Live view not working on stick up cams 3rd gen though works for doorbell

From some of the postings that I have read I’m starting to get the impression that people think having a high RSSI number is a good thing. The Ring levels are stated in minus figures so -40 is better than -70. See following link:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360030391371-Improving-your-Ring-Device-Connectivity-

My devices (4 of them) RSSI range from -23 (best) to -42 (worst) and by having direct connections to routers and also extenders I have had no issues since April.

I had the same issue as everyone else here. Bought a 2 pack stickup cam set and when they work they are great. Mine dropped offline without fail every 2 days. I tried given them static IPs but didn’t seem to help. I tried everything. They are outside but the WiFi signal is strong enough for them to not drop off every other day for sure.

I have a ring doorbell that has never once dropped offline as well as a ring indoor cam which has never missed a beat. I sent back for a full refund, must say customer service was very good all be it I was within the 30 days money back guarantee.

I am tempted to try the stickup elite cams with Poe to see if that makes any difference to the camera dropping offline being on a network cable but not sure if I want to shed out £170 on something that might not work.

Be interesting to know if anyone has had any success with the elites.

This problem is not solved.

I have a ring stick up cam (3rd gen) and I have the same problem.
This product worth nothing. :frowning:

Update: Switched to the spotlight cams. They work PERFECTLY. Same connection and comparable signal strength. The problem is definitely with these particular cams.

I wish I’d read this thread before I bought one of these things. Mine worked for an hour and then started telling me Live View wasn’t enabled. It was, but I disable it and then re-anabled it it, at which point the Ring App hung. I tried Rapid Ring too but that didn’t work either.

Thankfully I bought through Amazon so I have sent it back for a refund.

My Cameras stopped working a couple of days ago. Feeling like this system is not reliable. I can’t get a human online or on the phone to help resolve this issue. Should I give up on Ring and find another system? I can’t find a way to reset the system and there seems to be no real support to assist. Very frustrating. I’m about to give up on this.

My Spotlight cam is experiencing these issues now. I’ve tried setting up as new device etc without any luck
This is all I get. My Wi-fi is fine

I disabled modes and there is a good improvement in the live view response.
I had this problem on 2 of my stickup cams and now they respond to live view. But one still is having a problem occasionally but dose respond to live view more often then not. I now believe This is a software problem with ring and not a hardware problem. Ring needs to address this issse. And thank you for this helpful information.

I had the same problem I just change the frequency switch it to channel 1 on your router 2.4 GHz switch it to channel 1 and if you have 5 GHz change it to 36. Fixed the issue with live view.

I got a brand new gen 3 wired stick up. I was having a similar issue where it just would not load live mode. It just kept saying activating. Nothing worked. I tried unplugging cam and plugging back in, downloading the Ring app again(Rapid Ring did nothing), resetting the router. I finally decided to try something that worked perfectly fine for me and now see no issues.

Within the Ring app:
3 lines in the top left -> Devices -> Select Your Device -> Device Settings -> General Settings -> Remove This Device -> Warning Appears. Select “Reconnect This Device”.

Please let me know if this works for you guys who are still having this issue. Would be cool to know that we have a temporary fix while Ring works on their firmware.

Hi,

Another Mike here!

I have been tearing my hair out with this problem and the help desk don’t seem to understand.

Full Battery, Strong WiFi, Fibre 80/20, Hard Reset, Reinstalled App, Removed/Added camera, even tried opening ports and also setting static IP address.

I want to run the ring without a subscription. I only need the motion notifications, then following a notification I want to open a live view feed to see who is there. BOTH of these are more or less the only thing they advertise you can do without the subscription.

My Live Feed works

My push motion notifications work.

But if I try and open live feed AFTER receiving a motion notification (the only time I really need it to work) then LIVE VIEW HANGS.

It doesn’t matter if I click on the notification on ios to open app, or bypass the notification and open the app and then select Live View from the device page.

Mysteriously while on call to help it started to work, 1 day later and the Live View starts to Hang again after a notification.

I give up. It’s nice-looking, good battery, good quality stream, good FOV, but without a subscription, it doesn’t work as advertised and the help centre are time bandits. I’m not being hoodwinked into a subscription; It’s going back!

Hey neighbors! Thank you for chiming in if you seem to have this concern, but please ensure that we are preforming all possible troubleshooting. When it comes to the Live View not connecting/working on the Stick Up Cam 3rd Gen, or any of the cameras, it may not work on one device while it works on another. This could be isolated quickly and directly with our support team here to determine if this is a device issue or a network issue. To see if you can nail this yourself, see below!

