Live view not working on stick up cams 3rd gen though works for doorbell

Mine is doing the same thing… it’s closest to the connection internet router yet it doesn’t ever work … the doorbell and back camera is fine and has never not let me live view … how do you fix it cause I’m ready to return all 4 cameras

1 Like

How is this marked as resolved? It’s clearly not, there’s so many people complaining of the exact same problem.

Signal strength, fine.
Videos uploaded due to motion detection, fine.

Activiting manually, fine.

Live view - not fine!

I’ve narrowed it down, for me - live view works if i do it straight after the device auto “health checks” (which i’ve waited for by sniffing network traffic). About 5 minutes after that, liveview no longer works until the next health check

3 Likes

I seem to be having the same problem with my spotlight cam, I noticed this seems to happen a lot when the motion is detected and I get the notification, I go to look at live view and it seems to be stuck on activating device and trying to process the recording rather than go to live view. This is intermittent roughy 50% of the time.

I also find the motion zones settings for this cam really poor and not very adaptable. There should be a lot more scope for adjustment and variation. The app adjustment for this is also poor as you can’t see as you are adjusting the size?

1 Like

Definitely not solved!!!

2 Likes

I have a ring Stick Up Cam Battery with Solar Panel and I have the same problem. What I noticed is that the issue happens most of the time during the day when the power is being supplied by the solar panel (power source shows it is not using the battery which is also 100% charged). When it gets dark and power switches to battery only, there are no issues. So it looks like during the day, even when the RSSI is between -40 to -55, the solar panel cannot supply enough power to the camera. In the Ring site, it says that “When plugged into an outlet, Stick Up Cam Battery will be powered by the adapter and will use the battery as backup“. Although I am not using an adapter, it recognizes the power from the solar panel coming an adapter. Can somebody confirm if they are having the same issue and what is the possible solution? Is there a firmware update that can fix this issue?

1 Like

For my Stickup cam I have exactly the same setup: battery and solar panel. If you read my previous postings, my last issue has been on April 24th, since the it’s been working perfectly. What I see in your post is that your RSSI swings from -40 to -55, that’s quite a spread. You could have interferance in your channel. My RSSI holds steady at -33 to -34. day and night. In my neighborhood I have a lot of 2.4 and 5.0 GHz users so I look and see what channels are available on 2.4 GHz with the least or no usage and that’s what i select. Ring has published a chart for the cams and I set up my routers and accordingly. Everything works fine.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004687606-Ring-Security-Camera-Product-Comparison

In that chart see Compatible Networks, make sure you’re at 2.4 GHz. Some have tried to set up their cams at 5 GHz. I did too in the beginning, did not work too well.

Sorry, haven’t read all 10 pages, but have people called Ring support? They are able to escalate to advanced technical team, who can in turn escalate to engineering.

I have the same issue and Ring support have sent a replacement, which I don’t think will make a difference based on others having the issue.

There are numerous thread this weeks with the issue so I think caling and escalting is the best option.

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Streaming-error-on-new-stick-up-cam/m-p/41526#M9247

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Stick-Up-Cam-repeatedly-disconnecting/m-p/40544#M9029

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Stick-Up-Cam-Battery-Not-Responding/m-p/40336#M8950

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Stick-Up-Cam-Battery-Not-Responding/m-p/40535#M9027

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Stick-up-cam-becomes-unresponsive/m-p/41159#M9150

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Stickup-Cam-stops-functioning-every-couple-days/m-p/41676#M9279

1 Like

Got the same issue here. Really wish I’d spotted this thread before wasting a couple of hours on the phone to tech support. Just received two brand spanking new cameras as direct replacements for my old stick up cams which I rasied the issue with. That’s the good news.

Bad news: there’s someting defintely off with the cameras themselves:

• Doorbell works perfectly, always has done

• Initally the cameras worked perfectly, then noticed they would regularly not alert or show live view

• Tried new batteries, rebooting units, removing from ring and re-adding no joy

• Reset wifi router several times, tried 2.4 only, 5ghz only no joy

• Replaced router with expensive wireless mesh system no joy

• Replaced stick up cams no joy

• Changed out DNS settings to go to google’s DNS servers, all ports opened, checked ISP not blocking the ports Ring told me to check etc. All no joy

Thinking back, this all seems to have started when they deployed the extra motion functionality and home/away modes. The stick up cams have been unstable ever since.

