Motion Sensitivity picking up pets when set for People Only

I have called them a number of times regarding this. The motion settings do not work. I have tried people settings and tried the lowest sensitivity. It does not work on any of my devices which include Stickup Cam, Ring Doorbell Pro and Floodlight Cam. There is no excuse for this type of systemic failure. I love the products but without this working properly I will be forced to replace with another company. 4 to 5 false motion alarms on EACH camera daily due to stray cats.

Have you confirmed that your device is updating its Firmware (software)?

Go to settings/device health/firmware; if it says anything other than UP TO DATE then you are on an old version of Firmware. What this means is that you may not be getting security or motion software updates .

Ring ultimately sent me a total of 4 replacement devices (and wasted alot of my time) until I finally received a device that worked / successfully updated its software/firmware. The final device was a NEW device instead of the refurbished devices they typically send out (they obviously have Quality Control problems with their refurbished process).

1 Like

All devices up to date. Also, doorbell pro, stickup cam wired and floodlight cam are all newer models that recently were replaced.

Maybe they should send us all new replacements (doubt it will resolve this)!

My recent false alerts have been the usual stray cat at 5am! and i even had a small paper bag that was blown by the wind across my drive and it set off an alert!

The best bit was the garden camera actually caught an attempted break in… a rat who was scoping the joint through the patio door, but clearly failed to get in! but i have all the footage :smiley: and will hand over to the authorities :laughing:

Not had a good night sleep for a few days… blasted cameras keep going off! more stray cats and ghosts!

I ended up going on to chat and speaking to support… 2 hours later after being passed on to the “higher tech team” who had no idea what was going on, ended up saying that they need to pass it to the “advanced team” and i would get some feedback via email.

I reminded the “higher tech” person that i know what the issue is and RING had already told me and i wanted a timescale on fix or an official response from RING on the issue.

I asked him to put on record that i am giving them 14days to respond on a timescale or offical response on the issue, or i will be claiming a refund, compensation or civil action.

I have thought about turning the notifications off during the night (i have during the day as was getting high ammount of false alerts), but then this just defeats the whole object of them and i just might as well rip them off the walls!!

1 Like

Thank you for posting. I am tired of the no response for this issue. The cameras are totally ineffective with constant false notifications. I will call again today and express the seriousness of this issue.

:smiley:

Theres no way i am going to allow them to brush this under the carpet! until they provide a workable solution or official response explaining whats wrong.

If they need to to replace all the cameras to get this right then they should do this with no charge to the consumer because lets face it thats what we are now to them consumers not NEIGHBOURS!

I just got done sending screen shots, videos and mac addresses to support. I totally felt like they were blowing me off. I also told them to check their own community. This is not an isolated issue. It is consistant and repeatable. I have been a big fan of their Doorbells etc, but this is a show stopper for me. If there isn’t a timely response I will just replace all the cameras with another vendor. Enough is enough.

@B-H wrote:

I just got done sending screen shots, videos and mac addresses to support. I totally felt like they were blowing me off. I also told them to check their own community. This is not an isolated issue. It is consistant and repeatable. I have been a big fan of their Doorbells etc, but this is a show stopper for me. If there isn’t a timely response I will just replace all the cameras with another vendor. Enough is enough.

Thats how i felt like they were blowing me off, they intially tried to go through the standard trouble shooting process with me and i soon told them straight that they are not wasting my time with going through this as i have done all this several times and there is nothing new they can tell me to do and it was not going to make any difference in resolving this, but they kept me on hold for ages to get me in touch with the “higher tech” whoever they are! they remotely accessed my video footage and i sent them snapshots etc. which they already they had from my last interaction with them.

Just makes me think they follow a script and just think we are stupid and they try to look like they are helping us with the issue and they end up having to pass it higher like if that makes you feel reassured!

Just a shame with all the effort and time spent putting these devices up, drilling through walls and feeding the wires through (wired cams) for them to just be useless! i will be more than happy though to return them for a full refund if that becomes an option but to just rip them all off and start again with another vendor will be painful as its not even been 2 months since i brought them.

I just purchased two of these floodlights and have the same problem with animals setting off the sensor when set to people only. Looks like this has been an issue for months and may never get resolved. What a disappointment.

@Cypro wrote:

I just purchased two of these floodlights and have the same problem with animals setting off the sensor when set to people only. Looks like this has been an issue for months and may never get resolved. What a disappointment.

I feel for you, if you still have time return them for a full refund and hopefully RING will eventually step up a gear and sort this mess out :dizzy_face:

UPDATE!

Here is the update from RING chat advisor on the ticket i raised with RING which was esclated!

“So here’s what our advanced technical found out, the most recent version of the firmware has caused issues with the motion sensitivity, they have rolled it back to the previous firmware. If you can just reset it and set it back up one more time, it will update. After the reset you may need to monitor the device and If that does not work then we can replace”

I explained that the reset process has happened so many time and they are going to ship out replacmenets for all the camereas i have, and said this will resolve the issues… i am not holding my breath.

So how do the rest of us get satisfaction? I would like Ring to come on to this chat chanel and speak to the rest of us who are being awaken when a stray varmit crosses our cameras. What are they going to do for us?

@YouStayOut wrote:

So how do the rest of us get satisfaction? I would like Ring to come on to this chat chanel and speak to the rest of us who are being awaken when a stray varmit crosses our cameras. What are they going to do for us?

Personally i wanted what i was told over the phone about there being a firmware issue in writing and i got it through chat, they kindly sent me the full chat transcript that covers it.

So now that its officially coming for the “Advance Technical” team, RING needs to make an official annoucement for all those who are affected by this to be offered solutions so be it replacements. However i do doubt the replacements they send me will resolve the issues because this goes back to my opinion posted before about these devices actually being able to update OTA?? why cant they be rolled back to the firmware that worked by themselves, why cant they push a firmware update automactically? even when i went through trouble shooting before i reset the device and it didnt work!

To suggest re-setting up the device is troubling. Why not issue a firmware fix that can be done remotely. The reason for security devices is to protect while away. So the fix is to be home and set the device up again! That could be a while for some people. Their whole attitude is terrible. They clearly have an issue that happened with a firmware upgrade since my devices did not always do this. Just getting them to admit there is a issue is problematic. I agree with the post regarding Ring Support issuing an official response in the Community.

Don’t put up with Ring’s response. Demand that the call be escalated and demand that they replace the device. This is the only way my previous issues were fixed. I appears that since they’ve been bought, Ring’s products and support organizations are trying to compete with comcast for the worst customer support organization award!

They just replaced two of my devices in January, yet they still have the issue. No change whatsoever.

I’ve had devices replaced 4 times before getting a device that works… make sure they send you a new device instead of a refurbished device…

@DavidAugust wrote:

I’ve had devices replaced 4 times before getting a device that works… make sure they send you a new device instead of a refurbished device…

I did ask that question and they said they were sending me new devices! but how do you tell the difference? what do you look out for?

They told me the same thing and after it didn’t work, they let it slip that it wasn’t new… so they lie…figures…I’ve lost all trust in Ring Support… all you can do is keep asking for a new replacement…at some point management will realize that their costs are going thru the roof for device failures…