question and they said they were sending me new devices! but how do you tell the difference? what do you look out for?

They told me the same thing and after it didn’t work, they let it slip that it wasn’t new… so they lie…figures…I’ve lost all trust in Ring Support… all you can do is keep asking for a new replacement…at some point management will realize that their costs are going thru the roof for device failures…

@DavidAugust wrote:

They told me the same thing and after it didn’t work, they let it slip that it wasn’t new… so they lie…figures…I’ve lost all trust in Ring Support… all you can do is keep asking for a new replacement…at some point management will realize that their costs are going thru the roof for device failures…

So i am guessing there is no way to know then if the one that eventually works was new or refurbished! the one that worked for you was there anything different about how it was packed etc. or are you assuming it must be a new one?

Personally i wont be going back and forth with replacements as i will just ask for a refund like i did with the solar panels and battery cams.

Packaging looked to be the same… The firmware update right away… The other device’s firmware wouldn’t update…

@DavidAugust wrote:
Packaging looked to be the same… The firmware update right away… The other device’s firmware wouldn’t update…

Ok so watch out for the set up process going ahead onto a firmware update! interesting i will be lookin out for that.

1 Like

If the firmware indicates a version number then it is NOT updated… It should read up-to-date…

Mine says up to date and I got the 1am cat alarm last night. If I would have known this was going to be such a bust I would not have gotten one of these. I would have put a doorbell up at my shop instead. I dont see much faith building in the Ring system, they want your ideas so how about a floodlight cam that works as advertised, that would be a novel idea.

@DavidAugust wrote:
If the firmware indicates a version number then it is NOT updated… It should read up-to-date…

Well didnt help my current cams with them always showing as being " up-to-date". I shall watch out for this when they arrive.

Had an alert at 4 am this morning could not wait to see what it maybe… stray cat again!

Every time I think I’m going to come back and reply that my floodlight cam seems to be behaving better on this topic, I check then realize the motion zones have been turned off since whenever that last time I disabled them so they don’t record our motion as we live life around the house!

It’s still useful to look out that direction of my house, which otherwise there’s only one window not often convenient to get to quickly. I do turn it on when I’m gone during the day, and it seems to only pick up people…generally in the daytime when I do that…or no critters happened by during that time. It’s night time that is the biggest issue when you want it the most. This floodlight camera is completely useless for nighttime security for human motion only, unless you want to lose a bunch of sleep on critters triggering it at any time of night.

Fortunately I live in a spread out neighborhood and it’s rare that anyone walks to my house and there is not much crime to worry about here. My driveway alarms detect vehicles only and they are about 90% trustworthy. This floodlight cam allows me to look out there when they go off, but I was hoping it would also be effective on the rare person walking down my driveway to knock on my door unannounced.

This forum doesn’t seem to solve many of these problems, but at least we can vent and learn we are not the only one’s experiencing these issues. It’s definitely a product problem, not a user problem.

I’m still trying to figure out how I’m going to replace the black plastic I had to put on a stainless steel workbench near this device. If I leave the table top exposed, the ring alarms and records video every time the lights come on…for no apparent reason…repeatedly…all night.

Have you tried deleting the zone, uninstalling the app on your phone, per cycle the phone, reinstalling the app and then recreating the zone? It sounds weird but it has helped in the past…

You can also just let the device record without notifications, that way if something does happen it’s on video… You can periodically go back and view the video (I do this for the camera I have above my garage door that captures activity in my drive but also captures activity in the alley too)

@DavidAugust wrote:
Have you tried deleting the zone, uninstalling the app on your phone, per cycle the phone, reinstalling the app and then recreating the zone? It sounds weird but it has helped in the past…

You can also just let the device record without notifications, that way if something does happen it’s on video… You can periodically go back and view the video (I do this for the camera I have above my garage door that captures activity in my drive but also captures activity in the alley too)

I have personally tried eveyrthing there is to try, resetting my phone, deleting app several times, resetting the cameras and even upgrading my network!

Well truning off notifications defeats the whole object to be honest, i want to know if someone is approaching before they get in the house especially if i am in their! during the daytime i can cope with and even when i am not home. Plus will mean i turn all the notification soff on the smart devices also. During the night my phones on silient so it is not the culprit in waking me up its the smart devices notifying me of the alerts.

Last night just when i fell asleep i was alerted to a motion… blasted stray cat! i catch more non humans than humans themselves during the night (last couple of weeks it failed to detect human motion in the early hours of the morning) only noticed when checking the snapshots the lights came on but not recording or detection. So frankly these devices are useless in thier current state.

