Floodlight Cam Light Sensitivity

Users need to be able to change the light sensitivity on the floodlight cam. My light (not motion) constantly turns on all night if it is raining or snowing.

3 Likes

Hey @canadianclimate. Please check out our Ring Help Center Article here for more information on how to control the lights on the Floodlight cam. Hope this helps!

Great but that doesnā€™t fix the issue of the sensor being to sensitive. Probably something that should be looked at.

We will certainly share your feedback with our teams, @canadianclimate! Weā€™re always working and looking for ways to improve our neighbor experience. In the meantime, I recommend checking the area near your Floodlight Cam for any heat signatures. These can be vehicles, HVAC/ warm appliances, or even a dryer/ heat exhaust vent on the home.

The floodlights on your Floodlight Cam are operated by passive infrared heat detection and have a radius of 270 degrees, while the camera unit on your Floodlight Cam notifies you of movement within the cameras field of view and has a range of 140 degrees. As a result, there will be times where something outside the range of the camera activates the lights.

Minimizing sensitivity or even angling the Floodlight Camera differently, could help with light detection.

1 Like

Yes you can adjust, what appears to be the RANGE of what triggers the lights in the app. I agree that the SENSITIVITY needs to be addressed. Rain triggers my lights all the time. On my indoor cams you can adjust the sensitivity for all motion or just to pick up human traffic. The same adjustment factor would be appreciated here. Thanks.

Hi there,

I seem to be having a very similar issue. My floodlight cam is positioned on the front of my house covering my driveway and whilst the motion sensors work very well, the floodlight sensitivity seems to be very high and the lights come on when people walk on the pavement at the end of my driveway (approx 7-8 meters away from the camera)

I have gone into the light specific settings and turned the sensitivity down to a minimum on all 3 zones, however its still picking people up at that distance. Surely the ā€˜minimumā€™ setting should require heat to be detected at a much shorter distance to activate the lights than what it is?

Thanks
Adam

Iā€™m having the same issues with both of my floodlight cams. They are way too sensitive and constantly turn on and off. My neighbors are going to go nuts so Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m just going to have to turn the light portion off which kind of defeats the purpose of a floodlight cam. There is no heat or anything else in the area that should be turning the light on constantly. The motion zones are set at the minimum but that doesnā€™t seem to change anything. Before my Ring was installed I had a couple different inexpensive motion lights in the same location and they worked flawlessly. Youā€™d think for the amount of money a floodlight cam costs they would be able to make it work properly. Iā€™ve spoken with customer service on the phone and I could have just as well been talking to a rock. No help whatsoever.

SUGGESTION: Seems too simple to me
When i set my ā€œmotion settingsā€ to ā€œPeople only Modeā€, a recording event is successfully started when people are detected. If a record event is occurring, the lights should also be triggered when it is dark or when the schedule suggests the light should be triggered simultaneously with a recording event.
For example, above my driveway I have installed a floodlight cam. Gnats, YES GNATS, are turning the lights on but not triggering a ā€œpeople only modeā€ recording event. So my lights are turning on and off every 30 seconds. It is ridiculous. I have lights to the left and right of my driveway, but the Ring floodlight cam does a great job of lighting up practically my entire front yard.
I would like to tell my ring floodlight camera "if it is between the hours of 8pm and 7am, and a ā€œpeople only modeā€ recording event (people motion) has been triggered, TURN THE FLOOD LIGHTS ON simultaneously when the recording begins.
Right now, light activated motion seems separate from camera recordingā€¦that seems very counterintuitive.
In ā€œpeople only modeā€, there should be an option to turn the lights on at night only when people are detected.
For people that have lights near their floodlight cam, lights that might brighten the area around the cam making it incredibly sensitive to bug motion or GNATS (gnats for godā€™s sake), a scheduled light event should be triggered coordinated with the recording event.
This is annoying enough to make me want to return BOTH floodlight cams. If the spotlight cams behave in the same way (recently ordered them havent received), it will be enough for me to return the entire system.

1 Like

Iā€™m having the same problem. My light activates ALL THE TIME over things such as gnats or just bugs. Makes the floodlight cam virtually unusable because we have to leave the light off so I donā€™t drive my neighbors crazy. My cheap motion light from Loweā€™s never did that so why canā€™t the sensitivity be addressed?

Hey neighbors! Check out our Help Center article for tips on controlling the lights for your Floodlight Camera. Adjust the motion settings and checking for environmental factors that might be triggering the lights is a great step. Please also consider if you have a light switch or dimmer switch controlling the power to the Floodlight Camera, and ensure there is no one flipped the switch or any obstructions hitting it.

If this concern persists despite trying the above, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.