Modes Update Concern

Is it just me or is this update STILL not available?

It definitely isn’t just you. I’ve seen a few different Ring employees say it would be “slow rolled out” to all customers this month. But even with the 5.2.1 release on 12/31/19 there’s still no sign of it. Just the latest example of Ring making promises to its customer base that it does not keep.

I woke up this morning and the Modes feature was finally available for me. And I’m pleased to report that it does NOT simply disable notifications as I had feared. You are able to configure it so that Record Motion and/or Live View are enabled or disabled automatically when you select a certain mode (Disarmed, Home, Away). Ring implemented this feature exactly like I hoped they would. Now if they would just let me switch modes with Siri … :slight_smile:

Good to see, but still not on my device. They should have a “get updates” feature so we can just go and download it and update our apps

Would u be willing to take a photo of what this feature looked like on your app? I have the alarm system so I have arm disarm and home, but no modes setting.

Whoops I meant away.

My original concern was raised because selecting that option on my cellphone app didn’t appear to make such a change system wide. When I set that preference, I continued to get motion alerts for my indoor camera on my iPad. My wife’s phone was also getting alerts, which clearly told me they had simply disabled notifications on my phone due to enabling the modes feature on my phone.

I then updated my wife’s phone with the exact same modes settings, brining both of our cellphones in line with each other, but leaving the iPad settings unchanged. I noticed the blue light stayed illuminated on the indoor camera, and the iPad continued to get motion notifications.

A week or so after originally posting this, I gave up and moved the indoor camera to the garage to limit the privacy impact to my family. At some point in the last couple weeks, I stopped getting notifications on my iPad randomly, and yesterday noticed the blue led light was no longer illuminated on the camera in the garage if my alarm was set as disabled.

I haven’t had the time to do any additional testing, but it appears Ring has made some quiet updates in the past couple weeks that may in fact allow MODES to function like we all assumed it would from the beginning.

2 Likes

Not a problem …

1 Like

Thanks for the images but they won’t open for me :frowning:

Oh I figured it out!

1 Like

That’s odd. They are just standard iPhone screenshots in .PNG format. When I click the link I’m presented with an option to View or Download. Clicking View displays the image for me without incident.

Still missing here in Michigan. Waiting and waiting and waiting!

@OAW what ring app revision do you have?

I’m currently on version 5.22.3. But I received the Modes update a couple of releases ago. That being said the feature is activated on the Ring servers. It’s not tied to the app version.

Thanks OAW! I pulled 5.22.3 from the App Store last night but still don’t have the new Modes settings. (Washington state). Guess I just have to continue waiting…

Hey neighbors! We appreciate your continued involvement and anticipation for our slow rollout of our new Modes feature. We’re excited to bring this new element to all of our neighbors by the end of 2020 and value your patience while you wait for the update. Please make sure to always keep your Ring app up to date, continue to keep us in the know when you receive this feature, and we look forward to hearing your feedback!

End of 2020!?!?

You’re going to have some very upset neighbors… and plenty of lost customers if you take that long to roll out this semi-functional feature.

1 Like

Why so long? Why not provide update to those of us who want it?

1 Like

Re: Modes Update Concern