Low Battery Notice on a Wired Stick Up Cam?

Same issue with both of my new plug-in cams. I bought a battery for one and it solved the problem, but it’s a plug-in and shouldn’t require an additional purchase.

I have motion zones, but they are pre-set. The plug-in should have adjustable zones.

I have the same issue. Plugged in. Will work on dashboard but not if you go into actual device + no motion zones. Come on ring. Sort this out.

I’m experiencing the same issue, my wired stick up cams have worked fine the past 6 months I’ve had them until a few days ago. None of the suggested fixes work. The only solution to experience a fully functioning camera is to use a battery. RING…Please provide a software fix. We chose the wired cam over battery powered for a reason and it wasn’t so we could buy batteries to have a working cam.

Just curious, is the camera in the back hooked to a WiFi extender? I ran mine they the extender, an the screen is dark. But the doorbell video will work through the extender!

It is a major problem. Ring will not acknoledge it. Complete failure. I am waiting for someone to be able to take down so I can return as this is not as advertised.

1 Like

I have passed my information directly to Ring but for the benefit of others on this thread my experience / temporary fix is a little different. Since I bought the Wired Stick Up Cam four weeks ago it has always shown a critical low battery warning. I was able to get a good initial connection with RSSI -30 using a powerline extender on my home network. However the device failed to maintain this connection and would not work reliably in spite of a number of resets. It would however work if I brought it into the house and connected it near the router.

Although it defied logic I took a Chime Pro extender (used to support a stronger signal for my doorbell) and put it in the Stick Up cam location next to my powerline extender. I then connected the Stick Up Cam to the Chime Pro extender and it works with full functionality but still shows criticla low battery level. The reason this defies my logic is that the Chime Pro can only be getting its wifi connection from my powerline extender so why would the camera work with one but not the other?

Unfortunately my doorbell now has RSSI -65 and must be on the limit of reliable functionality so I have decided to return the Stick Up Cam for credit while I review my options. My only hope for all the unhappy customers here is that ‘Sod’s Law’ will result in a solution from RING the day after my camera is collected for return

Wow, we are up to 32 pages with no definitive solution.

Just an update from me, after making a complaint to BBB, Ring sent me a new camera. While the camera now works, I can not put any of the functions on such as motion detection or I will get the warning. So the camera works with no features. Awesome…

Well, … I see that Ring just pushed out a new firmware update for the main app, ver. “3.27.0.”

So far though I only see the depleted battery icon in the dashboard for the SU cam plugin is now correctly gone. But the same other problems persist.

No adjustable motion zones, no colorized night vision option, still reading "critically low battery under “Devices.” And the sound is still poor. …

Oh well. …

1 Like

That wasn’t a firmware update, just an app update. Firmware would be pushed down into the camera itself so we’re still waiting on that. The app update does get rid of the “empty battery” icon over the image thumbnail on the Dashboard but that seems to be it. At least it proves there is at least one developer at Ring and they know how to release an app update.

Now we’ll have to hope they also know how to author a firmware update and push it down into the cameras…

1 Like

Pushing out a firmware update will be a neat trick especially when the two cameras with which I’m having issues are CONTINUALLY going offline in spite of verifiably strong wifi, excellent RSSI’s - and the fact that both of them are connected via my Chime Pro - which also indicates having strong connection to my wifi and RSSI’s in the 30’s.

Question: is updating the Ring app on an iPhone just a matter of deleting and re-installing the app?

I’m on Android so I just go to Google Play and select “Check for Updates” (since I didn’t want to wait for auto-update during the overnight). I would assume the AppStore has a similar “Check for Updates” capability.

I believe the camera will check for firmware updates periodically but I can’t speak to whether that would work (since much of the camera’s functionality is hosed by buggy firmware).

My AC powered stickup camera shows that the battery has been depleted but it was running without one since the beginning as it was AC powered, my shared account on another cell phone has problems to watch the video because of this.

Yeah …

I really think that, at this point at least, if the camera requires a firmware update to fix this issue. It’ll have to be via a forced download by removing the camera as a device and then rerunning the camera setup anew.

So Ring would have to put out a notice on the forum here and perhaps by email to all affected SU users to remove the devices and rerun the setups to receive the new FW.

Agreed but I’m not gonna go to all that trouble of digging out the ladder until it is a KNOWN FACT that updated firmware is available as I want it to be a one-and-done operation. I’ve wasted enough of my time dealing with this garbage hardware and software but have too much $$$ invested in Ring product at this point (Alarm, Lights, Doorbell and Cameras) to abandon it all (unless there was a class action lawsuit through which I could recoup my investment).

1 Like

Yes me too just noticed today on my wired cam says low battery how odd I await further thoughts

Yep. …

Just a modest Ring Video Doorbell 2, one gen. 3 SU Cam plugin, and a 1 gen. Ring Chime installed here. But still don’t want to just trash everything and go with another product.

But I sure wish for once everything just worked right with all my Ring stuff, as it seems their is always several issues like this going on with it.

Just like in addition to this big one here, another very annoying problem I have is that all doorbell and motion detection audio and visual notifications inexplicably stop coming through on my Smartphones after only a few hours.

If there’s an app update or I reboot the phones the notifications temporarily return. But again will stop after about 2-3 hours.

Very frustrating and irritating …

I have the same problem with my Stick up cam PLUG IN!!! The camera is PLUGGED IN!!! and it still says Critical battery. Motion does not work, live view only does when it wants too.

I called Ring Support and they are USELESS!!!

I have SEVERAL ring products and this one is a PIECE OF CRAP!!

Support said they are sending my query to the advanced team, but this is a common problem it seems and they don’t have a fix other than to spend $30 on a stupid battery to put in it when i bought the PLUG IN version!!!

GRRRRR I am so mad I can spit fire!!

I am about to dump all ring products and switch to one that works correctly

Hi
One of my battery stick up cams seems to have a problem with battery power levels. Live view is disabled because it believes the level is critically low even with a fully charged battery. I’ve tried removing the device and reinstalling it but it still shows the same problem. Is there a way to factory reset this so I’m setting it up from new?
TIA

New version of Ring Android App out today in the UK appears to have resolved the issue.

I have updated the App today on IOS device, I’m in the UK. Still same issues, still says critically low battery, still zero functionality

1 Like