Light Schedule on Pause

I had an issue where I would create a light schedule but my floodlights would not turn on at those scheduled times. In the beginning, I saw that the lights were on when they were not scheduled, giving me the impression that the lights were randomly turning on/off by themselves. But then I thought it might be a time zone issue. I am in EST, but set my schedule based off of zulu time. As soon as I did that, they lights turned on when I wanted them to. In hindsight, my lights weren’t randomly turning on/off, but following zulu time.

1 Like

I am having the same problem i cant get my lights to come on by schedule. What is being done to resolve this problem?

I have been having a very similar issue. The lights are not following the schedule…they sometimes turn on at the correct time, they sometimes turn off at the correct time. But they also are very spontanous. I cannot seem to find a pattern. Support phone calls have been very unhelpful with the “turn it off and on again” approach. Any help or advice would be appriciated.

1 Like

In the same boat with the light schedule. It has only followed the schedule for maybe 24 hours. It will turn on at 1 in the afternoon and not turn off. It will stay off at sunset, or it won’t turn off at sunrise. All I want is dusk to dawn. This shouldn’t be hard, but it is.

I have verified that my light schedule is working off of Zulu, GMT or whatever else you like to call it time. I live in US Central Time (UTC-6) so I just add 6 hours to my local time I want my lights to go on or off. Don’t forget to turn off the motion activation light feature if you want to check for your schedule working properly. Someone else on this thread discovered the Zulu time setting… I’m just confirming it. I don’t understand why Ring can’t fix this or tell people what the issue is. Their cameras work great but their light leave more to be desired.

2 Likes

This sounds promsing. Mind boggling, yet promising. I am PST and just made the adjustment. I will check back after a cycle or two. Thanks!

That fixed it. I set it to GMT timers and we are all good

Or instead of that. Just call and they will set your cameras to whatever time zone you are in. Took about 5 minutes on the phone

SOLVED: Ring Floodlight Light Schedule not working

FIXED: I called Ring support and asked them to update each camera to use my local time zone. This requires a Tier 2 support member so I was on hold for a few minutes. But after the update the schedules are working properly now, and I can set them using my local time.

Before I made the call , I also verified that the workaround from a previous post does work: you can set the schedule using Zulu time. (for me, this was 6hrs ahead)

For some reason, I tried leaving the app going in the background after I made/revised my schedule. So far, it has been working as intended for the last 3 days. I was thinking that the problem seemed to be in the app itself or with the control link between the 2, so I gave it a shot. If it continues for a week or 2, I’ll try closing the app down and seeing if it continues operating correctly.

i started having the same issue where my floodlight cameras would disregard the schedule settings in my ring app… it all started after i linked my amazon account to ring. SO as a workaround, i disabled the lighting schedule in the ring app, and then uses the amazon alexa app to create a routine to turn the lights on at sunset, and then a second routine to turn them back off at sunrise. this is an inexcusable glitch for ring / amazon - BUT this has been working for me as a “fix”

let me know if this works for anyone else having the same issue!

thanks!

What happened to Marley & Jennifer from Ring and their interaction on this issue? Having to set the light schedule using GMT is an obvious known product defect discovered & reported not by Ring but by their customers…I am using GMT-6 for lights on/off and can positively confirm it works for my time zone…it is very disappointing that Ring has neither officially acknowledged nor corrected this problem that many multiple users like me are experiencing

1 Like

I called tech support and finally got someone that knew what he was doing. He reset the unit to my time zone. I was only the fourth call to tech support before I resolved the problem. I guess being persistent paid off. Really ring first thee calls the techs had no clue.

Redboats, yeah, you not finding tech support knowledgeable about the problem is the problem…I find it hard to understand…

10JUL19 Marley wrote;

“We’re sorry about this and truly do appreciate your patience. The team is looking into it and working on a fix. We will update this thread with more information once available.”

Maybe the team didn’t get the message…but if there is a fix possible over the phone seems logical this could be addressed globally with a permanent fix

My floodlight camera started doing this exact thing after my WiFi reset two days ago.
It will not follow the light schedule

Update: This was a reply to a much earlier post that was asking for a sunrise/sundown feature instead of manually setting the time, to avoid constantly changing the schedule through the season. I was think thinking it would be an in-line reply. Anyway, I will check the Greenwich time zone fix.

Actually they don’t need to change the hardware to implement what your asking for. These devices are connected to the internet, sunrise/sundown information is already available for their system to take advantage of. For instance on my Alexa app you can setup a timer based on a desired time or one of the options is sunrise/sundown. I used that routine for Xmas lights and it worked perfectly. It even provides the flexibility to set a +/- delay, for instance 15 min before sunset.

Anyway, the reason why I’m reading these posts is because I just bought a ring floodlight, Jan 2020, and my light simply ignores my schedule. I was initially annoyed that the app didn’t include the Amazon sunrise/sundown option to later feel a bigger slap on the face when the actual manual schedule didn’t even work in the first place. I know Amazon bought Ring but I think they’re still a separate team based in Southern CA. The rest of the Echo hardware is designed by the main team in Sunnyvale. A glitch like this occurring for this long on a device like this leaves me speechless. Grrrr!!!

Someone mentioned that they just created a routine in the Alexa app to control the light for sunrise/sundown. I’ve added the Ring skill to Alexa and I’m able to see the camera feed on my Alexa Show, but I don’t see how I can control the light. Thoughts?

Mine also has its own mind when it’s supposed to be on a schedule. My backyard flood cam is scheduled to go on and off at a specific time but doesn’t follow it at all. I can’t tell you how many times I wake in the middle of the night to complete darkness in the back.

Thank you ShelbyGT500! Setting it to GMT-6 worked for me, I just tested it. If you’re PMT change your start and stop times to 8 hours ahead and they work like they are supposed to.

As some of the posts mentioned, I did confirm that calling ring and asking them to set your time zone correctly works. Although I must say it took 2 calls, and a request to escalate. The tier one team seem to not know or not have access to the right setting. Let’s see how long this lasts, hopefully it won’t stop working the next time ring updates the unit’s firmware!