Floodlight Cam has been flickering/strobing for several days

The floodlight cam started to flash/strobe a coup leof weeks ago. I have tried everything from checking wiring, to reseting, to a device health report. Nothing seems to fix it and the light intensity is becoming very weak to the point that I have turned off the light to stop annoying the neighbors.

Based on what I found on the web, there is not fix to this as the LED elements are not replaceable. I have seen DIY videos on YouTube where people buy a cheap floodlight and replace the entire optical assemblies, which seems crazy to me.

has anyone found a different solution? Is there an option to get a replacement unit and return the one that has failed?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Hi @Mauro! It sounds like you’ve covered all the right steps for this to work properly. The only variable I would add to check here, is that you do not have a specialty switch or dimmer switch controlling this Floodlight power. Otherwise, our support team will certainly be able to assist further with this by phone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Marley. I checked for switches but the floodlight wiring is connected to the main panel. I will contact support. Thank you.

1 Like

I am having the same problem wit my floodlight camera light flickering constantly. How did you resolve the problem?

1 Like

I have the same issue. I was told it was out of warranty and I would be allowed to purchase another one at 35% off. Camera and IR work still. Waste of money for something that should be fixable. They say there lights are good for 10 years.

3 Likes

Having same issue, is there a number to talk to someone?!? These prompts are the worst

2 Likes

Hey neighbors! If you’re still having this concern, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I am also experiencing the same issue. It is connected to the panel. I was also told that these bulbs will work for 10 years, but they failed within a year and a half. Given the number of such reports here and on Amazon forum, I would consider this a manufacturing defect.

7 Likes

i am not seeing the solution, have the same problem,flashing for a week now.

i have same issue with light flickering and called ring 4 times already, they have walked me through re-setting up the ring and didn’t work, told me that one of advance tech will call me yesterday and that didn’t happen. Just called ring now and they are still not able to get help. Again, the light is suppose to last 10 years and it’s only been a year. No worth it to spend $200+ on a product only last a year.

4 Likes

Mine just began flickering, too and now the lights are out and only the cam is flashing. In reading all these recent reports, it would appear this Ring Floodlight does not last and is defective. Mine is about a half year old. My neighbor’s also failed but did last longer than six months.

1 Like

I have the same problem. The LEDs started flickering after 2 years of use.

Sinse there is no spare parts are available at Ring, I will replace it to the new one at Costco.

If Costco will have too many returns of Ring products they will stop selling it.

Ring, improove the quality and support your products!

3 Likes

hi Did costco take it back ? i bought my from costco, too. Ring was not able to fix flecking issue and offer a 30% discount on a new purchase. Just don’t think we should spend another $150 for another defected product that will last only a year. Will post my experiece with Ring on facebook and youtube to let people know. Horrible, horrible customer service.

4 Likes

So sounds like 1.5 to 2 years is the life on this not the 10 year they advertise. This is happening to me now (2 years in), unfortunately I went all in on Ring and have 5 cameras, 8 devices total (not including sensors and keypad) I like the idea of purchasing through Costco because it seems like they might be more receptive to customer issues, FYI battery on motion sensor I purchased through Ring didn’t last 3 months and they basically said too bad, also the Ring solar sign for $50 lasted less than six months :frowning:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about this neighbors! A Floodlight Cam that is flickering might be exhibiting low power behavior. If there is a switch associated with your Camera, please ensure it is not a dimmer switch and that it is turned on and not tampered with. If you feel like you need to check wiring, we recommend consulting with a licensed electrician.

Hitting the breaker, or switch, associated with this Floodlight Cam, waiting a moment, and turning it back on, might resolve this. If it does not, please perform a reset on the Floodlight Camera by holding the setup button for 20 seconds. Once complete, perform a new setup in the Ring app and test to see if this concern is resolved.

If this concern persists, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

When seeking a replacement, keep in mind that our devices feature a limited warranty explained further on our Warranty page. Subscribing to a Protect Plus plan prior to the warranty expiring will extend your warranty for the duration you are subscribed for. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

I checked the wiring twice and have checking every steps of hardware installation. Plus did the rest with your customer service twice and still didn’t work. Just wonder if cost will take it back after 1.5yrs.

Hello, i’m having a similar problem and my ring cams are connected to the Lutron system. I attempted to turn the Lutron system totally on for these particular lights(Lutron switch does have dimming capability) , but the ring camera continues to flicker and lose connection on a regular basis even when the Lutron system says the switch is on. Is there a special set up I need to do when connected to the Lutron system?

After confirming my floodlights are defective and strobing, I reached out to Ring customer service. They were very helpful and are sending me a replacement unit and shipping to return the defective floodlight cam. So far I’m impressed with their response.

2 Likes

I have this same issue. I tried resetting the floodcam and turning it off and on again. The camera and two-way audio are working as expected, but the lights just keep flickering.

Ahh…started flickering 4-5 weeks ago a bit and now increased and a lot…it is not all leads inside only 3-4 …once warmer it is better so I think they have an issue with the power supply inside the floodlight - -> quality issues and voltage must be oscillating. My one is hardwired no switch whatsoever. Will call support rmw…