Live view not working on stick up cams 3rd gen though works for doorbell

OP here again. I’m not really sure what happened but live view seems to work for me quickly on the doorbell and cameras. Like a couple of others have said, the doorbells finally say “up to date” when I check the firmware rather than a version number. Other than that I haven’t noticed anything and I hadn’t actually done anything to fix it lately. Maybe the key was staying home for many many many weeks. I’ve not tried it anywhere but home as I have not been anywhere but home since March 11th. I’ll give it a try remotely some day when I can get out of here.

2 Likes

I too am having the same issues outlined by others. I’ve gone through the troubleshooting steps that others have gone through as well. It still doesn’t work. As a product manager myself, I firmly believe this is a firmware issue. (pun intended). I’m happy to work with Ring to troubleshoot but I’d ask their product team reach out to me to help resolve. Happy to help where possible.

2 Likes

Exactly the same problem here. I’m in the UK with various ring devices. Ring Video Doorbell 3 plus works absolutely fine with Live View and shows the last health check as only one minute ago. However my two 3rd Gen Stick Up Cams will not show live view, both just state “streaming error”. Device health shows that one of the had a health check last completed 5 hours ago and the other had a health check last completed 23 hours ago! Terrible that Ring haven’t fixed this issue despite the amount of complaints on this thread!

4 Likes

I pulled the battery out of mine. Waited a couple of minutes and put it back in. Then reinstalled the cam via the phone app. Working proerly again. Fingers crossed…

2 Likes

…unlike my typing. Working “properly”.

1 Like

I have done this with mine. Work for a day or so and then they fail again.

I have to now check the app and see surprise when all cams show they are working. They seem to work when and how they want to!

This has to be a firmware issue??

2 Likes

Why is this thread marked as solved when it clearly isn’t???

2 Likes

I just installed a plug in stick up cam. It is always preventing live stream viewing stat that the battery level is critically low. I bought this so I wouldn’t have to worry about the battery. I selected the plug in option during setup. Did I make a mistake somewhere?

2 Likes

there is a big thread about this topic.

2 Likes

This will be my final update on this subject. It’s been 30 days of monitoring my Ring cams and I’m happy with how they are working. In betwen we had a 6 hour power outage in the neighborhood. Once power was restored and my routers and extenders came back up, all my cams came back online by themselves. This included my previously problematic stick up cam. On my part I would have to say that whatever the Ring team did, it worked.

1 Like

Same here, also in the UK. Still not fixed. I’ve had 2 of these cameras for a few days now and they simply don’t work. My doorbell 2 works fine. Done all the usual to the stickup cams, it’s clearly a firmware issue or maybe a server thing on ring’s end. Shocked at how long this has been going on, makes me think they aren’t going to fix it any time soon :frowning:

2 Likes

Indeed, I have just invested in the 10 piece alarm system and it’s great (so far!!!) alongside my ring doorbell 3 which has been flawless despite it being at our gate and quite away from the house, and then the stick up cam is just seriously flawed in comparison, even now when popping the battery and replacing it, I can’t get live view!!! I thought it was because I keep moving it around the house as that it what I bought it for (to keep an eye on my puppy) but even now having left it in one place I still have the issues.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about this experience, neighbors! The best first step will be to check the marked solution in this thread, which contains numerous steps to resolve this concern. Most importantly, wifi resources and signal strength will ensure for an efficient video connection.

I recommend also testing live view when the device is plugged in, and battery removed (using plug in power only). If this concern persists after trying all the steps we’ve recommended in this thread, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Ok, so I did not give any follow up to this problem on my side but I made some advances.

To be clear: THIS IS NOT A SOLVED PROBLEM !

Here is how the problem was tested and bypassed on my side.

I have numerous types of Ring devices : Ring bells (both working perfectly), wired POE Ring camera (working perfectly), Ring stick cam x 3, battery powered, solar powered and plugged, none were working properly.

