Floodlight Cam snapshot not working

Ring…have any meaningful, helpful response?

Hello, Ring?

Ring is not answering the call. There are mutliple threads with this same or very simliar issue. No action by Ring to address it, fix it, replace their junk cameras. Nothing.

These cameras are NOT inexpensive. Cheap, yes. But not inexpensive.

1 Like

I had conversations with customer services two times. The first guy told me he rebooted my device and should get the latest firmware. The second time they still can’t get the issue solved and he told me he would contact the manager and sent me an email in 48 hours. Still, nothing happened. No further answer about this issue, no firmware updated. Nothing! I installed 6 cameras in my home and most of them are working properly. I like the ring product but the services are kind of disappointed.

BTW, Happy New Year to all fo you, ring users and rings.

1 Like

I may have a resolution for this Floodlight cam issue that I’m having.

First, note, that Ring deleted my posts in the Ring Doorbell section. These posts were factual, did not violate any of the forum rules that I could tell, and were there to help other consumers make informed assessments on what to do.

Here’s my most recent post to that forum:

"Let me help with a resolution on this matter.

Today I returned my Ring Video Doorbell Pro and for some reason, decided 1 more time to exchange it for a new one.

I installed the new one today, and noticed that the Firmware was 1.16.00263. I thought…gee, now I’m going backwards when my prior defective device was stuck on Firmware 1.16.00272. But, in under 5 minutes of having the new device installed, the firmware was updated and now it shows, “Up to Date”.

Guess what…I have Snapshot Capture now.

So based on my experience, the fix was to return the defective 1.16.00272 device and I was fortunate to have picked one up that updated correctly.

Now, was that so hard?"

So, given that my Ring Floodlight cam remains stuck at 1.16.00273 (just like my doorbell at .00272) - the solution was to return the device and be fortunate to pick one that performed the Firmware update upon installation.

The only challenge with this, of course, is that I don’t know how to determine which devices at the store will work or not.

I hope that these posts have been helpful to the community. Sometimes a little honesty and directness will go a long way.

1 Like

My floodlight camera was bought at Costco and I had thrown the box away so I think I can’t return it to Costco and will try to ask ring to return the camera direct to them to get a new one.

I also have 3 indoor wired cameras, two were bought about 2 weeks ago and I bought the third 3 days ago. They are all “up-to-date” but only the latest one has the “snapshot” option, the other two don’t have this menu and can’t get the snapshot at all.

@BowieFYI. I’ve read on the Costco website reviews that supposedly you can still return items even if you’ve thrown away the box. This was stated in Costo replies to product reviews. I’ve never actually tried it myself…

@Bowie wrote:

My floodlight camera was bought at Costco and I had thrown the box away so I think I can’t return it to Costco and will try to ask ring to return the camera direct to them to get a new one.

I also have 3 indoor wired cameras, two were bought about 2 weeks ago and I bought the third 3 days ago. They are all “up-to-date” but only the latest one has the “snapshot” option, the other two don’t have this menu and can’t get the snapshot at all.

My floodlight camera hasn’t captured snapshots for two weeks since I installed it, now it’s working. I turned off snapshot capture in the device setting and saved, then turned on snapshot capture and saved. Now I have images saved for the last 40 minutes. Hopefully this works for everyone else.

1 Like

@meme wrote:

@BowieFYI. I’ve read on the Costco website reviews that supposedly you can still return items even if you’ve thrown away the box. This was stated in Costo replies to product reviews. I’ve never actually tried it myself…

@Bowie wrote:

Thank you @meme for the return policy info. I am gonna wait for a little while longer to see if it eventually gets updated otherwise return it to Costco or ring maybe?

I’ve been having other problems with two floodlight cams (lights turning on by themselves every 30 minutes) in addition to the lack of snapshot capture. The floodlight cam firmware was stuck on an old version. Someone had posted on another thread that their firmware managed to update last night. My floodlight cams firmware had not updated on their own. But then below is what I did, and it seems that the snapshot capture is working… I will monitor over a day or so. Here is what I did:

1) Power-cycled the floodlight cams: Floodlight cams are on lightswitch. So, I turned them off for about a minute and then turned them back on. About half an hour later, I checked and saw that both floodlight cams now show that the firmware is “Up to Date.”

2) Turned Snapshot capture off and back on: Then, I turned the snapshot capture off and then saved. What I have found is that in order for my Ring app to register any changes in the snapshot capture, I have to click on “Learn more” in order for the blue “Save” in the upper right hand corner of the screen to become dark blue so that I can save the change in the setting. Then I went back into the app and changed the snapshot capture back on. Again, I had to click on “Learn more” again for the app to recognize the change in the snapshot capture and be able to save. Also, you may have to shut down the app and restart if things are still misbehaving. Note that I have an android phone (Samsung). I think I am getting snapshot captures, but please note that it’s only been about an hour since I’ve done all this…

Will need to confirm over time that snapshot capture is actually working…

2 Likes

Yes! My snapshot is working too! It seems to toggle the “snapshot” off, save the setting, wait for a while, then my firmware got updated. Now it shows “Up-to-date” and the snapshot works like a charm!

