Light Schedule on Pause

Well as I said it was just a close association of the two that made me think it was linked and I am going to test my theory as soon as I have the time. My lights don’t go off immediately either after motion is detected but it sure seems like most of the time the lights have gone off it’s after I’ve either had a answered motion alert, viewed an alert from motion or just noticed there had been a motion alert that I’ve noticed them off later and I haven’t determined definitively if these events are linked - they may not be. I know that there is a amount of time that the lights would stay on once motion is detected if the light were setup as motion activated. Also I believe they use two separate systems to activate the lights - one for the video and one for the lights. The motion sensor for the lights covers a considerably larger area than the one that triggers the camera so you may not get a motion alert and or video when the light sensor detects motion so you may not have even realized there was motion detected by the lights motion sensor unless your lights had gone off after the motion event at some point (assuming that’s the cause) as there is no alert or log available to us of motion that the lights motion sensor detected. I know neither of us are using motion activated lighting but it sure seems like it isn’t being shut down completely when you choose to use the schedule.

I could be wrong, it was just a causal observation but I am going to test it as soon as I can. There has to be something that is triggering this behavior because there seems to be no rhyme or reason otherwise for this seemingly random behavior and usually tech (and I don’t want to start a discussion of this and get off track) like this has some error in the programming that’s causing it as there is USUALLY nothing just random that explains a behavior. What I mean is it’s explainable IF the reason can be found… If this were a physical problem with the light like a bad connection or bugs in the fixture (and it could be I just doubt it) I would expect it to not go so long or quickly between occurrences or affect more than one light shortly after install and the fact that these were new when the behavior started leads me to believe it’s something in the programming that is causing the problem and it’s not just a truly random event. Sorry, I digress. I’m just brainstorming here as it’s frustrating to have a light that doesn’t function correctly. You’d think that in this day and age you could set a timer for a light and it would be followed.

When things like this happen it really makes me hate devices that don’t let you get under the hood and try things your self such as rolling back firmware or choosing not to upgrade it when you have it working correctly. Ring just hides so much from the user in its effort to be ■■■■■ proof (for instance I can’t even tell what version of firmware I have, all I get is a statement that it’s up to date but how do I really know if I can’t see the version) and I completely understand why they do this, I just don’t like it.

Sorry for the long post.

1 Like