cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Floodlight Cam Lights coming on constantly

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Floodlight Cam Lights coming on constantly

I just got and installed my first of two Floodlight cams.  When I got home last night I found the light was on so I turned it off manually.  The light cam back on in a few seconds.  I turned it off again and it did the same thing.  So, I left it by itself and it turned on then off for a few seconds and back on constantly. I checked to see if there were any alerts and there was nothing noted.  My wife told me that it was doing it all night.  I ended up turning the whole camera off for the night.

Any ideas?  I checked and I don't have a schedule and as I have stated I don't have any alerts.  

I turned it back on this morning and so far the light hasn't come on.  

43 REPLIES 43
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Floodlight Cam Lights coming on constantly

Sorry to hear about this @rwheelwright! The Floodlight Cam has two methods of motion detection, one to notify and one for lights. The 270 degree field of view for the lights to trigger allows for it to catch approaching heat signatures efficiently. Sometimes this can be triggered too often and settings need to be fine tuned. Check out our help center article on how to best control the lights of your Floodlight Cam.

I recommend also checking the surrounding area for any potential heat signatures as well as adjusting the physical angle the Floodlight Cam is facing. Please let us know how this goes!

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I had to adjust the settings under lighting and make the area much smaller.  However, the night that it kept going on and off it was ~50 outside and no heat that I know off.  That light is in the back of the house facing the deck and trees.  The light would turn on for 30 seconds, turn off for 4 - 5 seconds and back on.  It was a continuous loop.  

Highlighted
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @rwheelwright! If lights begin to trigger too often again, I recommend adjusting your zones to the smallest setting. If it persists, please call our support team who can perform more  in depth troubleshooting steps with you. Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I have this same issue with wired floodlight cam.  I have had this floodlight working well since June. One night last week, I noticed that the lights were coming on continually for about 30 seconds and then turn off for a few seconds and keep repeating this cycle. I tried adjusting the controls and turning off the lights in the app but it would turn itself back on.  I turned the power off for the night and turned it on the next night and had the same problem.  I was able to turn down the light sensor range way down to stop the lights from coming on but now you have to be within a couple of feet of the light to trigger it which is basically useless. I noticed that this happened around the same time that I started using the Rapid Ring App.  

Highlighted
Community Manager

Interesting, @YK2000 . Have you tried deleting the Rapid Ring App to see if this continues to happen?

Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.
New Neighbor

No, I have not deleted the Rapid Ring App.  However, I did download the latest Ring App update today and reset the light settings and the lights seem to be back to normal at this time. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I have the same problem. I have a several spotlight cams (purchased a year ago) that work perfectly! I added a new one to my set and the newer one has the PIR and the light is going on constantly!  Based on this thread, I've turned the light sensor down pretty low (but I like the motion sensor up to capture any activity). I'll watch it tonight to see if turning down the light sensor helps.

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

Kjohnrussell,

When did you get your new floodlight camera? This past Thursday I installed 2 replacement floodlight cameras that had manufacture dates of October 2019. What I finally figured out on Friday night is that both floodlight cameras keep automatically turning on the floodlights (not the cameras just the lights) every 30 minutes on the dot all night long. There is nothing outside that is triggering this. Are your cameras doing something similar?

I've spent the last four days trying to first figure out what was happening and troubleshoot myself, then on the phone with ring support for hours. They haven't been able to figure it out, and they say that I'm the only one having this problem....

Please let me know if you're having the same issue!
Highlighted
New Neighbor

It is a new device, purchased about one-two months ago. Personally, I think the passive infrared (PIR) is defective on these newer versions of the floodlight cams is defective (or something).

That said, if you go into Device Settings | Light Settings | Motion Zones for Lights  -- this is where you can set the distance for motion sensing. This is what controls when the light comes on, not motion but PIR. I have been slowly turning this to shorter and shorter distances and that SEEMS to help, but it's hard to say. I have mine set almost to min but my light is still going on periodically.

Just to be clear, the light sensor is NOT tied to the motion sensor. You can (as I have done) keep the motion sensitivity turned to whatever level you would like. The motion sensor is what triggers recording - lights or not.

Let me know if that helps you.