Loud static through floodlight cam

I went to speak through my cam from the phone app and when I returned home hours later, there was loud static coming through the speaker of the ring cam. Why would this happen?

And now I can’t add a file attachment below because the button doesn’t work. Get it together, Ring.

Hey @Pjens4962! A static sound can be caused by network interference. The best thing to check first, is that your device RSSI, or signal strength, is sufficient for audio/video streaming. Check out our Community post on how to share a video, if further assistance is needed.

1 Like

There’s no signal issues. I have an awesome network here.

I am having the exact same issue, was this ever resolved?

4 Likes

Nope… Apparently Ring support doesn’t read posts here.

1 Like

Hi neighbors! Audio feedback or poor audio quality is commonly related to wifi signal interference. Check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing signal to your Ring devices.

If your wifi speeds and signal strength look sufficient, the best next step will be to check your mobile device/ Ring app connection. Please ensure bluetooth and VPN are disabled, and try a live view on wifi only, then again on data only, to see if one connection is more efficient. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

I’ve also been having this issue. I don’t know for sure how long it’s been, but I just tried it with my spouse and she couldn’t make out a thing I was saying.

WiFi signal is excellent and there is no interference. Cellular signal is strong, no VPN.

Hey @Gharkis. Could you share a video example of this? Would love to have this to reference! In addition, please let me know if this static is present on videos where you’ve tried to talk to someone on the other side through another phone’s app, just to ensure this is not a phone specific concern. :slight_smile:

I am having this same phenomenom , but with my indoor cam in my son’s room. He’s 7 and has a tendancy to wander at night so I want to know when he’s moving around. Generally works fine, but randomly during the day he’ll come find me and say the camera is making ‘that noise’. When review recordings I can’t hear it over the sound of the TV, but I would describe it as a loud static or hissing noise. I go and unplug the camera or push the button on top of the camera, and it stops. I’ve only had the camera for 2 days and it’s happened probably 5 times. If i can’t stop it from doing that, I’m going to send it back.

Hey @twizz, have you reached out to our support team on this concern? Since this has happened a couple times for you, I recommend reaching out to them to have them take a deeper look into this for you. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. Let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Hey all, just spent a good bit of time on the phone with support, troubleshooting this issue. Support was very friendly and helpful, they escalated it quickly, I was able to direct them to this blog and there is nothing internally written up for developers or support to go from, so while Chelsea was being helpful in suggesting to contact support, there is not a resolution. Although it seems here there are several people having this issue, Ring is not working on a fix. This is not a known bug or device issue that is currently working to be resolved. Net, Net, if the static bothers you, take it back and get a Stick Up cam. I have many cameras and Stick Up seems to be the most effective camera, I have purchased and returned 4 other spotlight cameras this floodlight being the last spotlight camera I have and all will have been returned for this same issue. And one last note. There is not network issue with my wifi, my previous system worked fine on wifi, I even have 1 camera in my barn 30 yards away that connects to wifi without an issue, so the sated cause is not it (could be in your case, I encourage you to look at device health/Signal Strength.) Just FYI and hope this is helpful to provide clarity for anyone else experiencing this issue.

1 Like

There is static noise that comes through my Ring Indoor Security Cam. I just got it yesterday afternoon. Since then, there’s been static noise 4 times already, one of them waking us up in the middle of the night. This is seriously frustrating and if it continues, I’m going to have to return the entire setup: Doorbell, Chime Pro, and Indoor Cam.

I have gone through thorough troubleshooting. WiFi speed is excellent. Got a replacement camera and it still happens on all playback (live or event history) and on multiple devices

This is annoying! Stop blaming the network and the playback devices. I am going to ask for full refund if this is not fixed.

1 Like

Customer service is kind and swift, but ineffective. The product is substandard. I feel your pain, I installed 4 Stickup cams, doorbell pro, alarm system with two motion detectors and a floodlight cam. The static is frustrating, but you will also learn that it doesn’t pick up and record a lot of events. I have not been able to figure out the reason for not activating, but it is not a great product. I must stick with it, but if you are within the window of which you can get your money back and choose another system, I suggest you do.

After the original purchase and having 2 replacements sent, it is finally fixed - so far!!

Here’s what the awesome Ring Rep Jeremiah had me do.

1. Performed a new flood light cam set up using my mobile hot spot (which is using my AT&T moble data) instead of my home wifi.

2. The static noise STOPPED when connected to my mobile hot spot when viewing live or recorded motion video!!

3. Performed a new set up back to my home wifi. The issue stopped!!

A few notes:

1. We did not change anything on my home wifi set up. All we did was take it off my home wifi network, connect to a new network (my mobile hot spot), and then back to my home wifi.

2. My home network wifi speed was always excellent and the RSSI was always between 35-39. These steps did not magically improve my RSSI.

3. I have to assume there was some sort of firmware or software update that was forced when going through the above steps. Why else would taking the camera off my home wifi network, temporarily moving to a mobile hot spot and then back to my same home wifi fix this?? I’d like to know the answer to that one… Maybe a network expert can explain this and why this fixed it.

Glad I did not give up! It took 3 1/2 months and many hours on the phone retelling my issue and going through the same mindless and identical troubleshooting steps to get this resolved.

None of the previous “second level” support people had me do what Jeremiah did today. I am mad that I wasted so much time on this and that the solution the previous reps was to just send a new unit.

Hope this helps somebody out there!

2 Likes

As a former audio and radio station engineer, KLOA, I am surprised that no one has linked the popping and cracking sounds on the audio to the wind overloading the microphone. When using a microphone in the wind the engineer would tell the announcer to ‘put his wind sock on.’ I believe that where ever the microphone hole is located, it should be covered with a ‘wind sock’. Now where is that microphone hole?

1 Like

Has anyone mentioned where the microphone hole is please? I am having the same issue as my fllodlight cam is being constantly bombarded by the wind.

1 Like

This just started happening to two Ring Floodlight Pros of mine. Both are less than a year old and I hear constant static during live view and any recordings. I’ve reset and reconnected them both to my network wifi without issue. There is no sound coming from the speaker when under the unit. The setup voice sounds nice and clear from the unit. It’s strictly the recordings and live views. This is very disappointing. I have a ring pro doorbell 2 which is crystal clear, no issues. It’s just the flood lights. I plan on trying the hot spot suggestion above as well as calling support. Signal strength is 60 on both and I know this crackling static sound wasn’t there in the beginning.

1 Like

I just installed two ring spotlights and have light crackle static at all times during live mode or when the speaker is turned on. This is very frustrating, both are doing the same thing. My wifi is good and my speed is very fast, I dont have VPN or other devices interleafing.
$400.00 bucks, plus they want a subscription fee for this sub par crap. Im soo very frustrated.

Hey neighbors. If you’re hearing any sort of static on your Ring Cameras, please try the following troubleshooting steps:

• Check the RSSI listed on the Device Health page to ensure that your Camera is receiving a strong wifi signal.
  • Reboot the Camera from the Ring app. Scroll to the bottom of the Device Health page and tap “Reboot This Device”, which will take a few minutes.
  • If you have a mobile hotspot, try connecting your Camera to your hotspot to see if the static persists. Then reconnect your Camera back to your home wifi network.
  • Fully reset your Camera by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. After the reset is complete, walk the Camera through a new setup in the Ring app using the steps under Set Up a Device.
  • Review the Audio and Sound Issues Troubleshooting Guide on our Help Center.

If the above steps don’t work, please reach out to our support team at one of the numbers available here for more in-depth assistance. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.