Logically it can’t be my network config or ISP config or the cameras wouldn’t work initially on reboot. Can’t be wifi as that’s all new.

Think the cameras are just pants and we’ll have to wait for a firmware update to correct. I’m not impressed in the slightest.

NB: As I type this, the kitchen cam has suddenly started working again, with no changes or intervention from me. Backs up the fact that the network, wifi or internet is not configured correctly. Unstable rubbish.

1 Like

I had a very similar issue. I have a doorbell pro, floodlight cams, and a spotlight cam that all work perfectly. I had issues with the 3rd gen stick up cam immediately. I initially set it up in the same room as my router just to get it joined to my network and test it out. I had to go through the initial setup twice to get it to connect. Then the live view would only work sometimes. Against my better judgement, I mounted it outside. It worked for like two days, then it wasn’t recording motion and I couldn’t view the live stream. Power cycling did nothing. I had to climb up on the ladder to hit the setup button and re join it to my network. It worked for a few more hours, and then stopped working again. That was the last straw. I took it down and returned it. I replaced it with a refurbished 2nd gen stick up cam that has been working like a champ. Something is defective with these 3rd gen cams.

1 Like

I spoke to support yesterday for 40 minutes and have sent 8 community links where people have posted about the issue (inc this thread). I’m not hopeful this will get resolved any time soon :frowning:

1 Like

Has anyone had any kind of positive response since all of these threads have been running? I’m still at square one even since Ring very swiftly replaced my two stick up cams (and due to C19 the old cams haven’t been picked up yet).

I might raise another issue with support if I get a couple of hours free.

1 Like

After a 40 minute call, support were still suspecting my network was the issue. Despite me mentioning the other devices never had this problem and that numerous other people have the same issue with stickup cam gen 3.

I’ve again sent them numerous links from the community.

1 Like

I have not called tech support because of all these threads posted over many months with no definite solution. I have 4 gen3 cams mounted outside. One of them seems to stop working just as many have described. I want a refund or replacement. Three of the 4 cameras work well and have dedicated wifi extenders. That may be a possible answer but nevertheless it shouldn’t be! Anyways, thank you all for posting your experiences!

1 Like

This is now 100% solved for me now. Here was my solution: took them back to John Lewis for a full refund.

JL were fantastic, no box or receipt but full refund without any argument as soon as they checked online and saw the support forums with many threads all with the same unresolved issue.

2 Likes

I purchased my cam, extra battery and Echo Show 8 less than 30 days ago. My charge is at 95% and signal strength is about 70. I started having the same problem tonite. Everything I have is updated and current. Please Ring, fix this problem. Also, I went through all the recommendations. The problem is not at my end. Thank you in advance

Update, my Stick Up Cam is up and running. Thank you Ring.:slight_smile:

From some of the postings that I have read I’m starting to get the impression that people think having a high RSSI number is a good thing. The Ring levels are stated in minus figures so -40 is better than -70. See following link:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360030391371-Improving-your-Ring-Device-Connectivity-

My devices (4 of them) RSSI range from -23 (best) to -42 (worst) and by having direct connections to routers and also extenders I have had no issues since April.

I had the same issue as everyone else here. Bought a 2 pack stickup cam set and when they work they are great. Mine dropped offline without fail every 2 days. I tried given them static IPs but didn’t seem to help. I tried everything. They are outside but the WiFi signal is strong enough for them to not drop off every other day for sure.

I have a ring doorbell that has never once dropped offline as well as a ring indoor cam which has never missed a beat. I sent back for a full refund, must say customer service was very good all be it I was within the 30 days money back guarantee.

I am tempted to try the stickup elite cams with Poe to see if that makes any difference to the camera dropping offline being on a network cable but not sure if I want to shed out £170 on something that might not work.

Be interesting to know if anyone has had any success with the elites.

This problem is not solved.

I have a ring stick up cam (3rd gen) and I have the same problem.
This product worth nothing. :frowning:

Update: Switched to the spotlight cams. They work PERFECTLY. Same connection and comparable signal strength. The problem is definitely with these particular cams.