High-pitched noise coming from my floodlight camera

How do I stop this loud, static, piercing noise coming from my floodlight camera? I woke up to it 3 hours ago and I’m still trying to figure out how to fix it. I can’t find a reset button, the customer no-service chat option is useless, and finding this Ring Community was practically a miracle! It’s all very frustrating (I probably shouldn’t use this opportunity to vent). I sincerely appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thank you.

@Elizabeth wrote:

How do I stop this loud, static, piercing noise coming from my floodlight camera? I woke up to it 3 hours ago and I’m still trying to figure out how to fix it. I can’t find a reset button, the customer no-service chat option is useless, and finding this Ring Community was practically a miracle! It’s all very frustrating (I probably shouldn’t use this opportunity to vent). I sincerely appreciate any suggestions you may have. Thank you.

Hello @Elizabeth ,

Sorry to hear that your Floodlight Cam is making weird noises. Yes, you should try to do a reset by pushing the Reset Button. If your issue continues, you should try a hard “Factory Reset” by pressing and holding the reset button for at least 20-seconds.

The Reset button is the small button on the top of the camera, and below is a link with a picture showing its location:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001278003-Floodlight-Cam-Setup-Mode

If a Factory Reset does not resolve your issue, you should telephone Ring Support for their help at:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19, their available hours have been changed also:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

I hope you find this information helpful. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just experienced the same high pitch from mine, mid-morning. Mine is on a switch, I turned the switch off, waited a few seconds and turned it back on. It powered up, no high pitch tone, and is working as it should. I hope it does not do this again while we are gone for a few days! The neighbors did not appreciate it, they did notice it and report it to us as a possible alarm?

1 Like

Hi @h2odoc781. Glad you were able to fix this. If it does happen again, contact support using one of of the links Boone provided. :smiley:

1 Like

Same issue just happened to me. Does the device need to be replaced or is it safe to turn back on? I live in a city and my neighbors would be extremely upset if this happened again in the middle of the night.

Happened this evening to ours too. Took me a while to identify that it was the floodlight camera. Turning it off the on again resolved it.

Not a problem on a cold night but we would have had complaints if it was summertime.

In the UK and it is around -3 degrees centigrade.

2 Likes

I had same issue with flood light buzzing. It woke me up in the middle of night. Once I went outside and realized it was the camera i had to turn off switch for awhile and then flip back on. Don’t know what I would have done to turn off if I was not home all day and it started this load siren noise comming from my house. Ring fix this issue for us please. Guess you can maybe turn off WiFi connection from app if not home. Has anyone tried that? It would be a pain to reset it again though. At least mine is in this area having to reach the Button to set up again.

Just experienced it for the first time moments ago. Had to flip the breaker because we installed it above our garage door via a ladder. Anyone figure out the cause yet?

Same here! First i knew of it was when the neighbours came round complaining!!! What causes it? Hope it doesnt happen again

Same issue here… I reset the floodlight camera via the button on top, then “set it up” via the app. I appears to have remembered all my previous settings. Finally, it did a firmware update. All is working fine now.

Had the same loud static noise too a few hours ago. Powered off and back on, it stopped rattling like a rattlesnake. While it was it was making the noise, I tested the two way audio, the panic alarm, and live view camera were functioning as usual. The only two things I could think of is that either the Ring is snooping around our privacy, or conducting a test. But then it wouldn’t stop if I did not reset the camera. One other thing could be the loss of Wi-Fi signal. Just my guess.

I too had the shrill sound emitting from camera.

Simply disconnected electric to it for 10 seconds and plugged it back in…problem solved

1 Like

This has just happened to me. Reset with circuit breaker on main panel and noise stopped. However siren and speaker sound like they’re underwater. It is raining, could be water ingress? It’s been up for a year in all weather and no previous issues.

So this issue just happened to me at 4am. Have no idea how long it was going on… my poor neighbors. Samething like everyone else I turned off the light switch and back on to resolve. Sooo ring what’s the fix??? Sounds like you guys a software issue or a huge recall at your hands.

1 Like

Just finished installing a floodlight pro cam to replace a battery powered stickup cam, as charging the batteries regularly was becoming a pain. As soon as it powered on I was greeted by extremely loud white noise playing from it’s speaker.

App reports good WiFi Signal, current temperature is 4C, tried all suggestions I’ve seen these pages, from power cycling it, resetting using the button on top, even rerunning set up to mobile hotspot then back to WiFi… still the noise remains only pausing when the camera yells it’s in set up mode.

A rapid solution to this from Ring would be very helpful as I am now minus a camera and a floodlight until this is fixed.

Hey neighbors. If the above mentioned steps haven’t correct the audio in your Floodlight Cam, I suggest reaching out to our support team. They’ll be able to take a deeper look into these static and buzzing noises. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Installed 2 Ring floodlight wired PRO…both with the same issue. First one was making that noise very loud from the speaker as well, only after the firmware update it lowered a little bit. Second one, installed, no noise, a few hours later, LIVE view with the same noise. Tested in different places around the house, different sockets, turned off my mesh Orbi and connected it to mobile hotspot, always the same noise. It looks like if it’s perfectly quiet and the mic is not picking up any noise, the sound is ok on it. :frowning: Help us Ring!

I’m 400klms away from my place at the moment and the poor neighbours are suffering the same experience of high pitched screeching as I just received a disgruntled phone call allerting me to the problem.
S’pose I’ll just have to cut the family visit short and go home tomorrow and fix it . . . Sigh!

We have 4 floodlight cameras over two,locations, and had to take a trip over tonight, as one of the cameras started to make a high pitched sound, as described by other users.

Thankfully, we have them installed on switches, so we were able to switch it off at the mains, but on inspections, the camera head unit was ridiculously hot, hot enough that we were not able to hold onto it.

Anyone else experienced this? We have it switched off for the night, but worried about switching it back on.

Thanks for creating this thread! Our Ring just did the same thing! Luckily for us we had a switch to turn ours off. Very bad defective issue for Ring.