Indoor Cam won't enter setup mode

I have a fix
Press and hold the pairing button at the top for 20’seconds the blue light will flash for one second , this is the factory reset, then press and release the button quickly it will then enter pairing mode (I also had to reboot my WiFi) all three cameras which has previously gone off worked with this method

4 Likes

Thanks for writing this this !! This step was not written anywhere else and is key

this is the 3rd ring cam i have had - one works great - one works intermittintly but this latest one wont go into setup mode no matter what i try (and i have tried everything !!). I see people saying to hold down the top button for 20 seconds to do a factory reset but that does nothing on mine

Sorry to hear about this, @linzynj! Holding the setup button for 20 seconds should result in a reset, and there should be lights indicating either the reset or entering setup mode. As you mentioned this did not work, try using another outlet in the home for powering the Camera.

If this concern persists despite a reset and testing different power sources, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hello. Also the same thing is happening to my indoor cam. I have two. The original one I bought worked for approx 1 month and then kept going into offline mode, it now won’t enter set up mode at all. Tried resetting router, tried various power outlets, tried the 20 second reset, tried to remove device and re install but it also doesn’t enter set up mode regardless. The blue light flashes every 30 seconds or so but that is it. The other cam which is in the same room works fine (up to now!) this is clearly a wider issue as many having the same issues. Has anyone called Ring team for a fix?

Both my indoor cams worked for about 5 minutes, then started updating themselves, and now are bricked. They will not enter setup mode even after holding down the button for 30 seconds. No lights, either. Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

1 Like

Hey Neighbors! If resetting or power cycling the Indoor cam doesn’t make it become responsive, please reach out to our support team for further assistance! Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I have the same exact issue with two of my indoor cams. I tried resetting to factory setting but that didn’t work either. Called ring support and they asked me to return the devices. I got a replacement for both and they worked for few hours and now are frozen. Did anyone has anyother ideas/suggestions I could try? Thanks in advance!

Hello all. I recently purchased a 3 pack Indoor Camera. I’ve had Ring Doorbell for years, so I figured some interior cameras to keep an eye on my small children would be a great idea. Setup for all 3 went great. However, my living room camera (no more than 3-5ft away from my router) just quit working 15 minutes into operation. Found out, via Ring Support, it quit just after completing it’s firmware update. This was annoying, but I’ve worked with computers and electronics long enough to know duds and Lemons exist. So, got a warranty replacement in the mail a week or so later. Used a different outlet, with a surge protector this time, and same distance from the router.

Exact. Same. Issue.

Now, this is beyond duds and Lemons. After reading everyone’s posts here, it’s obvious there is a major flaw in the manufacturing of these cameras if this many people have had the exact same issue. I’m glad Ring is not charging for the replacements, and providing a mail-return sticker for the duds.

But if you are doing these things, you (Ring) obviously recognize and acknowledge the severity of the issue. Why arnt all cameras tested prior to packaging to avoid these very inconsiderate and inconvenient situations?

My SECOND replacement is on the way. Hopefully this one works. If not, I’ll be returning all my cameras (and doorbell) and going to Google’s Nest product line.

This worked for me. The important step here is pressing the top button quickly again after holding down for 20 seconds. If you don’t do that, it won’t enter setup mode.

I bought an indoor cam and it worked for 15 minutes, so I took it back to the store and exchanged for a new one. The replacement bricked as soon as the firmware updated. It won’t even reset. I’ve tried it multiple outlets that I know work and still no luck. I’m very disappointed that this hasn’t been fixed yet.

Solutio: after not one, not two, but 3 replacement cameras it appears we have a fully-functioning camera now.

The ONLY reason this occurred has to be manufacturer defect in a certain lot/batch. And instead of RING removing these cameras from circulation, they kept them in circulation to make it the customer job to identify and replace them.

Which means the problem with this specific lot of cameras is unpredictable and inconsistent. Way to go RING, passing the buck to your customers ?

1 Like

I have a similar issue.
All of a sudden, the indoor camera showed up on the app as “offline” with the blue light flashing once every 20 seconds.
Unplugged the camera, but still the same.
Tried the ‘holding the button for 20+ Seconds and pressing again’ routine countless times, but still no succes.
Every couple of attempts, the light flashes rapidly while I hold the butten, but stops when I release it.

I am very disappointed that a device that’s meant for security is letting me down like that.

Another annoyance is that the store where I’ve bought this camera is quite far, so returning will not be easy.

I’m a ring installer and had trouble with the indoor cam, I was pressing the top button too long… just a quick press puts it in setup mode and holding down for 20 seconds to factory settings then a quick press put it in setup mode… make sure you’re on the same wifi network… 2G if you have options of 2G and 5G because ring only works on 2G… and reset of router before

Has this issue (looks like some sort of software issue) been updated in the meantime? This morning I was in contact with the Ring helpdesk (same issue as everyone here) and was told to reach out to the webshop (3rd party). The webshop is now sending me a replacement camera, but to be honest I’m expecting the exact same issue will happen again after a couple of days…

Same here after it started update it just stopped working. It would be great since it has a usb plug in people could connect it to their computers and have the issue be fixed with better update. I got mine as a gift for christmas not sure where they bought it exactly and would break their hearts if I was to tell them that they wasted their money. Ring most definitely knows about the problem so you would figure during this time of crap they would find away for people to fix the issue by plugging it into computer for correct software and would save alot of contamination with people sending it back and forth.

Yup I agree. I have 4 of them and returned and exchanged one at Best Buy because of this issue. The new one did the same thing a day later. It’s usually the devices that come from other retailers and not directly from Ring. The firmware doesn’t update properly and cam becomes unresponsive. Ring is sending me a replacement that is newly manufactured from the factory and hopefully it won’t have any issues.

Same problem, for the second time. First time they told me that they would send me a new camera, and I even got an email saying that it is on it’s way. That new camera never arrived, but the old one started working suddenly.

Now the same thing is happening. Long blue light patterns, doesn’t show the Ring WIFI network so I cannot connect to it. Sometimes when I press it for a long time, starts blinking quickly and that blinking lasts as long as I am holing it, but does really nothing. The Ring network is still not showing on my phone.

Reseted my router for a number of times, did all of it multiple times. The cam does nothing except flashing those loong blue patterns with long pauses in between.

This is the confirmed fix to this problem, and if you get the Wifi password wrong, you’ll need to unplug and try again. My setup failed with a flashing red light. It seems to be longer than 20 seconds, but after I saw the blue light, I released the button and then pressed it again quickly. btw: That is a long hold to reset the device, IMHO, TBH.

1 Like

My solution was to forget the camera on my app and scan again like a new set up

1 Like