Floodlight Cam Lights coming on constantly

@kjohnrussell

Thanks for your reply.

I also thought from the very beginning that it’s a bad batch of floodlight cams. Hopefully, it will help if they see that I am not the only one with these issues.

There is another discussusion that I found last night of the exact same issue, and I’ve posted some replies there and have sent the link to the level 2 that is working on this.

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/floodlight-cam-lights-go-on-every-30-mins-for-about-20-secs/td-p/5655

After calling Ring support several times over a couple days, I was able to speak directly with a Level 2 on Saturday night, and we spent about 2 hours troubleshooting and running various tests. He escalated (to software engineers).

What has been determined is

1. It is NOT related to the sensitivity (distance) setting in the light settings. Thus not related to external motion triggers. I am glad that you have also tested and noted that this is not the issues. This has been tested more than three times by me and then by Ring several times now. They need to stop trying to test this, as it is a waste of time. Plus, reducing the functionality of the lights would not be an acceptable solution, as then an intruder would practically be in your house by the time the lights turn on. There would be no light deterrent and little hope that you get a decent picture of the intruder.

2. It is not due to electrical issues.

3. Neither of my floodlight cameras are able to update the firmware, even through a cellphone hotspot.

What is the firmware version for your floodlight(s)?

Can you please post your replies to the other thread? I think it would help if Ring saw in one posting that many people are having this issue.

Thanks.

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/floodlight-cam-lights-go-on-every-30-mins-for-about-20-secs/td-p/5655

@kjohnrussell wrote:

It is a new device, purchased about one-two months ago. Personally, I think the passive infrared (PIR) is defective on these newer versions of the floodlight cams is defective (or something).

That said, if you go into Device Settings | Light Settings | Motion Zones for Lights – this is where you can set the distance for motion sensing. This is what controls when the light comes on, not motion but PIR. I have been slowly turning this to shorter and shorter distances and that SEEMS to help, but it’s hard to say. I have mine set almost to min but my light is still going on periodically.

Just to be clear, the light sensor is NOT tied to the motion sensor. You can (as I have done) keep the motion sensitivity turned to whatever level you would like. The motion sensor is what triggers recording - lights or not.

Let me know if that helps you.

5 Likes