Has anyone received a replacement camera they didn't ask for?

On 1/27/2020 I received this email from no-reply@ring.com:

| We’ve noticed that your Spotlight Battery may be having issues with motion detection, so we’d like to send you a free replacement. |
| In order to ship your new device, please answer a few quick questions. Tap the button below to get started. |
| Claim Free Device (This was in a blue button) |
| Once completed, we’ll email you the tracking info and send your new Spotlight Battery, along with a prepaid shipping label to recycle your previous device. |
| We appreciate you for choosing Ring to help make your neighborhood safer. |

I have two Spotlight Battery cameras, and I’ve never noticed either one of them having an issue. I checked the web to see if this was a known scam and found nothing about it. Nothing. Nothing at all. Not from Ring. Not from a blogger. Nothing.

So of course I decided to go ahead with it. It said they’d send a prepaid label, but I figured I’d just hang on to the “broken one” since there was no stated requirement to return it. Usually things like this have an asterisk stating the details of the deal but there was none. Above table is the entirety of the email minus signature stuff.

1/30/2020

I get this email:

Hi MY FIRST NAME,

This email is to confirm that a replacement Spotlight Cam Battery has been ordered for you. This request will be processed and shipped as soon as possible.

The request was made with the following information:

Request ID: BUNCH OF NUMBERS AND LETTERS

Customer Name: MY FULL NAME

Address:
MY FULL ADDRESS

As a reminder, we are providing you with a return label so that you may ship the original unit back at no cost to you!

**Important: ** Please be aware that if the original unit is not received within 30 days of the date of this message, you will be charged full retail price for the replacement. Please disregard this note if your original device was reported stolen.

Have questions? Contact us by email at help@ring.com.

Thanks,
Ring Community Support

1/31/2020

I get an email from help@ring.com telling me the camera has shipped along with tracking info.

2/5/2020

I received the new camera in its normal packaging all by itself in an outer box. No return shipping label. And still no indication of which one I should return.

2/6/2020

So I emailed their help folks and was sent two emails. One from help@ring.com asking for the code they sent in a separte email, the two MAC addresses, and all of my personal info (Don’t they already have it??) And the other from no-reply@ring.com with the code (like the multifactor authentication required for the login to the site (If you chose to use it)).

This is what they wanted to know (besides the MAC addresses):

Full Name :
Email :
Street Address :
City :
State :
Zip/Postal :
Phone # :

All but my phone number was in previous emails.

Before I send all this info I thought I’d check here and again, I’ve found Nothing about it.

Any one else have this occur? Should I trust it?

1 Like

Hi @jabrown0101. To verify this replacement and the emails that have been sent to you, please reach out to our support team here via phone. Once you give them a call they can look into this on your account and get it sorted out for you. Hope this helps!

Wow if this is true where are my replacements :laughing:

Very strange… why would they not be able to fix remotely like push an update! Unless its a hardware issue with the motion detection.

If the community manager does not know anything about it, must be a scam, unless RING provide not real updates to the community managers :flushed:

Hey @Mannyshere14. The Community is a place where neighbors can engage in positive interaction and share suggestions to assist one another, as well as feedback. As this is not a support forum, we are able to offer assistance and will often recommend our support team for matters specific to you and your Ring device, for the best experience. Our support team is able validate if the neighbor is receiving an email from Ring. This is an extra step we recommend neighbors to take anytime they feel they may have got a suspicious email.

Our team is always working to improve our devices, features, and our neighbor’s experience. To keep our neighbor’s security in mind, we always recommend to confirming private communications like this with our support team. I hope this helps! :smiley_cat:

@Chelsea_Ring wrote:

Hey @Mannyshere14. The Community is a place where neighbors can engage in positive interaction and share suggestions to assist one another, as well as feedback. As this is not a support forum, we are able to offer assistance and will often recommend our support team for matters specific to you and your Ring device, for the best experience. Our support team is able validate if the neighbor is receiving an email from Ring. This is an extra step we recommend neighbors to take anytime they feel they may have got a suspicious email.

Our team is always working to improve our devices, features, and our neighbor’s experience. To keep our neighbor’s security in mind, we always recommend to confirming private communications like this with our support team. I hope this helps! :smiley_cat:

Thanks for the clarification! always best to check with RING direct on these matters.

I kinda of thought this community ended up as a support forum but understand where your coming from even though you do try and offer support where you can. :smiley:

2 Likes