Hey all, just spent a good bit of time on the phone with support, troubleshooting this issue. Support was very friendly and helpful, they escalated it quickly, I was able to direct them to this blog and there is nothing internally written up for developers or support to go from, so while Chelsea was being helpful in suggesting to contact support, there is not a resolution. Although it seems here there are several people having this issue, Ring is not working on a fix. This is not a known bug or device issue that is currently working to be resolved. Net, Net, if the static bothers you, take it back and get a Stick Up cam. I have many cameras and Stick Up seems to be the most effective camera, I have purchased and returned 4 other spotlight cameras this floodlight being the last spotlight camera I have and all will have been returned for this same issue. And one last note. There is not network issue with my wifi, my previous system worked fine on wifi, I even have 1 camera in my barn 30 yards away that connects to wifi without an issue, so the sated cause is not it (could be in your case, I encourage you to look at device health/Signal Strength.) Just FYI and hope this is helpful to provide clarity for anyone else experiencing this issue.
Customer service is kind and swift, but ineffective. The product is substandard. I feel your pain, I installed 4 Stickup cams, doorbell pro, alarm system with two motion detectors and a floodlight cam. The static is frustrating, but you will also learn that it doesn't pick up and record a lot of events. I have not been able to figure out the reason for not activating, but it is not a great product. I must stick with it, but if you are within the window of which you can get your money back and choose another system, I suggest you do.
After the original purchase and having 2 replacements sent, it is finally fixed - so far!!
Here's what the awesome Ring Rep Jeremiah had me do.
1. Performed a new flood light cam set up using my mobile hot spot (which is using my AT&T moble data) instead of my home wifi.
2. The static noise STOPPED when connected to my mobile hot spot when viewing live or recorded motion video!!
3. Performed a new set up back to my home wifi. The issue stopped!!
A few notes:
1. We did not change anything on my home wifi set up. All we did was take it off my home wifi network, connect to a new network (my mobile hot spot), and then back to my home wifi.
2. My home network wifi speed was always excellent and the RSSI was always between 35-39. These steps did not magically improve my RSSI.
3. I have to assume there was some sort of firmware or software update that was forced when going through the above steps. Why else would taking the camera off my home wifi network, temporarily moving to a mobile hot spot and then back to my same home wifi fix this?? I'd like to know the answer to that one.... Maybe a network expert can explain this and why this fixed it.
Glad I did not give up! It took 3 1/2 months and many hours on the phone retelling my issue and going through the same mindless and identical troubleshooting steps to get this resolved.
None of the previous "second level" support people had me do what Jeremiah did today. I am mad that I wasted so much time on this and that the solution the previous reps was to just send a new unit.
Hope this helps somebody out there!