cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Questions about Amazon Alexa devices and your Ring? Post them in our new Amazon Alexa board!

Loud static through floodlight cam

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Loud static through floodlight cam

I went to speak through my cam from the phone app and when I returned home hours later, there was loud static coming through the speaker of the ring cam. Why would this happen?

And now I can't add a file attachment below because the button doesn't work. Get it together, Ring.
14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Loud static through floodlight cam

Hey @Pjens4962! A static sound can be caused by network interference. The best thing to check first, is that your device RSSI, or signal strength, is sufficient for audio/video streaming. Check out our Community post on how to share a video, if further assistance is needed. 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

There's no signal issues. I have an awesome network here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I am having the exact same issue, was this ever resolved?
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Nope...  Apparently Ring support doesn't read posts here.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi neighbors! Audio feedback or poor audio quality is commonly related to wifi signal interference. Check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing signal to your Ring devices.

If your wifi speeds and signal strength look sufficient, the best next step will be to check your mobile device/ Ring app connection. Please ensure bluetooth and VPN are disabled, and try a live view on wifi only, then again on data only, to see if one connection is more efficient. Feel free to let us know how this goes! Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I've also been having this issue. I don't know for sure how long it's been, but I just tried it with my spouse and she couldn't make out a thing I was saying.

WiFi signal is excellent and there is no interference. Cellular signal is strong, no VPN.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey @Gharkis. Could you share a video example of this? Would love to have this to reference! In addition, please let me know if this static is present on videos where you've tried to talk to someone on the other side through another phone's app, just to ensure this is not a phone specific concern. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I am having this same phenomenom , but with my indoor cam in my son's room.   He's 7 and has a tendancy to wander at night so I want to know when he's moving around.  Generally works fine, but randomly during the day he'll come find me and say the camera is making 'that noise'. When review recordings I can't hear it over the sound of the TV, but I would describe it as a loud static or hissing noise. I go and unplug the camera or push the button on top of the camera, and it stops. I've only had the camera for 2 days and it's happened probably 5 times.  If i can't stop it from doing that, I'm going to send it back.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey @twizz, have you reached out to our support team on this concern? Since this has happened a couple times for you, I recommend reaching out to them to have them take a deeper look into this for you. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We're taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Let us know how this goes! Smiley Happy