Floodlight override not working

Got a new floodlight. Read the documents online that say the toggle switch in the ring app overrides any other feature of the app so I interpret that to mean if I turn off the light it will not come on with any motion until I manually switch that toggle button back. Ring support tells me motion will always turn it back on. Sometimes I may not want it recording or the light to come on. Can it be turned off?

Hi there, @sgesualdi. While there is not a feature to have the lights not turn on or to not have the camera record motion, you can customize how long the lights stay on when there is motion detected. You can toggle this to whatever time frame seems fit under the Device Settings > Light Settings > Motion Zones for Lights.

For a better understanding of how the lights and motion detection works, please read this help article for more information! :smiley_cat:

I’m a little confused. This help article talks about a manual on/off switch for the lights. Does this not interact with detection?

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004155866-Controlling-the-Floodlights-and-Light-Settings-on-Your-Floodlight-Cam

Controlling the Floodlights and Light Settings on Your Floodlight Cam

Every function of the floodlights on your Floodlight Cam is available on your Ring App. The remainder of this article will explain the various controls available to utilize your floodlights.

Manual “Lights” Control

The manual “lights” control is the control that appears above the “motion alerts” toggle on your device’s main menu in the Ring app. Toggle this control to manually turn the floodlights on and off.

Note: This control overrules any other setting or controls that are set with the Ring app. Regardless of whether you’ve scheduled the lights to be on or off or whether it’s day or night, this control will always turn on your lights.

**Note: ** Quickly turning your lights on and off via a physical switch is actually a manual override of sorts and is found in any brand of floodlight, not just the Floodlight Cam, as a safety feature. To turn off your floodlights after a power cycle, use the manual “lights” control in your Ring app.