How to switch off motion detection for light on Spotlight Cam

I’m using Ring Spotlight Cam wired and can not disable the light.

My setting is “light off”, mode available and in the configuration motion detection is disable. This works for the camera but not for the light.

On every motion the light switches on. I switch it off in the app, check the settings (and all are set to off and no motion detection) but on next motion it switches on again,

Any idea how to solve this?

Many thanks!

2 Likes

Yes I also wonder… Besides turning off the motion sensors, why not implement a simple toggle into the app?

1 Like

I have the same issue/question. I hope someone replies to help. The only thing I’ve been able to do is go to Light Settings > Motion Zones for Lights. Then turn off the 3 zones if I plan to be outside on the patio after dark.

1 Like

Hi neighbors! This is actually by design. While you are able to control the lights on your Spotlight Cam, including adjusting light motion settings separately from regular motion settings, the lights will still trigger when a normal motion activates. Even with the light zones off, if a motion activates the Camera to being recording, the lights are intended to trigger to illuminate the area.

The duration for how long these lights stay on after motion is detected can be changed, and the lights can be turned on/off manually within the app as well. Check out our help center article about controlling the lights on your Spotlight Cam for more information on this. :slight_smile:

Thanks Marley for your reply but this isn’t the solution and it isn’t at it should (and could) work.

If i plan to do a party in my garden i like to use iluminated lights and therefore i don’t want to get the ring-cam light switched on.

With one of the latest app updates you allow to define and switch between different modes, I.e. in mode “available” you can set the action for each device. I set camera recording to off, motion alarm to off and ligth to off. Camera and Motion Alarm accept this but not Light Off. …and i think this is what the users want and is already implemented but with a bug regarding the light switch.

Please check this with development and let this fix in the next App update.

Thanks and kind regards

Stefan

1 Like

I agree. I have a hard shut off switch to shut my flood light off. There should be a way via the app to turn the motion light COMPLETELY off without having to use a hard switch to the light.

Sometimes friends and family in the yard want to enjoy the dark with some tiki torches, fire pit etc.

Right now I have to find a WIFI switch to my flood light to make it do with what the Ring Flood light should EASILY be able to do.

1 Like

I think I have figured out a way to do this.
But this stupid and could have been a design intent.
I created a schedule to turn of the lights disk to dawn for all days of the week.
Then I turn it off

Then on the nights I need the lights to stay off. I enable this schedule
This works

This is absurd. Two years later and I’m still having the same problem. Why have a switch to turn off lights or motion detection if you can’t ever really turn them off? Any motion and they turn right back on. Absolutely terrible user experience with your design. Of course people will want the option to turn the lights off. I set up a schedule to force lights off, per other people in here, and it STILL turns on with motion. Ugh.

Setting a light schedule or motion schedule doesn’t work for me. This is beyond absurd. There is NO way to disable the light at all from the Device Dashboard. Disabling Motion Detection doesn’t do a thing. BUT if you click Device Settings from the Device Dashboard then click Light Settings there is a slider called Motion-Activated Lights. When I slide that to off not only does the light not come on when the device senses motion, the light doesn’t come on even if connected devices sense motion. I have no idea why Ring Support isn’t telling people that. Try it yourself and good luck.

Hi neighbors, happy to chime in and offer some clarification here. On your Ring Spotlight Cam, you can find all of the applicable settings for the light under Device Settings > Light Settings. On this menu, you should see a Motion-Activated Light toggle that you can turn on or off. This toggle controls whether or not the light turns on when your Spotlight Cam detects motion at night. There may be some variance in what other settings are available depending on if you have a wired device or a battery powered device.

If you need further assistance with your Spotlight Cam light settings, you can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.