My snapshot is now working, aslo and the firmware is up to date.

Bad first expereince with Ring.

Confirmed! My firmware updated also. Just powered cycled it as stated above. I did turn off snapshot before the power cycle. Not sure if that was a factor.
I still need to try it out to see if all the issues are fixed.

Agreed. It appears Ring has figured out the issue here. As of yesterday all 3 of my cameras now have snapshot working. Snapshot was working on one of my cameras when I checked yesterday. This one had “Up To Date” firmware as well. (it was previously 1.16.00273) The other two were still not working and still showed a firmware of 1.16.00273. I toggled snapshot off on these two cameras, let them sit for a few minutes, then toggeled it back on. I believe the firmware was updated upon toggling snapshot off. Either way upon toggling snapshot on the two non updated cameras they now show firmware as “Up To Date” as well and are working as promised.

I’m a happy camper, not sure exactly what Ring did, but I’ll take it. Wish they would be a bit more transparent about things like this though. At least admit there is an issue and they are working on rolling out a hotfix.

Hi guys, I am glad that all of us got the ‘snapshot’ function working. However, I found the new version of this firmware makes the audio quality worse than before. As the old firmware (my was 1.16.00273), the sound in the video was loud and clear. With the latest firmware (which supports “snapshot” function ) the audio is vague with a lot of noise. How about your floodlight cam with the new firmware?

@Bowie I did a couple quick tests on floodlight cams. When I talk through my app, the speakers are a bit staticy but loud enough. I think that was the case before. However when I talk to the floodlight cams from outside, my voice can barely be heard as incomprehensible mumbling on the videos. The video however did pick up the sound of my footsteps and the motorcycle in the background. Even when I am right under the floodlight cam when talking to it loudly, I can barely be heard through the app or in the video. I don’t think it was that bad before the update. This is on a floodlight cam with RSSI In the 40s, which is pretty good. And using their internet speed tester, download speed over 80mbps and upload over 20mbps.

@Bowie wrote:

Hi guys, I am glad that all of us got the ‘snapshot’ function working. However, I found the new version of this firmware makes the audio quality worse than before. As the old firmware (my was 1.16.00273), the sound in the video was loud and clear. With the latest firmware (which supports “snapshot” function ) the audio is vague with a lot of noise. How about your floodlight cam with the new firmware?

@meme wrote:

@Bowie I did a couple quick tests on floodlight cams. When I talk through my app, the speakers are a bit staticy but loud enough. I think that was the case before. However when I talk to the floodlight cams from outside, my voice can barely be heard as incomprehensible mumbling on the videos. The video however did pick up the sound of my footsteps and the motorcycle in the background. Even when I am right under the floodlight cam when talking to it loudly, I can barely be heard through the app or in the video. I don’t think it was that bad before the update. This is on a floodlight cam with RSSI In the 40s, which is pretty good. And using their internet speed tester, download speed over 80mbps and upload over 20mbps.

@Bowie wrote:

Thank you @meme, I am a subscription user so I can download videos from the ring server to compare my previous video and new firmware video. You are right, the footstep and vehicle sound is kind of ok, but the human voice is very bad in these new videos. Voices also have background noise with them. I suppose there is something changed in the new firmware cause this issue.

I am having this issue with my floodlight cam. I spent over an hour on the phone with customer service to no avail. Firmware is updated, toggled capture on and off, deleted app and reinstalled. I am using an Iphone 11Max Pro. This problem hust really started about a week ago. It only updates if I go to live view or go to device settings and go back to snapshot.

Tech support lies to you. Ring is a good cam however they have no clue for troubleshooting. They lie through their teeth and hope you go away. Rarely do we ever see a real solution. and it is always our equipment, not theirs!

Hello neighbors! If the Snapshot Capture feature on your Ring Security Camera or Doorbell isn’t working, please try the troubleshooting steps listed below.

• Review your Event History Timeline first to see look for any snapshots from the Snapshot Capture feature, as this is where they’ll appear after they’re taken.
  • Toggle the Snapshot Capture feature off and then toggle it back on in the Ring app. Test it out to see if snapshots are taken and appear in your Event Timeline.
  • Check the RSSI in the Device Health page of your Ring app to ensure your Ring Camera or Doorbell has a stable wifi connection.
  • Reset your Ring Camera or Doorbell by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. After the reset is done, set your Ring device back up in the Ring app using the steps under Set Up a Device. Turn the Snapshot Capture feature back on and test it out.

If your Snapshot Capture is still not working after trying the steps above, please follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here so they can take a closer look. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: