Low Battery Notice on a Wired Stick Up Cam?

I don’t know, but it’s time to get the word out: I just submitted the following review on AMAZON where I bought a LOT of my Ring equipment including my stick-up cam (I bought the rest directly through Ring):

I’m hoping that Ring will eventually fix this issue - in which case I’ll update my ratings and review - but it currently appears that ALL wired stick-up cams have a DEFECT that makes a “critically low battery” warnings come up on the app even though this wired device doesn’t require a battery. When this occurs, most or all other functionality quits. As having a reliable security system is essential, I bit the bullet and bought a $30 battery for my WIRED device, charged and installed it in my WIRED device and this extra investment has temporarily remedied the issue. As of this date (5-22-2020) Ring HAS NOT remedied this issue and there are 100’s of complaints out there. Save yourself the frustration and look at other systems!

I am also getting this error.

Sounds like a scam to make you buy a battery you do not need.

Why mark it solved when its not?

1 Like

Got the same problem. Stick up wired cam doesn’t work with error message “battery critically low”. Funny thing is that the solution is to plug in a battery? It doesn’t come with a battery. Are you asking me to buy one for a wired cam? That is funny.

I received mine yesterday, and had the same issues as everyone else is describing. Today, I went ahead and did the install. WOW< i thought I was going to die. I went into the attic and passed the electrical cord and out to the eaves. I was able to connect my hard wired with current. In my attic, there were several electricty outlets in different area. MY house is 4500 square feet and a single floor. So i was able to get two cameras mounted under the eaves. Then, once it was under the eaves, i went to my cell phone, with me on the ladder, i then erased both cameras. The, i replugged one in, i then did the all new “add new device”. Completed one, then I went to other side of house, and did the same thing all over again. And now they both work flawless. JUst FYI, if you program this unit in your house, then unplug it, and try to install it, once you unplugged it, it will not work, or, it may not work. SO you will have to redo the install by erasing it and adding it in again. Well, at least for me, this is what worked. Now I can see 3 cameras, my doorbell, and two surveillance camers! it is awesome

I am having the same problem with a wired indoor stick up cam showing a critically low battery and unable to use live view. In the above post, it says to check the power source check box, but I can’t find where that is. Somebody help!

I am having the same issue with my wired stick up cam. Live view is greyed out. When will ring fix this?

Power source is shown at the top of the device health page, so settings icon/device health

The low battery message has displayed since the update to allow snapshots to be taken on this camera.

It has been like this for a couple of weeks, but now will not allow live view, motion or notifications

As a wired cam at the moment it’s NO USE

I complained to Ring last week and they sent me out a new unit. Great customer service! Only trouble is… it has exactly the same issue!!! Set the new one up, easy, then it updated its software, all good so far… then straight away “critically low battery” warning. The camera now has zero functionality. I’m convinced it’s something to do with the latest software update. Many people have said (including myself) that the unit was working fine for weeks/months and now it’s stopped working.

I just got off the phone with ring… was told that engineering is aware of the issue with the plug in stick up cams and they are currently working on a solution and will be pushing out a firmware update… No timetable as of yet. All new software/hardware has glitches from time to time so ill give em a week or so I am sure they will get this fixed ASAP I would think.

We are having the same issue. It worked fine for about 3 weeks. Our internet went out and we had to press the reset button on the camera. Now we have this issue. We called Ring and they said they would have to escalate to tech support and get back to us within 48 hours.

This is not a fix. Low battery warning on a plug in camera for so many??? Fix this.

NOT a solution. How does it happen that so many plug in cameras have a low battery warning??? They don’t come with a battery. Clearly a software problem or a hardware failure.

Extremely disappointed in this camera. Critically low battery symbol is displayed after having the hard wired camera installed by an electrican. The three spot light cameras also installed at my home yesterday are working great.

One of the solutions I read was to reinstall the battery, which I do not have. I have been trying to get support, but it is the weekend.

Is it possible to exchange this one for one that works properly? I have a new flood light camera I want to install, but I am hesitant.

Please advise…

I too just purhcased a Ring Stick Up Cam PAPERWEIGHT -

NO FUNCTIONALITY (no live view, record, etc. and it looks like setting options have been limited like it’s in battery mode) due to this problem (plugged in with and without battery inserted - no resolution).

No reports of any issues with the Spotlight Cams, only the Stickup Cams. In particular the 3rd generation plugin models. So you’re safe installing the Spotlight Cam in the SU Cam’s stead.

And AFAIK, the current low battery problem is only (or at least primarily) with the 3rd gen. models of the SU Cam. So swapping it out for an earlier generation model (bought off ebay or something) is another possibly safe option.

I ran into this issue within the last day or so. Live view did not work and I got the battery is critically low message. I did a bunch of things to try to resolve this issue including reseting the camera and going through the setup again. That did not work and the issue persisted. I went through the settings in the phone app to see if there was a setting in there that I could tweak. I enabled the “modes” feature that lets you change all of the camera settings with one button (disabled/home/away). I also force quit the phone app (I have android phone). I don’t know if it was the force quit or enabling the mode feature or something else that I changed, but Live View is working for me again. I still see the battery is critically low icon and when I click it I still get the message “device is offline” because battery is out, but Live View is working now.

I had the plug-in stick-up cam for about 4 months with no issues prior to this.

Same problem with mine and the posted solutions do not solve the problem. I can see the camera on the dashboard view but it won’t work on live view because of “critically low battery “ even though it’s plugged in and there is no battery

I have the same issue too! No proper solution yet?? ??

My wired stick up camera did not come with a battery, so I can’t try your solution. I get the critically low battery notice all the time. What can I do?