Missing bracket that connects solar panel to spotlight cam

I reached out to Ring Support a couple weeks ago because I was missing the bracket that is supposed to secure the cable to the back of the spotlight cam. When I contacted support, they claimed they understood what I meant, but they ulitimately just sent me the bracket that secures the spotlight cam to a surface. I read on reddit that the design has changed and that they no longer provide that bracket to secure the cable to the spotlight cam. However, my documentation shows that it should be there in my box. I’m afraid without that bracket, I will not be using the solar panel because it came disconnected after a few days outside.

Sorry to hear about this @Dogbull28! For the Spotlight Cam battery, your Solar Panel should connect via barrel connection. Check out the Solar Panel tech specs section, and expand the “general” section to see what the box will include.

Check out also our help center article about installing this on your Cam. If you are referencing the component from step 6 in that article, this should already be on your Spotlight Cam. If it is not, our support team can certainly assist with this further. Feel free to reference this post with them if this helped! :slight_smile:

I understand how to plug it in… The point of my post is that Ring no longer provides anything to secure the plug to the camera, so now the plug simply pops out after a few days and is no longer connected.

I just installed my camera as well and noticed the same issue. Did you ever get this resolved?

So I installed my Ring Spotlight Cam Solar today. I noticed in the instructions, that my solar panel cable should have a way to secure it, with 2 screws, on the back of my camera, but my solar panel cable doesnt have that bracket on it to install those screws. I saw that another person had this same issue, but was wondering if others had this issue as well? I have called the support line and I believe they are sending me the incorrect replacement part. Anyone else dealt with this?

Unfortunately no. I’ve contacted customer service and they don’t seem to understand what I’m talking about. I’ve had them send me replacement parts only to find that they sent the wrong parts because they don’t know what I’m talking about. The last time I called they simply said that they don’t make that anymore - even though my solar spotlight cam came with instructions on how to install that bracket.

Unfortunately with the poor customer service I’ve received and the fact that I have to change the battery out on this camera that’s not easily accessible, I’m moving away from Ring products and switching to PoE security cameras.

I just read through my instructions after installation. Noticed that it calls for a bracket too, but I don’t see it.

Actually one set of instructions doesn’t show it and another talks about the screws and the clamp so I’m a little confused.

EDIT: Actually I got two solar panels. Accidently orderd one from Amazon and Best Buy. Checked the unused panel, and it definitely didn’t ship with the retainer bracket.

So did your unused one come with that bracket? Also, did you order the Ring brand solar panel off Amazon? I saw they were selling an offbrand one as well on their site.

Same here. I just ordered two and both show the bracket but did not come with one

Sorry to hear about this experience neighbors! Can you please confirm that it is not the part show in step 6 of this help center article? If it is not the part shown in step 6, please provide an image example if possible. I’ll be happy to help get to the bottom of this! :slight_smile:

I think everyone is talking about this. I bought 3 panels, and all of them are missing the clamp and 2 screws that are referenced in the installation video around 2 mins 27 seconds into the installation video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WItkTtIgTi8

@ask17 - you are correct. That’s what everyone is talking about. Without that, the solar panel plug doesn’t remain plugged in.

This on top of other issues with Ring products, I returned all of my Ring gear and have moved to Ubiquiti using their Protect platform. Seamless setup, always recording (unlike Ring which requires motion and will only record for a short period), tons of settings to modify to improve your camera recording experience, and best of all, no yearly costs for another company to store my recordings. All video is stored on my Cloud Key in my house where no one else can access it.

I recommend anyone having issues with Ring check Ubiquiti out.

Has support resolved this for anyone

Nope. They have been dead silent and unresponsive. I have sold all my ring equipment.

Newer versions of the solar panel don’t come with this bracket. Ring have yet to update their install videos/instructions.

Hi neighbors! Per our “How to Install” help center article, neighbors who order a newer Solar Panel may receive a device that includes a “Weather Resistant Barrel Connector.” This connector does not match our older instructions or documentation.

The current Solar Panel page on Ring.com will also reflect a 13-ft. (3.96-m.) cable with weatherproof barrel connector for connection with your Cameras. If you are still needing to reach our support team, Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Good to find the answer here, but I just spent an hour going through the solar panel box and then the house to find this ‘missing’ piece. Then I called Ring support to tell them it was missing. They had no idea what I was talking about and could only process my query if I gave them a MAC address. The solar panel does not have one. Then I search this community and find the answer on page 2 - this part is no longer provided because it is not necessary. Why is this not solved by a sticker on the box? I understand you cannot update the inventory at third parties, but I ordered directly from Ring. Better yet, put this on the part of your site that advertises the solar panel. Would probably save you a lot of calls to your help center and wrong replacement parts being shipped out just to try and close the ticket.

Unfortunately in my case the connection did not stay securely fastened without the bracket. I switched over to Ubiquiti and their UniFi protect platform and have been extremely happy with the results. I would suggest others look into that as well.

I am having the same problem …