Update - Replacement Cameras

I cant comment on the motion detection yet as its only been a few hours since i put them up! I got a bit worried as when i was going through the set up process i could see the firmware version and thought it would not update… 2 of the cams vocally said they were updating the software and then updated (so i think they did) they do say “Up to Date”. 1 of them didnt vocally tell me and having checked it does say “Up to Date”. I called Support and they said they were all up to date - but they could not tell me a version number.

The version number i did manage to see was - 1.16.00265

I will update on how the motion alerts go.

@Mannyshere14 wrote:

I cant comment on the motion detection yet as its only been a few hours since i put them up! I got a bit worried as when i was going through the set up process i could see the firmware version and thought it would not update… 2 of the cams vocally said they were updating the software and then updated (so i think they did) they do say “Up to Date”. 1 of them didnt vocally tell me and having checked it does say “Up to Date”. I called Support and they said they were all up to date - but they could not tell me a version number.

Well well well!!! guess what happened at 05.26am this morning… a stray cat alert!!! on 1 of the cameras (drive way) - this camera usually picked up all the strays, shadows and paper bags! the garage cam hasnt picked up anything unusual yet… the garden cam failed to detect 1 human motion but nothing unusual yet.

I am going to give it a few more days just in case it needs to settle in :laughing:

@Mannyshere14 wrote:

@Mannyshere14 wrote:

Well well well!!! guess what happened at 05.26am this morning… a stray cat alert!!! on 1 of the cameras (drive way) - this camera usually picked up all the strays, shadows and paper bags! the garage cam hasnt picked up anything unusual yet… the garden cam failed to detect 1 human motion but nothing unusual yet.

I am going to give it a few more days just in case it needs to settle in :laughing:

So i decided to speak to Chat and they wanted to access my videos again to go through some trouble shooting - i refused and said that it wont resolve the issue and that i am not going to have my time wasted to then be told it needs to be escalated again - he then went on a strop - i told him to read my previous notes and he will see all the trouble shooting has already happend and that the advanced technical team has already confirmed there is a firmware issue so him accessing my videos was not going to fix it! he proceeded to say that i am just out of my 30 days refund period - i advised him firstly i reported the issues well within the 30 day period, secondly that i am still protected by law as far as defective goods are concerned so his 30 day refund period does not apply - also that i still have a right to take out civil action against RING for damages to inculde distress caused and out of pocket costs and i can do all this online.

They could not remotley roll back the firmware and asked me to reset the devices again (i had already done this) - he then said he had “cleared my line” and try is again (not sure what line he cleared) - i refused to get up the ladders and reset again on 3 camereas - Obvisouly i refused another set of replacements as i am not here to dismantle and install cameras and then pack and post them all my life! His next step was to raise a request to the technical teams (solution - which i know they wont have one as the firmware is broke) and to logistics (for a refund).

TBC

@Mannyshere14 wrote:

@Mannyshere14 wrote:

@Mannyshere14 wrote:

So i decided to speak to Chat and they wanted to access my videos again to go through some trouble shooting - i refused and said that it wont resolve the issue and that i am not going to have my time wasted to then be told it needs to be escalated again - he then went on a strop - i told him to read my previous notes and he will see all the trouble shooting has already happend and that the advanced technical team has already confirmed there is a firmware issue so him accessing my videos was not going to fix it! he proceeded to say that i am just out of my 30 days refund period - i advised him firstly i reported the issues well within the 30 day period, secondly that i am still protected by law as far as defective goods are concerned so his 30 day refund period does not apply - also that i still have a right to take out civil action against RING for damages to inculde distress caused and out of pocket costs and i can do all this online.

They could not remotley roll back the firmware and asked me to reset the devices again (i had already done this) - he then said he had “cleared my line” and try is again (not sure what line he cleared) - i refused to get up the ladders and reset again on 3 camereas - Obvisouly i refused another set of replacements as i am not here to dismantle and install cameras and then pack and post them all my life! His next step was to raise a request to the technical teams (solution - which i know they wont have one as the firmware is broke) and to logistics (for a refund).

TBC

Still no news on this have not had any updated as yet but suppose too early.

In the meatime these cameras seem worse than the original ones i had, so many false alerts! i spent a day yesterday trying different settings but i ended up just turning off all the alerts for all my devices, no longer have the alexa devices going off every time.

For me these cameras are just like visual deterrent cameras now! i am looking at other options/brands, i already have a proper CCTV system but wanted something more smart! But just wonder if other brands have the same issues and not as perfect as they advertise to be.

Work in progress!

1 Like