Live View timeout

I would like to know if the timeout functionality will be modified. The reply seems to be that this change can not be implemented. Does this mean that the change will never occur? As a compromise, I am sure that the timeout limits can be modified. I just purchased some additiobal cameras to watch my dog. I am hopeful that ring will do the right thing and at the very least make some timeout modifications to help the ring community.

5 Likes

Totally agree!

I just purchased the Ring Peephole doorbell/camera for my apartment and wanted to be able to continuoulsy monitor the front door.

I have owned, and still own, other security camera prouducts and this is the FIRST time I have run into a ‘security’ device that times-out (from showing live video feed) after a period of time (10 minutes).

I don’t know which Ring ‘genius’ thought that a live feed timeout was a good idea but what is the ‘logic’ behind this?

To give someone approaching your door more ‘cover’ before you know they are near your door?

Complete non-sense!

Drew

Las Vegas, NV

4 Likes

well had my ring for over a year and a half really wanted to have live view without timeout on my echo show, to watch children in front yard…

since it cannot work over 10 minute + device connect on doorbell take anywhere from 10 sec to 30 seconds i will moving to another company, ubiquity doorbell instead.

thank you

3 Likes

Could you please prioritize this enhancement for an upcoming release? This timeout thing is ridiculous, and there should be a system property where it can be configured. I am regretting buying my four indoor cams now.

Complete garbage, I’m also unimpressed with the amount of dev time you invest on your non-mobile applications which seemingly are about several major releases behind mobile apps.

4 Likes

@Chelsea_Ring did you ever get a response from the team that you passed the feedback to? This thread is going to grow longer and longer as people realize this massive design flaw.

2 Likes

Hey @TX_Chap. Chiming in for Chelsea here. This has been passed to the appropriate teams. The best place to voice your feedback on this would be through our Feature Request Board. A fellow neighbor has posted the link to this post earlier in the thread. It would be great to give this idea an upvote!

2 Likes

I definitely agree . I was very excited to buy my ring camera and my Amazon fire tablet to display as a monitor . Soon realizing that It times out in a few minutes . Huge let down and in my opinion major flaw on the ring app. I really do hope they fix this. Very unhappy and now I have a new fire tablet , a wall mount , and two ring cameras but my main goal was to set it up to stay on consistently . Ring of your reading this, I really hope you fix this glitch

3 Likes

Same I hate it . Driving me crazy . Major flaw

2 Likes

definitely agree . I was very excited to buy my ring camera and my Amazon fire tablet to display as a monitor . Soon realizing that It times out in a few minutes . Huge let down and in my opinion major flaw on the ring app. I really do hope they fix this. Very unhappy and now I have a new fire tablet , a wall mount , and two ring cameras but my main goal was to set it up to stay on consistently . Ring if your reading this, I really hope you fix this glitch

2 Likes

If anyone from Ring Product team is still reading this thread, please fast track this request. It is expected to have a security camera to be available for continuous operation as needed. I would have expected the developers to leave it up to the user to decide on the timeout and the duration. I bought the Indoor Camera with Amazon Echo Show 8 to use as a baby monitor, such a disappointment to learn that the combination is not fit for the intended purpose. If continuous operation and monitoring is not available with Ring indoor camera, I will be forced to return the product and unfortunately will have to switch to another ecosystem. Please get your act together ASAP.

7 Likes

Mine just now started timing out after 1 min. What can I do?

1 Like

Fix this problem!

3 Likes

Hi neighbors! There was recently an incident reported on Status.Ring.com, in regards to live view being unable to connect. This has since been resolved as of 12/8/2020 at 11:40 UTC, as mentioned on the status page. If you are still experiencing live view concerns, check out our Community post for live view troubleshooting steps.

For further assistance, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

@Marley - this thread is about the 10 minute timeout in Ring cameras when in LiveView mode. In my particular case, the stand-up indoor Ring camera is used for monitoring with Alexa as the screen, the timeout is really annoying as the live view feed disconnects every 10 minutes which forces us to re-open Ring camera using Alexa voice command. We are looking at Ring team to fix this timeout issue, either by providing a user setting (e.g. never time-out, time-out at interval, say 10 minutes). Many thanks!

4 Likes

Live View is pretty useless right now. For the past few days, at least, when it does connect it only does so for about a minute, sometimes less.

Gone is the pathetic 10 minute time out. Now I am lucky to get just 1 minute of live view. Impossible to monitor for anything.

3 Likes

It’s only 1 minute for me, had I known there is a timeout on live view I probably wouldn’t have spent the money on this…

3 Likes

I agree with the people posting their displeasure in the 10 minute timeout failure. This should be emphasized in the description for the camera. Had I known this limitation, I would have bought some other camera. Very poor engineering decission for sure. Ring needs to wake up and satisfy the customers.

3 Likes

I really wish the 10 minute limit didn’t exist. I have a Ring doorbell installed by my mother’s bed. She has Alzheimer’s and it’s been an *almost* perfect solution for us. On good days, she can push the button when she needs help. On days when she’s less coherent, I need a way to watch in constantly. The 10 minute live view limit is a pain, though, and I’m afraid we’ll end up purchasing a different camera.

3 Likes

Maybe this needs a Class Action Lawsuit?!

3 Likes

I don’t want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don’t care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree

I just want my live mode to stay live

2 Likes