Some neighbors have found relief to this concern by doing the following to their network:

• Switching networks for the device, whether this is from 2.4 Ghz to 5.0 Ghz (if possible for device/network to connect to)
  • Switching from connection to a router to a mesh system/Chime Pro/extenders and vice versa
  • Rebooting your router, ensuring that all ports and protocols are opened for the Ring devices
  • Ensuring you have proper speeds. Lots of neighbors during this time have noticed slower speeds because of the current conditions and changes to at home life
  • Disabling any VPNs

Some neighbors have found relief in this concern by doing the following to their Ring device:

• Completely reset the device by pressing and holding the setup button for 30 seconds
  • Removing the device (after saving any recordings you may need) and then re-setting the device up
  • Testing Live View with device next to the router
  • Ensuring device is fully charged
  • Looking at Device Health and confirming RSSI is in acceptable range

Some neighbors have found relief in this concern by doing the following to their app:

• Disabling VPNs on the phone
  • Removing the app, rebooting phone, reinstalling the Ring app
  • Trying the Rapid Ring app
  • Connecting to the app on wifi or mobile data only (testing whichever connection is not your normal)
  • Updating app/OS software on phone

If you’ve covered all of these to no avail, or would like that immediate assistance, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

I have done everything possible, except try the Rapid Ring, I’ll give that a try today before sending it back.

The rapid ring app doesn’t help.

Prior to any motion notifications live view was working perfectly and fast on my iPhone and the show.

Someone came to the door, triggered motion notification (via the rapid ring app - not ring app), and on the SHOW & DOT

When I tried to connect to live view (via rapid ring notification) I got a black screen with a rapid buggy loop between Establishing Session/Activating Camera. In the past, with the ring app, it would hang on trying to connect to live view with no icons such as red/green phone icons. So the only difference is the Rapid Ring loads the icon overlay and shows the loop bug.

So, as before: If motion is detected live view goes down! great! Whenever someone is actually at the door I can’t connect to Live view via Rapid Ring, Ring or the SHOW. The only solution is to turn OFF motion detection and access live view when we hear the person physically knocking on the door.

I have to wait several minutes before live view starts to work again and Rapid Ring, Ring and SHOW can all connect to live view once again.

ITS GOING BACK TODAY - NO MORE OF MY LIFE WILL BE SPENT TRYING TO GET THIS WORKING WITHOUT A SUBSCRIPTION.

Same issues here. I can’t believe Ring has done nothing to fix the problem in over a year. These cameras are crap. I will never buy another Ring product.

I just installed my new Ring Doorbell 3 and have the same issue with activating live view manually. It only seems to work correctly when there was some kind of event on the Doorbell a few seconds before (motion detection, ring). RSSI is about 50 and if the live video once is activated it works perfectly without any delay. But sometimes motion detection recordings in history are completely black screened.

For me this seems to be an unresolved software issue.

Am wondering if and when Ring realise there MUST be an issue in the software their end, after so many people are having the same issue, and do something about it.

Here’s hoping they do something about it soon!

Same problem, motion events are captured but no live view. This worked for me - Disable Ring event history timeline in the account settings:

1. Open your Ring app.
  2. Tap the three-lined icon in the upper left-hand corner of your screen to open the side menu.
  3. Tap Account.
  4. In the Account Setting screen under Advanced Settings, tap the Event History Timeline toggle. Blue shows the feature is turned on . White is off .

Once I turned this off live view worked again. If I turn it back on live view stops working.

Event history can still be viewed, it’s just not in the timeline style.

Update 1: This appears to only have fixed the issue temporarily. I can no longer connect to live view regardless of this setting.

Update 2: Still struggling with live view connection issues and even motion capture events not working. I have an RSSI that varies between -47 and -51. Wifi test on my phone next to the camera came back with about 30mbps download and 15 mbps upload. I have a wired doorbell on the same network that has been working flawlessly. If I go into the device setting and “change wifi network” and just join the cam back to the same network it was on previously it works again for a day or two but that involves me climbing a ladder to hit the orange reset button and I’m not interested in doing that on a daily basis. I’m using an old router as a wifi repeater to give a good connection to the stick up cam. Issue could be related to the wifi repeater but I doubt it. Going to mess with some more settings before I give up and hope that Ring finds that the issue is on their end and releases a firmware update.

Hi, I have the same issue, I’ve been trying everything that was suggested in this forum, and still cannot connect to live view, and it seems working intermittently, not sure how i can fix this, it’s very frustrating, not a very reliable system… Ring, please provide a solution!

My RSSI is 58 on my security light and the video is blotchy, the live doesn’t work 90% of the time and it is in direct line to my WiFi router. With Ring being the first on the scene to develop you wound think it would be the best on the market but I think their R&D is lacking. I won’t be buying any more ring products if they can’t get their stuff figured out. I also recently installed a ring doorbell on my moms house that will be getting switched to an off brand tomorrow because it is nothing but junk as well. Goes off constantly and won’t do live views.