Live View timeout

I bought the Ring Stick Up Camera Elite in order to monitor my dog in the backyard, while I work in my home office. Live View appears to timeout after 10 minutes, which defeats my primary purpose for having this camera. I’m going to reach out to Ring support by phone to see if they can turn this limitation off on my account and report back. This is stated nowhere in any of the product literature and is a terrible design flaw, which will result in my negative review.

23 Likes

Hey @Porkins. When activating the Live View, it will only be accessible when answered for 10 minutes. We do not have a way to alter this and make it longer at this time, so you will need to re-enable the Live View whenever it turns off. I recommend to increase your motion sensitivity and the zones it is looking in to see if your device can pick up the dogs whenever you are not viewing the camera from the Live View! I will make sure to pass on your feedback to the appropriate teams on this matter, as we are always striving to make the experience better for our neighbors.

2 Likes

@Porkins

Did you ever find a workaround to get more than 10 minutes for live view?

Did you end up keeping your Ring Stick Up Camera Elite?

1 Like

I agree that this is a major design flaw that I hope will be fixed soon. We are using live feed to monitor our baby during his naps and it is difficult to rest ourselves or get things done when the live feed turns off every 10 minutes.

12 Likes

It would be annoying to have to resort to a workaround, but you probably could certain browser plugins to refresh after a certain period of time. I hate that I have to resort to such a wonky solution since it proves how stupid the problem is. I kept the camera only as a holdover until I get a set of HD PoE cameras running on a DVR. Then, I might use it as a backup only.

2 Likes

I also am upset about this design flaw. I’ve tried multiple methods including an auto-refresh extension on my desktop and that didn’t work. Even if you’re looking at it for 10 minutes straight while actively touching the screen, it will timeout. This is terrible and should be addressed in the next update.

7 Likes

@Superman

Agreed. Hopefully a new update will resolve this issue. It’s difficult trying to track down why the timeout exists. I’m currently working on a Visual Basic workaround for the issue but it will only work for a dedicated system. (i.e. for when you have a monitor on a PC that sits there and is used only to monitor a Ring camera.)

Basically, how the workaround will work is that every 10 minutes it will select the Ring app and then click the Live button.

Currently this request is just 7 votes away from the TOP 10, so that’s good.

8 Likes

Is this still not resolved? it must be the only solution that has this major design flaw - PLEASE FIX ASAP It’s driving me insane!

7 Likes

@JonJClarke

It’s still an open item but I have developed a workaround for Windows 10 and I can use some beta testers if your interested:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Live-View-10-Minute-Limit-Workaround/m-p/50667#M16771

Which OS are you wanting the timeout issue resolved for? (IOS, Android, or Win10)

Also, don’t forget to vote. This timeout item just made the Top 10 list for the most wanted requests.

5 Likes

I agree. I watch my kids in the pool with this camera. I have the flood camera for this purpose. I’ll have to switch to arlo if this isn’t resolved soon. Any progress?

4 Likes

I would like to know if the timeout functionality will be modified. The reply seems to be that this change can not be implemented. Does this mean that the change will never occur? As a compromise, I am sure that the timeout limits can be modified. I just purchased some additiobal cameras to watch my dog. I am hopeful that ring will do the right thing and at the very least make some timeout modifications to help the ring community.

5 Likes

Totally agree!

I just purchased the Ring Peephole doorbell/camera for my apartment and wanted to be able to continuoulsy monitor the front door.

I have owned, and still own, other security camera prouducts and this is the FIRST time I have run into a ‘security’ device that times-out (from showing live video feed) after a period of time (10 minutes).

I don’t know which Ring ‘genius’ thought that a live feed timeout was a good idea but what is the ‘logic’ behind this?

To give someone approaching your door more ‘cover’ before you know they are near your door?

Complete non-sense!

Drew

Las Vegas, NV

4 Likes

well had my ring for over a year and a half really wanted to have live view without timeout on my echo show, to watch children in front yard…

since it cannot work over 10 minute + device connect on doorbell take anywhere from 10 sec to 30 seconds i will moving to another company, ubiquity doorbell instead.

thank you

3 Likes

Could you please prioritize this enhancement for an upcoming release? This timeout thing is ridiculous, and there should be a system property where it can be configured. I am regretting buying my four indoor cams now.

Complete garbage, I’m also unimpressed with the amount of dev time you invest on your non-mobile applications which seemingly are about several major releases behind mobile apps.

4 Likes

@Chelsea_Ring did you ever get a response from the team that you passed the feedback to? This thread is going to grow longer and longer as people realize this massive design flaw.

2 Likes

Hey @TX_Chap. Chiming in for Chelsea here. This has been passed to the appropriate teams. The best place to voice your feedback on this would be through our Feature Request Board. A fellow neighbor has posted the link to this post earlier in the thread. It would be great to give this idea an upvote!

2 Likes

I definitely agree . I was very excited to buy my ring camera and my Amazon fire tablet to display as a monitor . Soon realizing that It times out in a few minutes . Huge let down and in my opinion major flaw on the ring app. I really do hope they fix this. Very unhappy and now I have a new fire tablet , a wall mount , and two ring cameras but my main goal was to set it up to stay on consistently . Ring of your reading this, I really hope you fix this glitch

3 Likes

Same I hate it . Driving me crazy . Major flaw

2 Likes

definitely agree . I was very excited to buy my ring camera and my Amazon fire tablet to display as a monitor . Soon realizing that It times out in a few minutes . Huge let down and in my opinion major flaw on the ring app. I really do hope they fix this. Very unhappy and now I have a new fire tablet , a wall mount , and two ring cameras but my main goal was to set it up to stay on consistently . Ring if your reading this, I really hope you fix this glitch

2 Likes

If anyone from Ring Product team is still reading this thread, please fast track this request. It is expected to have a security camera to be available for continuous operation as needed. I would have expected the developers to leave it up to the user to decide on the timeout and the duration. I bought the Indoor Camera with Amazon Echo Show 8 to use as a baby monitor, such a disappointment to learn that the combination is not fit for the intended purpose. If continuous operation and monitoring is not available with Ring indoor camera, I will be forced to return the product and unfortunately will have to switch to another ecosystem. Please get your act together ASAP.

7 Likes