cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External lights on all the time

Highlighted
New Neighbor

External lights on all the time

I've had a spotlight cam mount for about 8 months and have it connected to an external spotlight as described in the manual.  It's been working fine, where the external spotlight comes on when the cam detects motion or when I choose to turn it on in the app.   It's a nice feature.

All of a sudden,the external spotlight is on all the time.  The control in the app turns the ring lights on and off, but no matter what I do the external spotlight stays on.  My cam firmware is up to date,I've updated the ring app and removed the device and added it back.  No luck, no matter what I do the external light stays on.  For now I have resorted to removing the bulb because I can't haveiton all day and all night.   Any suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: External lights on all the time

Hi @Cxbarry. Can you clarify what you mean when you say that you have an external spotlight that the Spotlight Cam is connected to? Is this a separate light or are you referring to the light on the Spotlight Cam itself? If possible, can you attach a picture of your Spotlight Cam where it is currently installed? I'd be happy to take a look and see what might be going on. Smiley Happy

Curious and want to learn more about the Community? Visit our Community 101 - New Member Checklist here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Hi Caitlyn,

I have what Ring calls the "spotlight cam mount" which is the version that is hard wired into an electrical box and does not have its own spotlight.   Following the instructions in the manual,  I connected it to an external spotlight that I had an electrician install, using the red wire from the camera.   It worked fine up until very recently, and now the light is simply on all the time as I described.  This is what I am referring to

Connecting External lights to your Spotlight-Cam-Mount 

Thanks for any help,

Chris

Highlighted
Community Manager

@Cxbarry Thank you for providing that clarification. In this case, it may be best to reach out to a licensed electrician and have them check the wiring from the Camera to the external spotlight to ensure everything looks good. It may also be helpful to touch base with our support team directly at one of the numbers available here. They can walk you through any basic troubleshooting but they may refer you to an electrician for the wiring concerns as well. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Smiley Happy

Curious and want to learn more about the Community? Visit our Community 101 - New Member Checklist here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

So I had a licensed electrian check the camera and external light wiring and the diagnosis is the wiring is fine (that light has been there for 20 years connected to my old motion sensor light) but the Ring camera red wire (from the diagram I referenced above) is hot (energized) all the time.  This would indicate either a failure in the Ring camera or a bad firmware update, but I suspect the camera is bad as I see no one else with the same issue.  How do I go about getting this replaced, or what next steps are necessary?   

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I just installed my floodlight ring camera in the same manner as you, at first it worked fine then about a day later it was “offline”, I tried resetting it, I resetting my WiFi, I have an eero extender, in fact 3, I tried turning the switch off for a day, when I turn the switch back on a green light flashes once then the floodlights come on and will not turn off. I only have white and black wires along with the ground, I have taken down 3 or 4 times checking if it was wired correctly, I’m also thinking it may be a faulty camera, I’m sure Ring has their share of defective products, just letting you know you aren’t the only one with this problem! By the way, my floodlight camera is on the backside of the garage which is the east side and I have another stick up camera on the north side of the garage not more than 3feet apart and it works perfect, the one on the north side is solar powered with 1 battery installed, have no issues with that one.
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey neighbors! Since both of you have looked at the wiring already and have similar concerns with your devices, it would be best for you to reach out to our support team directly so they can take a deeper look at this. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Smiley Happy