The diagnostics i was able to make is that this is deffintly a connexion issue.

The disconnection problem only happen when using my wifi mesh system (TP LINK DECO) on both houses were it is set up.

When I switch to an old router 2.4ghz only wifi, the issue is not happening.

When i connect to a Ring wifi extender, the issue is not happening.

Please Ring it is time to give this issue a real concern and try to debbug it. There is deffintly a patern here.

Is it a problem with 5ghz networks ?

Is it a problem with fast roaming on mesh systems ?

Common this cannot be rocket science !

4 Likes

And PLEASE: stop reposting the standard debugging solutions everyone here has tried thousands of times. They are NOT working !

Thanks again for reading and giving this a correct follow up.

Stay safe,

Regards.

3 Likes

When I was installing my Ring devices one of the things that struck me was this FAQ from Customer Support:

" Do I need a wifi connection to set up my Ring device?
Yes. Ring devices require a wireless internet connection for operation. Ring devices are compatible with wireless routers running 802.11 B, G, or N, on 2.4 GHz."

That’s how I have set up my devices. I haven’t seen anything that shows them working on

5 GHz.

1 Like

Hello fellow Ring stick up cam victims,

I just purchased four Ring outdoor stick up cameras and the solar panel plug-ins. I also purchased three TP-link Wi-Fi extenders which work on dual band with strong signals. Without the WiFi extenders, the cameras would lose their connection and not go into live view while using either regular or rapid app. Now, all but one camera works well, even one with a RSSI of -66 to -70. What is strange is the one problem camera nearest to the router is mounted just outside my patio door, yet it has a RSSI -52 and loses connection and won’t go live view within 1 to 3 hours after being reconnected manually. My plan tomorrow is this: I will remove the device, reset, and reinstall, but if this does not fix the problem permanently then I will return this particular camera and get a new one and give Ring one last shot. Hopefully ring customer service can submit these reports to their appropriate department. This thread has been going on for months. Thank you everyone who has submitted comments regarding your problems. People like myself benefit from reading issues that have been reported by other people and helped me realize we’re not alone in our customer complaints. We are in this together!

2 Likes

Since my setup with my 4 Ring cameras has been working well for over a month and seeing that some posters are still having problems, I want to share my setup in the hope that it might help some.

I first started hooking up my 2 floodlight cams a year ago. One was working fine from the beginning, RSSI around 38. The second one had an RSSI of 76 and was erratic, up and down. Bought a cheap 2.4 GHz extender and the RSSI went to 23, no problems since then. A few months later bought a Spotlight cam. On install the RSSI was 67 and at times could not get a Live View and other times connection failure. Got another cheap extender, this time dual band, 2.4 GHz for cam, 5 GHz for Echo Dot. RSSI is now 44, no failures.

About 4 months ago bought a Stick Up cam. My troubles started almost immediately. I had hooked it up to a Linksys extender 2.4 GHz. RSSI was 35 so I knew that wasn’t an issue. At times the cam was unresponsive, lost communication, and also the view on the dashboard was totally washed out. While calling support and not getting results I went through 3 firmware upgrades. All of a sudden, one day, the cam started working as it should and it’s been like working fine for over a month. I believe that it was a firmware update that corrected whatever issues the cam had.

Mine is doing the same thing… it’s closest to the connection internet router yet it doesn’t ever work … the doorbell and back camera is fine and has never not let me live view … how do you fix it cause I’m ready to return all 4 cameras

1 Like

How is this marked as resolved? It’s clearly not, there’s so many people complaining of the exact same problem.

Signal strength, fine.
Videos uploaded due to motion detection, fine.

Activiting manually, fine.

Live view - not fine!

I’ve narrowed it down, for me - live view works if i do it straight after the device auto “health checks” (which i’ve waited for by sniffing network traffic). About 5 minutes after that, liveview no longer works until the next health check

3 Likes