Floodlight Cam Lights coming on constantly

@sstaarzz

We have the same problem with one set of floodlights right outside the bedroom window and the other one also visible.

A couple things to keep in mind about the floodlight cams. The lights and the camera have two separately operating motion detection systems. The cameras are pixel based motion detection, and the people only setting applies only to the camera. The lights have PIR (passive infrared) motion detection. You’ll notice that they have completely different settings in the app. The camera coming on does not automatically turn on the lights. Similarly, but lights can come on by themselves without the camera.

In my experience, bugs like moths sometimes will set off only the camera but not the lights at night. For example, when I check the video, I see a moth with the lights still off. Bugs don’t trigger the cameras very often.

However, movement of bushes and plants from the wind can easily trigger the lights at night. So if you have any plants near the floodlight cam, try to adjust the settings zones to avoid them if possible. But the problem is that there are only three zones for lights. You can try to reduce the distance. When it’s windy, sometimes I have to turn off 1-2 zones and reduce the distance.

Regarding the light toggle switch and the yellow light bulb to control the lights. Because there is a lag from your phone to Ring systems to the floodlight cam, it can get a little funky betwen the two controls. The toggle switch can oftentimes seemingly turn itself back on. I find that the yellow light bulb is a bit more definitive on whether it’s on or off.

Also, when the devices start misbehaving, sometimes a power cycle (e.g., from the light switch that controls junction box) can help to reset things.

And there’s always the possibility that the device is defective. Calling Ring Help depends on who you get. However they are polite, and they do try to help. For more complicated issues, I almost always have to call multiple times and then ask for a Level 2 if there is no progress. Ultimately if the device needs to be replaced, it’ll have to go through Ring Help.

1 Like